PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate LFS Incident

capescuba
02/06/2004, 06:16 PM
First let me start by saying I don't generally agree with flaming, but I need to vent and tell this story because it is just so amazing ...

I spent around 2 months looking for a LFS to put together my new 210 reef. I knew exactly what I wanted, AG 210 with the new Mega Flows, plumbing, glass lids etc. + I wanted a custom made stand to fit in my ER Skimmer. After many visits to stores, i ended up at Aquarium Concepts in hayward. As store I have visited many times before, more so when they were on C street a few years back. I spoke with one sales person, who was great. Took the time to go through everything etc. When I showed him the parts list for my AG set up (I even had all the AG codes on there) he said I should get the "reef ready kit" as it comes with all that (plumbing + glass). I was not aware of this, but as it was cheaper, I thought great.

Over the next week I got several quotes from the store, for the custom stand/canpoy and tank. One quote for the tank alone was ~$200 more than one I had combined with the stand, so figured they were just cutting me a deal. That weekend, I went in and ordered everything, left 50% deposit and walked away rubbing my hands in anticipation.

After about 4 weeks, the tank came in and I got a call. So I went down to collect it. Now the fun starts! When I got there, there was no plumbing or glass, the assistant manager, Tommy, told me I had to pay another $200 to get it, even though I had a quote with me showing it all inclusive! He made a call to the sale person, and then promptly called me back saying that they had made a mistake, and that it was all included ... Phew!...

Well, then next day, when I was heading down there again, I got a call from the owner, Ken, saying that I had to pay the $200 again!!! We turned up at the store and after several minutes of ranting and raving, he said "We have a few problem customers" followed by "We have plenty of other customers"...

He actually tried to push the blame back to me implying I tried to conn them! I had been given 2 quotes, decided to buy, based upon the cheaper one, and now I was a problem customer!

I actually like the store, they have put a lot of effort into what they do, and they have great selection and knowledge, but this was just an unbelievable way to treat any customer.

I should add that all ended ok with me getting my tank etc.