PDA

View Full Version : Nice Trigger in Clarksville

aquaman67
02/13/2004, 05:13 PM
Pet Palace in Clarksville has one of these (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=235) that is bigger than my hand for $79.99. Someone sold him back to the store and he's the coolest fish! Very playful and lots of personality. If I had a big tank he'd be mine, but thought I'd pass this along...

fishdoc11
02/13/2004, 05:53 PM
Very cool fish. Unfortunately they get to be almost 2 feet long!

rcmike
02/13/2004, 07:01 PM
You just got to watch one guy that works there. He will tell you anything to sell you something. When I was into seahorses they had some very large ones and he told me they were captive bred. Hmmm, $15 for big captive bred seahorses. Right.

A. Critter Killer
02/13/2004, 10:26 PM
RC, do you not have any more seahorses??? ----Sean

Oldschooler
02/14/2004, 08:22 AM
Sean... Don't even THINK about it! LOL

Oldschooler
02/14/2004, 08:23 AM
... In fact, thank GOD Pixar didn't make their movie "Finding Sam the Sea Horse"... The carnage would be HUGE.

A. Critter Killer
02/14/2004, 09:08 AM
I remember you at least HAD a seahorse tank..you kept buying those pipefish. We did get lucky, though Rob, one of Nemo's friends at school was a seahorse. LOL ----Sean

rcmike
02/14/2004, 09:38 AM
ooopppss hit the reply button too soon.

rcmike
02/14/2004, 09:47 AM
I had some Ocean Rider and some ORA captive bred ones. They did very well until I had my bad salt problems. I had the tank plumbed into my reef. I had gotten some of the wild ones from there and they were the sickliest things I have ever seen. Always getting sick and only eating live food. I had some babies from some Kuda ones that I raised until about 3 months old.

I still have the tank set up for them with nothing in it. I will probably try some again sometime.

Did they ever quit allowing wild caught imports? I know they were outlawed because of CITES but they were still allowed to import them for a while before it took effect.

Here is a picture of the mustang pair I had displaying to each other.
http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/bellsouth/Groups/62/62255/folders/53468/338064Picture082.jpg

aquaman67
02/14/2004, 07:23 PM
They (Pet Palace) had some Orange Brazil (I think) seahorses and they were like $70 a piece. They had some yellow ones too. I got to feed them some ghost shrimp...very cool. I never saw horses move that fast. Ususally they just kinda hang around, but when those shrimp hit the water, they perked up quick!

A. Critter Killer
02/14/2004, 10:33 PM
Unfortuantely, they are still importing them...I was asking because I have a new line on blue-banded pipefish, which supposedly do very well in captivity(at least relatively). ----Sean

Sir Knight
02/15/2004, 02:10 AM
Here is a link to two sites that are dedicated to both Sea horses and pipefish
http://forum.seahorse.org/
http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

They should be able to answer any of your questions.

Also, Their is another person that is breeding seahorses in Aust.
I think Marine depot brings them in.

Please don't buy wild seahorses :thumbsup:

The bluelined trigger is a nice fish and is some what peaceful, if you have a 1000 gallon plus tank. They can grow to all most 24".

Hope this helps

rcmike
02/15/2004, 11:34 AM
Yep, those are two good seahorse sites. I used to go there quite often. I agree that wild seahorses should not be sold to the general public. They almost always suffer and die.

coralreefing
02/16/2004, 01:03 PM
Speaking of seahorse mortality. once while I was snorkeling in Fla. I met a woman with a bucket of seahorses. She said "I like to come down early in the morning & wade through the seagrass & I find them there. I said what do you do with them? She said "I take them home & put them in a fish bowl on the dining room table. And they live like that I asked. She said "for a while"......

Some people just don't get it.

Chris

rcmike
02/16/2004, 04:14 PM
oh geeze!

aquaman67
02/16/2004, 04:33 PM
It's funny that a trigger post turned into a seahorse post.

So speaking of seahorses, are they hard to keep? And are there any that are better than others?

rcmike
02/16/2004, 04:50 PM
Captive bred ones that are eating frozen mysis are pretty easy to keep. Wild ones are next to impossible to keep alive for any amount of time. Ocean Rider mustangs (I think they are erectus if I remember correctly) are about the most healthy ones I ever got. Dwarf seahorses are easy to keep but you have to hatch out brine shimp all the time for them.

Oldschooler
02/16/2004, 10:32 PM
Chris, I really, really HATE to hear stories like that. :(

~Roberto

aquaman67
02/18/2004, 09:09 AM
Disclaimer;

I do not now nor have a ever worked for or been affiliated in any way with Pet Palace. I have no economic gain in the sale of said fish.

I just thought he is cool and needs a good home...

:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

aquaman67
03/08/2004, 02:53 PM
He's been SOLD!

The Trigger...