PDA

View Full Version : Room mates for an octopus?

ChrisIsBored
08/07/2001, 04:33 AM
In a few months I'm planning on purchasing a 180G tank, so all of my inhabitants from my 55 will be going in there.

I've been thinking of what to do with the 55 once it's been cleared out. I'm not decided yet on whether or not to get an octopus, so readings up here and a little more researching of my own will help me decide later. If I do get one, it would probably be ordered from fishsupply.com They carry O. Bimaculatus / O. Bimaculoides species.

What, if any would be some good room mates? Any chance they get along with any sort of eel's? I may keep a few damsels which may or may not become lunch. Still have 3 or so months before I even purchase the new tank so scream at me now before I do something I regret.

:D

cephalopoder
08/07/2001, 06:29 PM
Thats great your thinking of a bimac. There the best choice for a octo. As for tank mates... not too many. Forget the damsels... they will be lunch sooner or later. Any thing but sand sifting sea cucumbers and starfish will be eaten. I had a filter feeding cuc once and one of my octos ripped it right off the glass and killed it. And eels and octos are natural foes!!! The eel will try and eat the octo! I wrote the care sheet for jack on his page at his request and I think I list on there what you can keep with octos and thats not much....... There exciting enough though you wont need any tank mates!

ckeadle
08/17/2001, 12:47 PM
Any chance you could put a lionfish or grouper or angelfish or anything in with an Octo?

I was hoping to make my 55 gallon into an octo tank but the lady wants some fish in there too.

cephalopoder
08/17/2001, 02:56 PM
Well you better set up a fish only tank then and forget the octo. A octo needs a species only tank.
sorry.

Death Shrimp99
09/12/2001, 08:28 PM
Would a Lionfish get along with a octo, if not witch would win?