PDA

View Full Version : Getting a pair of BCs

Ecoli
08/04/2001, 04:10 PM
Dr. marini i read in one of your articles, at least i believe it was one of yours that you used a male bangaii to sex other bangaii cardinals. I have a male bangaii, i bought a mated pair from atlantis aquatics and everything went fine, the male was holding eggs and everything was good. But my female was lost, I dont know what happened she suddenly decided to stop eating. Anyway My question is if using a known male to sex other cardinals is dependent on both fish being sexually mature. Will the male try to attack a non sexually mature male or accept a non sexually mature female. As far as i can judge most of the LFSs around here carry young juveniles. TIA

FMarini
08/04/2001, 05:57 PM
Hi:
thanks for the post. If i recall the male will only fight off fish it believes are a threat. So immature banggais males will be of little consequence to the adult. I guess if you must, you could add three new juveniles to this tank, and allow them to mature....
Once any of the juvie males gets to sexually maturity, the established male will kick some booty...anyone else is female.
Of course, this all premises on the fact that you can get thes fish out once aggression is noted.
You have to remember that i had a Fo tank when i was breeding these fish, and i had access to each and every fish...they were only a scoop away.
Does this help???
its nearly imposible to sex these fish as juveniles
frank