PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser

bigchili
08/02/2001, 03:00 PM
What is it exactly - I have had a Nano in the past and am currently setting up another. My first was a 10 gallon, and the only filtration I had was LR and water changes.

I never "dosed anything" or used additives. Everything stayed healthy (Until the move witch destroyed it all - but that's another story)

On my new setup - I want the healthiest tank possible.

I still plan on frequent waterchanges - but what does everyone else think about Kalkwasser and additives.

Any info would be greatly helpful.

Thanks

mr9iron
08/02/2001, 10:55 PM
I drip kalkwasser 24/7 in my nano. I dont use any other additives and my nanos doing great. All parameters are exellent.

bigchili
08/02/2001, 11:08 PM
but what is it - and how do i add it?

Guy
08/03/2001, 08:07 AM
Kalk will replace calcium and carbonates consumed by your tank inhabitants. If you calcium and alk reading are fine then you don't really need it. Especially since you do frequent water changes.

For a nano, your best bet is to mix a gallon at a time. Mix 1½ tsp of kalk (calcium hydroxide or hydrated lime) into a gallon jug of fresh ro/di water. Cap, stir the heck out of it, and let it settle for a day. There will be a film on the surface of the water and some particulates settled on the bottom. Everything in between is what you want. You can siphon this liquid into another container or rig it to only drip the clear water (kalkwasser or limewater). It will stay effective for a week or so as long as you don't expose it to air (CO2 specifically). Drip it very slowly to replace evaporated water. If you drip it too fast you will raise the PH and stress everything. If you can, just drip it at night and it can stabilize your PH.

bigchili
08/03/2001, 08:28 AM
Exactly what i was looking for - Thanks!!! :)

nvillacci
08/03/2001, 02:01 PM
Use Pickling Lime. I bought some at the Las Colinas(im in dallas too) Superwalmart. Its the exact same mix as kalkwasser mix but its only $1.50 for a 1 lb bag. This will last you forever. Teh equivalent amount of Kalkwasser mix is around $15 I believe. Just go to the super walmart, go to the grocery area. Then look for the sezsonal stuff, where tehy put canning supplies and mason jars. Look for a little limegreen bag and thats it. Use it exaclty like you would use Kalkwasser mic(read above message). Good luck!

Guy
08/03/2001, 02:12 PM
LOL, or.... go to the local feed store and buy hydrated lime for $4.00 for 30 pounds.... ;)

reefmkr
08/03/2001, 02:59 PM
nvillacci, bigchili

kroger by World down under has them too.

nick
i got the nano bug too. i trying day dream about 5g reef for my office.

:D

nvillacci
08/06/2001, 08:15 AM
Well you saw that tank I have at home just waiting to go to my office. I am thinking I will try it this weekend, when noone is there. Hehe, maybe it will keep you from being on the internet all day. BTW did you go see ROYCE this weekend or are you going next weekend?

Later!

reefmkr
08/06/2001, 02:01 PM
I didn't get to go royce house last weekend, I think he is still out of town. I'm going to try for this weekend. I give you call.
later