PDA

View Full Version : Tank Raised Clowns?

Neowind
02/19/2004, 03:59 PM
Hello I know I am new to the boards but had a quick question. Are tank raised clowns more active than natural ones? I love clowns and was looking for the most active and to find one with the most personality. Anyone know the answer to this?

Pandarian
02/19/2004, 05:37 PM
Im not sure what you mean by active. But most tank raised clowns should be more active then wc ones. My definition of active is, most tank raised clowns have no clue what a host is. They usually spend thier time swimming on tops of tank beging for food instead of spending time in thier beloved hosts. Although tank raised clowns are always better, you will have better odds of a wild caught one taking to a host. My cb clowns are usually near the top of the tank and brush against my hands when I stick them in.

EvilMel
02/19/2004, 07:38 PM
Mine tried to eat my hands.

Pandarian
02/19/2004, 07:52 PM
they were evil clown fishes. thats what happens when their parent is evilmel. haha, jk. were they maroons? ive heard those were mean suckers.

Pandarian
02/19/2004, 07:54 PM
oh, but you had a tatoo on your hand. its not thier fault they they thought your tatoo was food. :D

easttn
02/19/2004, 08:09 PM
I have a piar of Goldstripe Maroon wild caught clowns. They have hosted a frogspawn for 2 years. Bread at least twice in those two years that I know about, and are quite docile. Hummm, sounds like my wife and I except I didn't buy frogspawn to live in. Ain't marrige great!!! She's X1 tonight, there are flowers waiting and so is supper, maybe I can do a hat trick.;-).

imsqueak
02/19/2004, 08:11 PM
I'd think it would have a lot to do with the individual personality of the fish. Consider a puppy during adoption: I've yet to guess a puppy's personality correctly as it gets older it changes, then it settles into it's true personality. If my dog gets moved to another family, I'm almost sure his personality would change even at 2yo; consider kids vs no kids or fence vs roaming allowed, etc. Your tank will likely not match the one he came from.
Kinda a craps shoot if you ask me. But as a respectful (cant spell conciencious) reefer, go w/ CB. Better disease resistance, etc. so they say. You've probably got as much chance for an active one as one not.

squeak

Bddizzzy
02/19/2004, 10:13 PM
I have a tank raised gold stripe maroon, and he is active. He swims around the tank until he gets tired then it is back to his anenome. He is also a food begger, whenever I open the top of my tank he is expecting me to feed him.:)

llpoolej
02/20/2004, 08:37 AM
My one tank raised percula is a territorial little thing. If you put your hands in "his" tank, he will rush and hit you at full blast. The neon goby(a bad crab got the other) would be on you cleaning you along with the shrimp and the clownfish attacking you. I have had it since it was about a 1/2 in.

Neowind
02/20/2004, 09:00 AM
Very informative guys thanks so much for helping me out.

SmartWrasse
02/21/2004, 07:51 AM
I bought the aquacultured clowns (of course). They are tough little fish, and travel around all over the tank. Cost a little more but over the years it is easily worth it to me.

BiGOrange
02/23/2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by yellowboyviet
They usually spend thier time swimming on tops of tank beging for food instead of spending time in thier beloved hosts.

This is a myth. Sounds logical though. I found a web site somewhere that talked about this and dispelled all the myths about tank raised clowns