PDA

View Full Version : OT: Aquaclear Filter help

Kennetht
02/19/2004, 06:31 PM
We had a power outage this week, and no neither of my aquaclear filters work. When I plug them up the motors get REALLY hot....but they don't pump. Will replacing the impellers fix my problem or not? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sir Knight
02/19/2004, 06:57 PM
Kennetht,
The first thing I would try is cleaning the impeller assembly to see if this frees it up. It sound like a buildup of junk.
Junk is a technical term:D

Hope this helps

Kennetht
02/19/2004, 07:16 PM
I took the motor off and washed it out good, and replaced teh impeller after cleaning....same thing.

EvilMel
02/19/2004, 07:35 PM
Could the power outage have fried the motors or made them seize up?

imsqueak
02/19/2004, 08:20 PM
try putting in the impeller and putting power to it while dry (just a couple seconds). If it jumps around, good. If it doesnt, bad. You can try to replace the impeller but I'd try just wet-sanding it down a little bit and trying it dry again. They fail much more to crusted impellers and burnt engines then loss of magnitism. help it along with a snap of the fingers on the impeller. If that doesnt show good signs, dont by an impeller, buy a new filter. Just my 2cents.

Squeak

Kennetht
02/19/2004, 08:31 PM
I'll give it a try....thanks for the help

cee
02/20/2004, 09:56 PM
Hand-spin the impeller with power applied. The motor will get hot if it is not spinning the rotor, since the amount of current required to start the motor is less than that required to keep it going. I'll spare you the technical details...

easttn
02/21/2004, 09:59 AM
Soak the filter parts vinegar overnight. They will look brand new, if it don't work after that you will probably have to replace.