PDA

View Full Version : Why this is so addictive

thetedinator
02/06/2004, 10:18 PM
I think I hit on what it is (for me) that is so addictive about this hobby.

I am always encountering something new or something that changed or something that sets my ideas on end.

Some refer to this as "forever tinkering". For me, it's really about learning or refining what I thought I knew or realizing I'm wrong (again).

So what did I learn tonight? My tank is almost cycled. I thought, nitrites are not quite at 0 and nitrates are a little high...simple... change some water. I did and that's good. But my skimmer went berserk when I turned it back on. What happened? I'm not sure but I think a thread in the Chemistry Forum may explain it (surficants in the new water). Not really a problem, just unexpected.

So what am I going to learn tomorrow? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to whatever it is......

Ted

nanocat
02/07/2004, 02:43 PM
Wait till you get stuff in there, then it really gets interesting.

"why is that coral shriveling, is it dying?" Next day it looks fab.
"why does my sand have diatoms in one tank, cyano in another tank and the third tank looks like new?"

And my favorite mystery this morning, "what the heck is my dottyback doing spitting sand all day?" Now that's just plain weird.

Rabbit
02/17/2004, 02:09 PM
Oh! Wait till you see wierd little things: like those glowing worms that spin and explode in the morning.

Small little crab/shrimp like things crawling everywhere.

And my new favorite, that wierd fleshy crawling thing I saw the other night that makes me concerned to put my hand in the tank!