PDA

View Full Version : DIY Classes

kwjones
02/13/2004, 03:55 PM
Does anybody feel like teaching classes on DIY projects?

I'm thinking about getting a 30 gallon tank and turning it into a sump/fuge for a new reef ready 75, but I have no idea how to do it. I'm pretty clueless on figuring out flow rate, plumbing, where to put valves, how to keep it from overflowing in a power outage, etc... But I'm pretty sure I can fit a 30 gallon tank in the stand under my 75.:D

Kevin

Scout
02/13/2004, 06:56 PM
It would pretty hard to set up a formal class on how to do it, but.... You could swing by my place this weekend and I'll show you how my setup is plumbed.
I have a seperate sump and fuge. The sump receives water from a hang on the back overflow. Water drain to sump is skimmed and pumped back up via a mag 950 through a check valve, through a sqwd (sp) back into tank. It's power outage proof and I also incorporate a water top off system under there too.
PM me if you want to stop by and check it out. I'm in Bear, in the Fox Run Area.

Mike

gossws
02/14/2004, 08:22 AM
I'd be more than willing to help if I could. I actually built my sump and refugium out of acrylic and assembled all the plumbing. While scared crapess while doing, I was able to accomplish without leaks (I'm still shaking my head at that). But I built two large manifolds to handle the flow. The thing I had the hardest time with was the flow rate. I ended up buying a pump that was way to powerful (Dolphin Ampmaster) for the circulation pump through the sump and ended up using it for a closed-end loop. But I do have very good circular saw blades for cutting bulkheads (various sizes) in acrylic if anyone wants to use them. Bill