PDA

View Full Version : Would a 20g hex work?

SeaMac
08/06/2001, 12:05 AM
Howdy everyone...

I'm new to this section of RC and I can tell you already that I am definitely gonna get into big trouble reading new forums late at night! I have always been intrigued by seahorses (even more so now that there are captive-bred ones available), but only now at 1:00 am my time am I seriously considering setting up a seahorse tank! :D Well, at least planning one out...

I have read through the posts here (and plan on visiting www.seahorse.org too), and have a question regarding tank size. I understand the importance for height, and was wondering what your opinions were on using a 20 hex (roughly 20-21" tall) for a single pair of Ocean Rider Mustangs? This would be slightly less than 3x the adult height of the horses if they reach the full 8", but would be just about right for 6-7" horses.

I would plan on having a 1-2" sandbed (not for denitrification)with plenty of ministars, copepods, amphipods, gammarus shrimp, small bristleworms, etc... from my reef tank; approx 15-20 lbs. of LR as biological filtration; a CPR BakPak 2 with surface skimmer as the main water circulation; possibly a mini- or micro-jet powerhead for additional circulation (if needed); some low light corals like mushrooms; lighting still to be determined; and some type of tall branchy structures (not sure if I'll use live or dead for this one...any suggestions???) as hitching posts for the Mustangs. What do y'all use?

Thanks for any help you can give me...I want to take this really slow so as to get it right from the beginning! :)

Chris

SeaNemesis
08/06/2001, 01:16 PM
The 20 hex sounds great and so does your setup/. You will find a lot of useful information from seahorse.org. I am one of the directors over there. Sponges make great hitching posts for seahorses and they also enjoy hanging onto heaters fpr some reason as well. Caulerpa is always good and there are those fake branches they also seem to enjoy. There are many choices to use for hitching posts.

Airel
08/06/2001, 10:31 PM
Hi Chris,

If this is a tank collecting dust in your garage then by all means use it!! But if not and it is a tank you are considering purchasing for your seahorse tank, I would reconsider your decision. Seahorses, like everything else in this hobby, are very addictive. I would suggest purchasing the TALLEST, biggest tank you possibly can afford. When I set up my horse tank, I went to the lfs with cash in hand to purchase a 25 hex. They had a 45 hex instock and it was only $50 more, so I purchased the 45 instead. Thank goodness I did!! I have been very happy with this tank but have plans to upgrade to a 104gal in the near future. See what I mean!!

Male horses can develop pouch problems as a result of inadequate vertical swim space. Ocean Rider suggests a tank height of at least 30". If you have a male with pouch problems and contact OR for help, the first thing they will tell you is that your tank isn't tall enough. My tank is 26" tall with a water column of 24". I have had males with pouch bloat but nothing chronic.

Horses will hitch onto anything and everything! Heaters, thermometers, each other, and I've even seen some hitch onto the antennae of my cleaner shrimp!! For natural coral hitching posts, I have a few gorgonians and a red sponge tree. If you prefer to use the fake corals for hitching posts, Signature corals has a very nice line of artificial corals. Flying Fish Express also has a nice artificial coral selection.

Best of Luck and HTH,
DeAnne :)

SeaMac
08/07/2001, 08:08 AM
Hi DeAnne and Alisa,

Thanks so much for the info...I am getting pretty excited about this tank! I like the idea of using "live" hitching posts such as sponges, gorgonians, etc... I might even give a colt coral or kenya tree coral a try...I could frag one from my reef tank.

Have you guys had much luck keeping sponges alive for any length of time? I know that I can NOT expose them to air, and shouldn't touch them with my bare hands...do you have any other tricks for them (phytoplankton?)? Also, I was under the impression that pony tanks should be relatively low flow so as to not blow the poor little guys and gals all over the place...because of this, is it hard to provide proper flow for gorgonians (higher flow to keep waxy film off of them)?

I checked OR's website and I only found that they suggest a 20" high tank...am I looking in the wrong place? I do already have the tank and was hoping to just go with that one, but we'll see how it goes... ;)

Again thanks for your help!!! :D

Chris

SeaNemesis
08/07/2001, 08:55 AM
It all depends where you get the sponges from. I have had pretty good luch with them and so have some others. Gorgonians are great. I have a colt coral but none of my horses like hitching to it long.