PDA

View Full Version : drilling oceanic 180rr

chili
02/08/2004, 08:15 PM
I just bought a used oceanic 180rr. I would like to have it drilled for a closed loop but I am a little apprehensive. The tank is 7 yrs old. It is in good shape, but should I just plumb it over the top rather than take on any unnecessary risk to the integrity of the tank? Your comments are appreciated. sincerely.....newb

mobius9oo
02/08/2004, 11:46 PM
Well I know from reading as of now a drilled tank is significantly better. There may be a chance that it is tempered glass. For all I know they may not use tempered glass on a tank of that size. If you can though drill. It will save hassle in the long run. Definately get another opinion on this though.

Ernest T. Bass
02/09/2004, 01:03 AM
I just emailed Oceanic about my tank to see if it is drillable. I've had it for quite a while but I still had the papers that came with it. It is made of float glass. I just sent an email to Oceanic to inquire if this glass is drillable. http://www.oceanicsystems.com/index.html
I know that it voids the warranty, but my tank is out of warranty anyway. I don't want a hang-on overflow so i'll take a chance with having it drilled.

chili
02/09/2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your responses. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, and even though I would rather not have plumbing over the side, I think I'll play it safe and not drill. I just can't imagine the catastrophe of a 180 coming apart. Thanks again, Chili