PDA

View Full Version : Local Reef Club? And Good LFS?

tigerwolf
02/14/2004, 08:32 PM
Hello fellow Michiganders!

I'm a Newbie to saltwater/reefs. I've done a ton of different FW tanks, and am now in the process of researching & preparing to go to a reef tank.

I'm looking for a few different things, and I'm hoping folk can help me out.

Firstly, I'm looking for a local reef club that I can join, and get to know the people within. I live in the Flint area, and am looking for something that's within a 45m drive or so, if possible. Or even a few people around that broad area that would be willing to let me come over, and see how their tanks are set up, that sort of thing.

Secondly, I'm looking for a good LFS within a reasonable driving distance as well. The only ones I know of in my immediate area are Something's Fishy in Clio (which I'm not too impressed with), the store in Swartz Creek (whose name escapes me), and there's also a small store off Miller Rd. across the way from ABC Warehouse - can't find the name of that store either.

Any information on any of these sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

clamdigr
03/03/2004, 04:28 PM
Tigerwolf- Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm not familiar with any of the stores you mentioned. Moby Dick Pet store on Sashabaw in Clarkston has a pretty good selection of fish and corals. Aqua Exotics on Opdyke Rd. in Bloomfield is new and still setting-up (they are open for business), should be pretty good. The best store even remotely close to this area is Pruess Animal House in Haslett (East Lansing). It would be a very easy trip for you as they are a short ways off I-69. Quarantined fish, lots of corals and inverts and high-end equipment. A very nice store (IMO) with some large display tanks. Our local club is The Marine Aquarium Society of Michigan, though you might have gathered that from the name of this forum :D . Check out our website @ www.masm.org. There is a meeting this Saturday March 6 at a local reefer's house, you can get directions from the website. There should be plenty of people to meet. Thanks for the interest and hope to see you at the meeting!

Mike M.