PDA

View Full Version : Anyone breeding Pink Skunk Clownfish?

Callie
08/02/2001, 01:26 AM
Is anyone having great success breeding and raising pink skunk clowns?
My pair is spawning every 10 days or so. Lost the 1st couple spawns because the rotifer cultures weren't ready. Have 2 fry from the next spawn. They are about 1 month + or - and I think they will be fine.
The next few spawns lost all larvae, few if any hatched. The parents spawn on a ceramic tile which I leave for the male to care for until most eggs have silver eyes (1 or 2 days before hatching). At that time I remove the tile and place it in a 10 gal tank filled with water from the main (parents) tank. I set the tile over an airstone so the eggs are all in a gentle current. The eggs look healthy when placed in the hatching tank, but then turn white and fall off the tile. According to Joyce Wilkerson's book one cause could be a nutrition defecit in the parents which makes for weak larvae that are not able to break out of the eggs.

The most recent batch hatched last night. I estimate about 40 larvae (the best hatch so far), about 150 + or- eggs did not hatch, turned white and fell off. Things are getting a little better.

Looking for any real success stories and tips. What kind of food etc. I'm feeding flake, artemia, homemade frozen which includes: silversides, krill, shrimp, mysis, gammara, brine shrimp, assorted frozen prepared cubes, selcon. Basically a mix of all the frozen foods I have, blended up and frozen). Should I be adding clams to the mix? Hoping there is something else I can try to increase my hatch rates.

I'm hoping my Ocellaris pair will start breeding soon and according to Joyce's book they are a little easier to raise than the Pink Skunks, so if I can get success on the pink skunks up the ocellaris should be no problem.

Thanks!
Kathy

percula
08/02/2001, 11:21 AM
Ive seen no difference in different species... yet have seen difference between certain pairs of the same species. Anyways, are you dosing iodine? If not I strongly suggest. - perc