PDA

View Full Version : Coralhound Calcium Reactor

BOBA
08/03/2001, 10:08 PM
I am seriously considering the Dual Compact/Econo calcium reactor crafted by Coralhound and was wondering if anyone has some relatively long term experience with this or similar units? This would be my 1st experience with one after "battling" alk and calcium levels for the last 2 years. A few concerns are-
1. Does the needle valve on the output have a tendency to clog?
2. Does the MaxiJet 600 have enough "head" to resume pumping
after a power outage? I tried both a MJ900, MJ1200 on my
Turboflotor skimmer and neither had the power to resume
pumping the feed water ( but Rio 600 does fine)!
3. What media do others recomend?

Any input on this reactor or reactors in general would really be appreciated. Coralhounds design and craftsmanship appear to be excellent along with being an excellent value compared to the commonly manufactured c. reactors. I guess I'm just a little nervous about digging the "Money Pit" a little deeper. LOL

Thanks!!!

SawCJack00
08/04/2001, 09:05 PM
I don't have the real long term experience, but I do have the Coralhould dual chamber regular sized reactor. I've had it up for about 2 months, and absolutely love it. I t keeps my calcium at 450 and my alk at 12 DKH on a consistent basis. I use the ARM media, but many use the Carib sea Geo Marine and have good results for a much cheaper price. I may switch when I re-load. I done power outage tests with my Maxijet 900 feeding it and have had no problems. Two thumbs up from me.

jimmy n
10/13/2001, 09:58 PM
I just recently received the dual econo model from coralhound. Customer service was excellent and the product appears to be solid. I recently set it up and the instructions were right on. Very happy with this purchase.

Jim

SaltwaterKid
10/14/2001, 12:15 AM
I have Coralhounds regular sized dual chamber unit and i absolutely love it. It's been set up for 5-6 months and my tank has never looked better since i've installed it. I'm in the process of buying a skimmer from him too. I use the Geo Marine media and it seems to work fine. The unit has clogged on me once but was easily fixed after i opened the valve all the way. YOu won't be disappointed.

BOBA
10/14/2001, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the response. Actually I did order and receive my Coralhound Dual Econo C.R. about a month ago. The only problem I had was getting the CO2 bubble rate to stabilize. I fixed it by adding another small regulator in line with the bottle regulator and it's worked great ever since. I've been keeping alk at 10.0 and calcium at 425 and it's been very stable. No more adding this and that then testing dailey!!!
Thanks