PDA

View Full Version : it is about time..

angiras
02/11/2004, 12:08 AM
that I got a new addition for the house.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17938woo.jpg

In 3-6 months - the upgrade process should be complete. The longest wait is the custom cabinetry.

I never EVER thought the tank would be as heavy as it was. I am just glad I got it home in 1 piece.

-Ben

COBRA201
02/11/2004, 02:32 AM
do you have more pics of the tank?

angiras
02/11/2004, 02:21 PM
cobra,

unfortunately - nothing more than pics of the empty 180 AGA sitting on my floor. The process is going to be very slow and calculated. I am going to try and take pictures every time something develops - and then post a start-to-finish once the tank is up and running. For now - it is livestock research time as well as ordering basic equipment like larger pumps, etc.

-Ben

crescent1
02/12/2004, 11:25 PM
good luck with it and keep us posted with some ggod pics and details.

angiras
02/13/2004, 02:11 AM
well tony, the guy that is making my canopy and stand was at the house tonight to take measurements and to see our current furniture so he could get ideas for the design.

So far - the only thing I know about the furniture is that it will be cherry with a natural finish, some type of clean-line euro-style to fit in with the rest of the furniture, and measure 6' wide, 2' deep. Once the tank is on the stand and the canopy is in place, the whole unit will be 6' tall.

Already knowing where the tank is going, we took the blue tape you use for painting and marked off the various heights on the wall for visual reference- i.e. where the top of the stand will be, where the viewing area will be, and top of canopy. Thankfully we thought to do this as I wasnt sure on how tall the cabinet should be - I didnt want to bend down when standing to look at the tank - but I also wanted to have a nice vantage point when sitting as well since 2 leather chairs are on order and will be situated directly in front of the tank.

That's about it for now - I am still trying to firm up a stock list on fish.

-Ben

angiras
08/09/2004, 01:33 PM
well it is about time for an update. As of today, the custom stand and canopy were delivered and aquarium put into place for perspective. I'm really pleased with the furniture. Pics included below.

http://raptor.angiras.com:81/personal/fromleft.jpg

http://raptor.angiras.com:81/personal/fromright.jpg

http://raptor.angiras.com:81/personal/frontaccess.jpg

http://raptor.angiras.com:81/personal/frontopen.jpg

http://raptor.angiras.com:81/personal/doordetail.jpg

The coloration of the wood is a bit funny right now since it is cherry. Over the next month or so it should darken and even out like the rest of the cherry furniture did. I am so happy I could scream.

-Ben

clown2be
08/09/2004, 01:57 PM
Very nice, I want one!:thumbsup:

angiras
08/09/2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by clown2be
Very nice, I want one!:thumbsup:

Thanks! I am still running around looking at it from every angle. I can't believe it is finally here.

-Ben

clown2be
08/09/2004, 04:01 PM
Hey lets see a pic of your other tank.I assume you are going to put everything from the old tank into the new.

crescent1
08/09/2004, 04:45 PM
very nice job on the stand and canopy Ben, how about some sump pics when youre at that stage.

cwegescheide
08/09/2004, 04:51 PM
Very nice indeed!!

Bayliner
08/09/2004, 05:09 PM
Looks great.

Just out of curiosity how much bracing is in that stand ?
I didn’t notice any horizontal bracing for extra support.

Cam

angiras
08/09/2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Bayliner
Looks great.

Just out of curiosity how much bracing is in that stand ?
I didn’t notice any horizontal bracing for extra support.

Cam

Cam,

All of the wood is built around a steel frame (or what I referred to as "the steel cage" - similar to those that many on here use for in-wall tanks). The frame was fabricated and powder-coated prior to any woodwork.

-Ben

angiras
08/09/2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by clown2be
Hey lets see a pic of your other tank.I assume you are going to put everything from the old tank into the new.

I'm browsing through my pics directory - and I only have full-tank photos of when I first set up the tank. :lol: The only recent photos I've found are close-ups of fish and such. I'd be glad to post the most recent ones - but I fear it'd be "oh look *another* ocellaris." :lol:

-Ben

Bayliner
08/09/2004, 07:47 PM
Angiras,
Ah now I see. I went back and looked at the pictures again after your response and I see what you mean by the steel frame. Even though it's your tank and not mine I feel better now that I realize it is made of steel. That is one great looking tank and stand.

Keep us posted with more pictures when you can.
I have subscribed to this thread so I can learn from your experience on setting up a tank like this.

Thanks
Cam

angiras
08/09/2004, 08:01 PM
Angiras,
Ah now I see. I went back and looked at the pictures again after your response and I see what you mean by the steel frame. Even though it's your tank and not mine I feel better now that I realize it is made of steel. That is one great looking tank and stand.

Keep us posted with more pictures when you can.
I have subscribed to this thread so I can learn from your experience on setting up a tank like this.

Thanks
Cam

Cam,

Woo. You had me nervous there for a minute!

Actually, the stand and canopy were a first for the guy who built it. His specialty is large built-in home theatres (think million plus homes). If you want to check out some of his other work (to see the quality), go to www.mascodesigns.com (http://www.mascodesigns.com).

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

-Ben

Harleyguy
08/09/2004, 08:36 PM
Not to steal this thread but as a coincidence I met a guy today that builds cabinets/wall units today and "he " mentioned a trade for some Home theater equipment and install (I own a Home Theater company). Needless to say I'm stoked; he is planning to come over next week to hash out the details.

Harleyguy
08/09/2004, 08:36 PM
Very nice set up. Looks like top quality workmanship.

angiras
08/09/2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Harleyguy
Not to steal this thread but as a coincidence I met a guy today that builds cabinets/wall units today and "he " mentioned a trade for some Home theater equipment and install (I own a Home Theater company). Needless to say I'm stoked; he is planning to come over next week to hash out the details.

that is too funny. :lol:

Originally posted by Harleyguy
Very nice set up. Looks like top quality workmanship.

thank you. All day, I've been looking at it for any flaws or imperfections (because I am the type that my eye instantly catches such things). I've yet to find anything - which does say a LOT for the builder.

-Ben

angiras
08/09/2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by crescent1
very nice job on the stand and canopy Ben, how about some sump pics when youre at that stage.

Tony,

will do. It will probably be a good while. Before I get anything for the tank, I plan on investing in a generator. Nothing like hurricane season in florida to make ya think.

I'm also planning on running plumbing through the wall into the laundry. I want to keep from moving brute cans full of water on the hardwood. I am also thinking about getting an RO holding tank. So many ideas..

Having made the same newbie mistakes that everyone makes on my current tank, I plan on being very slow and methodical in everything I do on this tank (even if it takes another year of planning).

-Ben

NwG
08/21/2004, 03:10 AM
whats that.....?.......ya there it is ...........it is the sound of your wallet getting thinner:)
Nate D

Dz99ls
08/21/2004, 07:55 AM
i know what you mean about time lol we just got our 180 rr yesterday after a month and a 1/2!

Bayliner
08/21/2004, 07:56 AM
Hey angiras,
How about an update ?
anything new ?

angiras
08/21/2004, 03:43 PM
Hey angiras,
How about an update ?
anything new ?

nothin' new to report. Due to fundage, the most I get to do is move stuff around in the tank room to figure out what works best. :lol:

I've come up with a tentative "still need" list - including more live rock, bigger sump, tunze streams, a 3rd pendant, rodi, and return pump. I will start moving stuff around in the laundry room soon to get an idea of how that will be setup.

My guess is that it will take until another 4-6 months to get everything rolling - which is a lot longer than I initially anticipated but not really bothersome to me. Just more time to read and read and read some more.

-Ben