PDA

View Full Version : anemone cutting

johnbooko
02/08/2004, 02:27 AM
i heard that Anthony had some good info on cutting anemones or making them split. just wondering if he could hook me up. thanks

john booko

Anthony Calfo
02/08/2004, 02:23 PM
I'd like very much to help you John, but do need some more information here... cutting Entacmea bubble BTA anemones, cutting Aiptasia, or some other anemone? ;)

And what is your goal? Namely... small scale production for local trade, large scale production for profit generating? If the latter, what kind of spave/equipment do you have available or ready?

If any of this is to be done in an aquarium with other species of anemones or corals(yikes!... please never mix motile cnidarians with sessile ones), please do pause and take the time to read my writings (and others) on wetwebmedia.com, message boards like this, and other sources (books articles) as you begin.

The most likely case is that you are talking about BTA anemones... and if so, please take the time to do a keyword search here on ReefCentral.com as there are several long and excellent threads on the subject.

I do have images illustrating the subject of my own and of our friend Daniel Knop's on cutting Rose anemones. In fact, he will be running an article on the subject later this year in the English version of Koralle magazine.

kindly,

Anthony

johnbooko
02/09/2004, 11:36 PM
im pretty sure its a BTA because thats what the LFS salesman told me but you can never be too sure. I tried to take a pic of it but it is too big to send.

I have several motives for cutting. I have a lonely clown that is forced out of the main one so i would like to provide one for him. also i have a freind that wants one. but getting some credit from the LFS is always nice too.

when you say spave equipment what exactly do you mean by that?

could i get the url to see the photos of the cutting process.

thanks for oyu time again

john booko

Anthony Calfo
02/10/2004, 01:20 AM
John, you clearly need to read and research a lot more about fundamentals of anemone husbandry/care.

I'm frankly concerned that you cannot even clearly ID your anemone when the common species in the trade are so distinct from each other. An ID is as easy as doing a few minutes of keyword searches on Google, if not taking a peek in a book at a local bookstore or aquarium Shoppe.

Not to mention the incredible resource here (extensive archives) at reefcentral.com

And if none of those appeal to you, please do take a look at the extensive archives, images, FAQs and articles (compatibility, ID, care, etc) for anemones and much more at wetwebmedia.com

To be clear, I'm not trying to rough you up here my friend. But I also will not enable you to fail as an unprepared aquarist looking for the quick fix. Your request for me to just send you the link without knowing what I mean by "available space and equipment" to do the work of propagation, and the lack of an ID is concerning.

Can you understand this, my friend? You are stating that you are willing to cut apart an animal that you cannot identify by name let alone describe its needs in captivity.

In parting, let me assure you that if you cut this or any anemone in a tank with a clownfish trying to host it... or in a tank with other anemones or corals, your chance of failure is very high.

I sincerely hope that you make the right decision to be a better aquarist. A conscientious aquarist. And take the time to research an animal before you buy it.

Please dig deep and read more about basic care for anemones and then come back to let me help you propagate them later.

with kind regards,

Anthony

johnbooko
02/11/2004, 12:27 AM
Anthony, thanks so much for your concern. its great to see you care for these delicate creatures. i also agree that too many people take it as a fun thing to do and just throw whatever looks good in the tank and it dies soon after. i hate seeing my pets die!

My question on what type of anemone i had was just a double check. i have researched BTA's for over a year and i know what they are like and i know what conditions they need. I was well aware of the species of anemone i was buying until i got it home and it looked totally different. and i know its because of conditions but i was just simply trying to double check.

The mix up about not knowing what you meant when you said space is because in your first reply you said "spave" and i wasnt sure if that was something new i hadnt heard about. so to answer you question about space and equipment... i have a 30 gallon tall with 4 inches of crushed coral and 30 lbs of live rock. i have a seacloan skimmer and a hangon refugium (7 gallons). the anemone has not moved since i put it in the tank because the conditions were just right. i also have a custom sealife power compact shooting out 5.6 wattz/gall. i have two tomato clowns and a blue tang for fish and that is it.

i realize cutting is a complicated process and i would never ever put the life of my anemone on the line or leave my clowns without their home. i was just simply interested in the whole process and i couldnt even dream of putting a knife to my anemone unless i was 100% sure i would get good results. i am still interested in the process though and i have gotten a confirmation that it is definately a BTA. i would like to continue talking about the subject but if you dont want to that is understandable. thanks again for you time.

john booko

Anthony Calfo
02/11/2004, 12:58 AM
no worries John... there really is a lot of wonderful info out there. I did a keyword search of RC and WetWebMEdia.com and came up with these for starters [notice the article on the subject and the many links on the WWM page(s)]

best of luck :)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160749

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157929&highlight=BTA+cutting

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106163&perpage=25&highlight=BTA%20cutting&pagenumber=1

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemonereprofaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemones.htm

johnbooko
02/11/2004, 09:56 AM
thanks brutha