PDA

View Full Version : Might be moving to Milwaukee

Jamesurq
02/20/2004, 12:43 PM
Hey everyone in Wisconsin, I'm currently looking at a job in Menomonee Falls, north of Milwaukee.

Can anyone tell me what nice neighborhoods are within a short commute (30 mins or less).

Looking for:

Good schools
Low crime
Subdivision style living
4 bedroom house for under $350k.

Any help is appreciated.

Creade
02/21/2004, 09:23 AM
West of Menomonee Falls youll find all of those things.
Also in Kenosha, probably 45 min commute youll find the same.

Theres a literal ton of small little subdivisions all over the place sprouting up.
I dont see a problem finding all of those things. Maybe someone actually in Milwaukee could give you some better thoughts on exact location as Im not sure of real estate value within the City.

Creade

longahan
02/23/2004, 09:26 AM
I live in West Bend,its about 15 min from the falls.Its a good place to live but only one lfs and they have no corals.Hope you find a place.

T Sandman
03/11/2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by longahan
I live in West Bend,its about 15 min from the falls.Its a good place to live but only one lfs and they have no corals.Hope you find a place.

Is that Pets plus Or something like that over off 45? They have really good prices on fish and salt.

reefmeup
03/12/2004, 12:43 AM
anywhere in south east wi will probably be great for you and your family - except the city of milwaukee..

luckly you didn't ask about a good lfs we don't seem to have a "total package" for reef stuff in our area

Jamesurq
03/12/2004, 09:03 AM
I do mail order anyway. How's Mequon to live?

Niven
03/12/2004, 02:09 PM
Mequon is comparable to Brookfield, better then Menomonee Falls. I work with a guy that lives in Mequon, I work in Brookfield, it takes him 30-35 min to get here. 350k might get you a 4 bedroom. It's a nice area.
Gareth

Jamesurq
03/12/2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks. I'll be there Sunday and Monday figuring out some things. I'll have to look y'all up if I move.

Niven
03/12/2004, 02:23 PM
Mequon is comparable to Brookfield, better then Menomonee Falls. I work with a guy that lives in Mequon, I work in Brookfield, it takes him 30-35 min to get here. 350k might get you a 4 bedroom. It's a nice area.
Gareth

Jamesurq
03/12/2004, 04:00 PM
That's funny - I heard the same thing before from someone...;)

T Sandman
03/15/2004, 07:40 PM
Jamesurq, you own a subaru? Nice pic in your avatar.

Jamesurq
03/16/2004, 11:55 AM
ya dude - 02 wrx. Thanks. BTW - got back from Milwaukee last night.... damn it's cold and windy. Not like I'm suprised though. Got back to Greensboro at 10:30 PM. Raining and chilly (for here)... 54 degrees...Brrrrr....:D

MiddletonMark
03/16/2004, 12:05 PM
You hit some nasty weather here last weekend ... the weekend before [at least in Madison] it was in the very low 50's. Totally unpredictable time of year here now ...

brians_224
03/17/2004, 09:25 PM
Hey.

I live in Brookfield. Nice suburbia living. Good schools.

http://www.ci.brookfield.wi.us

If you are looking for more of the urban suburbia - small lots, old homes, sidewalks, neighborhood grocers, etc check out shorewood or whitefishbay, they are north of downtown milwaukee.

As for lfs check, out hoffers tropic life on the corner of 76th street and good hope in Milwaukee. Pricey, but they have a ton of livestock, well cared for.

Be willing to answer any questions you might have, I've lived in south eastern wi all of my 33 years.

This is a site i used to locate our home - http://www.wihomes.com/ I used the county search. Brookfield and Menomonee Falls are all in Waukesha County.

HTH

perpetual98
03/29/2004, 11:36 PM
You might want to check out the Hartford area. Shouldn't be too far from the Falls and the housing prices are a lot better.

Niven
03/30/2004, 01:56 PM
Check this out http://www.silverblades.net/forums/index.php?

Herbert T. Kornfeld
04/15/2004, 02:24 AM
I live in Downtown Milwaukee, with family all over. My 'rents have a house in Mequon. This is part of Ozaukee County, the richest county in the nation on the north border of Milwaukee. It's schools are the best in the state. The crime is low...real low (overpayed and easily excitable cops). You might have a hard time finding a 4 bedroom for that little however. Even in the older parts of Mequon, homes are rarely under $500,000. It has a little industry and commercial development, and is an easy commute to just about anywhere in the north end of the city.

Overall, the same can be said for Brookfield, but it is part of Waukeesha Co...not the greatest despite Brookfield's huge population of Doctors and Lawyers. This does bring it down some with regards to schools and crime. It has a bustling commercial area, it's own mall and more. It is the western border of Milwaukee. Some of the nearby Milwaukee communities are very nice places to live. Elm Grove, Wauwatosa (where Im going to pick up corals tomorrow), and others like Greenfield, are very much integrated with Brookfield...more so than the city to the east. They are older communities, and rather nice. This might be a little too far south for you, but a major highway runs directly from it to the Falls...speaking of...

Menomonee Falls is claimed to be the largest villiage in the nation. Why? Because it has the population of a city, yet refuses to incorp itself in ways that would qualify it as a city. This means less police, fire, school funds...and lower taxes. It has a pretty good schooling system, and one could find 4 bed places for about $350K. Great place to raise kids really.

I grew up in a section just west of the Falls...Sussex. This is an often overlooked community. It has seen some recent development along with nearby Oconomowoc. Overall a great place to live. Almost country, yet due to convenient placement of highways, one can make it to downtown Milwaukee in under 30 minutes. Heck, anywhere in that amount...Mequon, Falls, Southside, etc. Cheap and safe. Good schools. LOOOOOW crime.

North of Mequon, you have Grafton and Cedarburg. Parts of Ozaukee Co. still, so you get all the benefits (low crime and good schools), but dont have to put up with the $2,000,000+ homeowners in their Porches with brat kids driving. Due to the highways easily within 15minutes of the Falls, and 25minutes t downtown Milwaukee.

If you dont mind me adding, the city isnt all that bad either. Glendale is a unique community that you could easily find a $350,000 4 bedroom in. It has been a recent 'icon' community and been under various research studies due to it's unique (read one of a kind) composition. It has a rich north section, poorer south section, a high school which beats out even Ozaukee's Homestead High on academics every other year, very good police, bustling industry, expanding commercial zone, etc. It is like a huge city in a small area. And the lowest taxes in the state! Go figure. The other northshore communities are also good ideas to look into. Bayside, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point...all wonderful areas to live, although except for Whitefish Bay, very very expensive. Very cool areas however. You just have to see for yourself. If you really want eye candy, go see River Hills, just north of Glendale. Good luck finding a home there for less than $2mil.

Pretty much, for what you want, just stay away from 'North Milwaukee' & Brown Deer.

Good Places within your price range:
1. Falls
2. Germantown
3. Glendale
4. Grafton / Cedarburg
5. Sussex/Lannon County Area
6. Wauwatosa

Mequon, Brookfield are just too much bling and not really worth it anymore IMO.

Jamesurq
04/15/2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks! Great overview. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I don't know) I'm not moving to Milwaukee.