PDA

View Full Version : Montipora (???) ID

cee
02/10/2004, 08:53 PM
Can anyone help me ID this coral? It came with the favites, porites, and a millipora on it. I got it in Dallas. My first inclination is montipora, but I have never seen a polyp on it. It is very roughly textured, and recent growth is horizontal plates (hard to see in pic). It grows fast, esp. since I oriented it vertically. Unfortunately, the favites sweeper tentacles tend to kill off the lower portion, but it keeps growing. To my disdain, the favites seems to grow faster:(

cee
02/14/2004, 11:36 AM
I may end of fragging this next weekend, as the favites sweeper tentacles are killing the base off faster than the tip is growing. Part of my decision to do so will be based on whether or not there is interest in the club in acquiring frags of this (I believe) Montipora species. Any interest out there?

Dave

awcurl
02/14/2004, 11:53 AM
I'd be intrested in a frag.

Art

SmartWrasse
02/16/2004, 02:01 PM
Agree that it looks like a Monte from pic. Also looks like a little battle going on there. Seems like it would do well if fragged. You can probably give a testimony at the meeting about coral interactions.

cee
02/16/2004, 09:04 PM
Well, the surgery was successful! Fortunately, it fragged in one piece and the "arc shape" fit in nicely to my rockwork. Sorry, Art, but you get first dibs when some of my Acros grow up. I'll post a pic in a day or two.

Dave