PDA

View Full Version : $6 Float Switch

Brian Prestwood
02/12/2004, 07:43 PM
The best I've ever seen these for is $15.

Float Switch (http://www.floatswitches.net/floatswitch.html)

Ruminari
02/12/2004, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it. The image is proof of the rip off that the site is promoting. (For scale they inserted a second picture of a quarter)

barebottoms
02/13/2004, 03:04 AM
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=253499&Row=263096&Site=US

Nice to buy from an electronics store since you're going to be using relays and stuff too. They have the Q-Prox capacitance sensors too.

Gigus
02/24/2004, 10:50 PM
I am curious as to the application. I usually use a float valve for water makeup connected to a DI/RO unit. Is this switch for a pump on a wave system?

thereefgeek
02/25/2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Ruminari
I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it. The image is proof of the rip off that the site is promoting. (For scale they inserted a second picture of a quarter)

Actually, they work great. I bought four and have two left over if you need one. I even put the link on our website under the resources tab.

user48953
02/27/2004, 08:13 PM
Rich.. How do the floats work? Do you use one for the mininum level and one for the maximun level? I may be interested in your 2 left overs.

huy

Brian Prestwood
02/28/2004, 01:11 AM
Huy

You use two for switch-on redundancy, not high-low water marks.

Wire them in series. If one sticks on the other will break the circuit. The odds of two sticking on are pretty slim.

I used to have just one on my topoff system. It drained my top off a couple of times before I added the second about two years ago. It hasn't stuck on since.

Brian Prestwood
02/28/2004, 01:14 AM
Here's a tip. Plug a computer switch, the kinds with a switch for each piece, into the water level sensor. Then, plug a pump for each top of topoff (water, kalkwasser, exchange water) you do. You can choose which pump turns on when the water level is low by setting the switches on the computer power switch.

headshrink
03/01/2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by xdroccax
How do the floats work?

huy

Just setup mine. It looks like it is a magnetic switch... totally sealed from water. I threaded the wires through airline tubing, others use PVC...