PDA

View Full Version : February's MASLAC Meeting

algaeguy
02/11/2004, 10:22 PM
Just a reminder:

MASLAC's meeting for February will be this Friday, February 13 at 7:00 P.M. at Denny's Restaurant on San Fernando Road, Los Angeles. Please note that in March, we go back to our regular Saturday meeting and 6:30 p.m. time.

The featured speaker will be Jim Wolfe who will speak on "The Aging Marine Aquarium: A look at physical, chemical, and biological changes and their effect on the well-being of the tank"

I will also be presenting my tank....:eek1:

And of course, we will have a killer raffle featuring all kinds of things such as a R.O Unit, lights, and some fantastic fish and corals.

See you all there!!
Scott F.
MASLAC Publicity Chair

David P
02/14/2004, 02:38 AM
good meeting (best so far because I won the Sea Swirl) but I could have done without the picture of you sitting on the toilet...

algaeguy
02/14/2004, 11:35 AM
Dave, when I think of the pics I was GONNA post, you should count your lucky stars!!! LOL

Yeah- it was fun!

Enjoy the "Swirl"!

Scott F.

cali_reef
02/14/2004, 01:45 PM
You don't want that 1 inch monster, too big for your tank. :) I'll trade you a RO unit for it.

nanocat
02/14/2004, 06:26 PM
Bah, seaswirls and tanks. I won the best prize :D

Update on Poon the minihippo, he's eating frozen mysis and sushi fish roe like no tomorrow, and enjoying his 10g. I need to get over to the LFS and find some green stuff that's his size. I seriously doubt if he can get his lips around nori. He's no bigger than a nickle. Last night he was in one of the nanocubes with a royal dottyback, but this morning I found dot.com was chasing the poor little guy from one end of the cube to the other, so I moved him into the 10g.

I plan to let him grow a bit, and then he goes to a new home. For a little guy, he's a pig of an eater.

David P
02/14/2004, 11:38 PM
Pierce, actually I am a little worried about that 1" monster. It says to keep it a foot away from a MH pendant, I dont have an extra foot... my tank has a center brace and the two pendants just about cover the two openings, I think I may be ok if I mount it in one corner. Im thinking of removing one side of my loc-line and converting that to a suction line for a closed loop.

Konadog
02/14/2004, 11:56 PM
Dave, I think that warning is just a CYA incase it splashes. I haven't seen anyone have a problem with them. Just make sure its mounted tight, I guess if you mounted it loose and it fell back, it could shoot water all over, but you would have bigger problems then. ;)

cali_reef
02/15/2004, 03:11 AM
I don't think heat would be an issue, I have mine pretty close to the MH's. My old 400W was about 6 inches away from the SS for about 10 month without any problems.

You should drill a hole on the top frame of your acrylic tank for the nozzle; ditch the brackets that are on the SS. You should also tie wrap it down for that extra safety factor.

o2manyfish
02/16/2004, 12:19 AM
Dave P,

Ya -- If you don't have the room that Swirl is gonna catch fire and burn down all the work you have done on your house.

I'll give you 30 bucks to get that hazard out of your house.

Dave B

David P
02/16/2004, 07:42 PM
Gee wiz, what a swell guy. Thanx Dave!