PDA

View Full Version : Novice wants to come to meeting

NewMariner
08/07/2001, 11:34 AM
Hello, I just saw this thread about your meeting. I might like to join. I see your next meeting is in Plano on the 15th at 7pm? I hope I can make it. I wont know until that time comes. Im from Lubbock, Texas and just recently moved here. Im a newbie to salt tanks. I have a 58 G Oceanic RR tank. Just yesterday I added some so called "Live Sand" and "Live Rock". I dont see much life in either one....just bacteria I guess. I live in Irving and was wondering if anyone knew of any good LFS around my area? I would like both salt and fw lfs as I do maintain 3 other tanks that are fw. Can you describe what all you do in your meetings? I want to come but my wife will ask what do they do there....and she will have to make the decision if she comes or not. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I will get to make it to the meeting.

Brad Ward
08/07/2001, 12:49 PM
Howdy,

Yep, next Wednesday in Plano. Missing the wind in Lubbock yet?:D I don't recommend stores but perhaps someone else will. There are several in the Metroplex that should be fine for you. Everyone at the meetings has their owm favorites.

For more info on meetings and the club in general, go to: www.dfwmas.com

This month is election time and we will do that, talk about the upcoming MACNA and view our host's 233 gallon predator tank. There are always refreshments and a lot of like minded folks.

Hope to see you there, and welcome!

Brad

reefmkr
08/07/2001, 02:29 PM
NewMariner,

Welcome! Hope you can make it out to meeting!
Try this link http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=30722&highlight=dfw

Me and another member (nvillacci) also live in Irving.
see you later

Brad,
could you tell me how can i attache the clove polpy to LR?
thanks

xlurker
08/07/2001, 11:45 PM
Brad,

Do we just show up, or shall we let someone know we're coming?

xlurker

Brad Ward
08/08/2001, 07:17 AM
xlurker,

Just show up! We welcome reefers of all methodology.:D The initiation is a little scary,:eek: but we haven't lost anyone yet.;)

See you there,

Brad

nvillacci
08/10/2001, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the group NewMariner... I cant speak for everyone but there are a few LFS I would recommend and on eI would not recommend:
On a scale of 1-10

5-Scales, located at beltline rd and pioneer sout of 183; some good SW fish selection-okay prices on sw fish, small selection of fw fish. Corals are very few in between and expensive to boot - 40.00 for a small open brain coral?! They know little about the hobby, ask them if regular fluorecents will grow corals :)

10- World Down Under - take 183 west towards HEB area then take Central exit north, will be on the right near the service station on Halstead rd.(?) Great selection of corals and fish, especially now. nice selection of dry goods, of course mailorder has the best prices, but if you need it ASAP they have it. Best place for advice(heh be wary of Jonathon:P ). Very nice...

(negative)-2 - Saltwater paradise - I think its a nice little store, but when someone ask 4.99 for astrea snails and $40 for a 36 watt bulb i stay away. I used to go there all the time for my water needs because it was close to work; then one day i saw a 3 foot nurse shark in a 30 gallon tub. Asked them who it was for... some guy with a 150 gallon tank. Thats just sad, the lady who worked there disagreed with it but the boss didnt see anything but $$$. BTW he not very nice unless you show him money.

BTW me and reefmkr are on esters south of 183, let us know if you wanna go to the meeting next week, maybe we can carpool ...

Nick

reefmkr
08/10/2001, 08:57 AM
Nick,
Let's Car pool, that way we could get on the HOV lane on 635.

nvillacci
08/10/2001, 09:21 AM
sounds like a plan, BTW you seeing Royce this weekend. No Military duty for me this weekend:) I would love some of them green acros you got.

LMK
Nick

reefmkr
08/10/2001, 12:02 PM
I think he still out of town, I ask him to email me when he come back in town. I let you know when I get email from him.
later

freelancing
08/12/2001, 11:22 PM
Howdy NewMariner,

I'm a novice as well (got my first tank ever just last March). I just found out about DFWMAS a couple of weeks ago and I'll be attending my first meeting this Wed. I'm glad to know I won't be the only newbie there.

I'll be coming from Denton... anyone else in Denton going?

-ShellEy (with an "E")

alf3482
08/14/2001, 02:16 PM
Sounds like we are going to have a good crowd this month. Ill be there. Welcome to the club new guy's:D

NewMariner
08/14/2001, 04:43 PM
Well Everyone, looks like I get to come to the meeting. However I have to go to work at 11:00 tomorrow night:( The meetings last from 7 till 9 right? If it goes past 9 you wont consider it rude if I just up and leave? Guess I will see all of you tomorrow.
Tony