PDA

View Full Version : My New Sump--suggestions

reefyguy
02/17/2004, 11:54 AM
I have already purchased a 100 gallon rubbermaid container (much to the dislike of my fiancee). Here is a raw drawing of it

http://www.reefwarden.com/menu/sump.htm

I am worried about macro or sand getting blown up into the pump. I plan on putting the pump about a foot from the substrate to prevent this. But I dunno how i can keep the macro from clogging it. Other than that i plan to keep it pretty simple. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ed

DensityMan
02/17/2004, 12:20 PM
Just adding two "baffle-walls" (one at each end) should serve your purpose. Even a single wall before the pump intake would work.

Still in-process with mine. Got all the pieces, just have to silicone and setup. :D

reefyguy
02/17/2004, 01:41 PM
what are you using as baffles?

shaw
02/17/2004, 02:11 PM
Egg-crating

DensityMan
02/17/2004, 02:40 PM
Acrylic slabs siliconed into the tank/tub is what I'm using. Sump is a 20g long tank. Adding the walls Wednesday night (I hope), then filling and plumbing the sump on the weekend.

reefyguy
02/17/2004, 03:19 PM
cool..i was thinking acrylic too....wont be such an algae mat.....in the center i plan on using the egg crate for the frag grow out though. We will see. i still have to sell the fiancee on the 100 gallon tub going in the laundry room

DensityMan
02/17/2004, 03:43 PM
Acrylic wall(s) also help to prevent clogged over-flows from allowing the pump to overflow the tank (causing a flood - at least in theory)