PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here keep cephalopods?

Crevalle
02/09/2004, 10:53 PM
I have two baby bimacs, and was just wondering if anyone else here keeps octos/cuttles/nautilus.

wsm #59
02/09/2004, 11:02 PM
i dont but do you have any pictures? Could you also describe your setup
thanks
whit

Crevalle
02/09/2004, 11:21 PM
Hi wsm #59--

I have a 30g oceanic cube tank and matching stand. For filtration, I have a penguin 60gph mechanical filter, and an Aqua C Remora skimmer. I have a heater keep the temp at a steady 73 degrees (the lower the temp, the longer their lives--within reason). Standard fluorescent lighting. 30lbs of live rock, 20lbs fine aragonite sand (if it's too rough, it can scrap the octopus), a dozen small hermits (the bimacs love these), a mexican turbo snail, and a serpent star (about the only living thing an octopus generally will not eat).

Water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15 (I've read that octos tolerate up to 100ppm, but obviously the lower the reading, the better)
Ph: 8.0-8.2
SG: 1.025 (do not want to let this drop below full strength sea water)

Hope that answers your question. I've been feeding the bimacs baby clams primarily. But, they like to attack the hermits.

Jive Turkey
02/09/2004, 11:29 PM
My buddies brother kept an Octopus for about a year, and he kept the temp at 70, also used a mechanical filter. He had it spray ink a few times, too!

He used branch rock for all LR, so the octo was never fully out of sight. He also had quite a bit of current and some damsels.

This creature ended up dying as I slept on the couch near the tank. It crawled out of a 1/6" crack and fell on some tall shag carpet and dried out.
The crack was only the width of a Maxijet cord. Watch out.

Can't really help. good luck, Joe

Crevalle
02/10/2004, 12:13 AM
Ahhh...that sucks man. At least it was most likely near the end of its short life either way (they rarely live longer than 18 months). At least he went out in style.....shag carpet.

Jive Turkey
02/11/2004, 02:17 PM
lol

I'm just glad I didn't roll off the couch on that thing.

Joe