PDA

View Full Version : UNCW/NOAA's aquarius research facility

Troy182
02/06/2004, 08:38 AM
While I was in chicago I made it to a meeting of the Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS) www.cmas.net Thier guest speakers where divers on UNCW/NOAA's aquarius research facility. It was pretty cool they stay down under water for 10 days doing research. I thought some of you guys might find it interesting.

http://www.uncw.edu/aquarius/index.html

Simbo18
02/06/2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been looking for something like this because I want some sort of job in this field. But these aren't the only jobs available dealing with the reef, are they?http://www.uncw.edu/aquarius/education/jobs.html

I want a job that studies speices of corals and no the ecology of weather/human effects on corals. Is there such thing as a reefologist?

:wildone:Luke:wildone:

djangoboots
02/06/2004, 04:56 PM
Yes and No. I went to school for a time at James Cook U. in qld australia. It's right on the GBR, and there are some lucky buggers out there that do stuff like that, but mostly for themselves. it's the ecology of the reef that is really more important than anything else. This includes impact studies. It's hard enough getting a job that actually pays doing that . So an answer to your ?, yes, you can be a "reefologist" but will you get paid? probably not. If you want I can discuss some of this with you at the next meeting. Trust me, I know where you're coming from, there's a reason i ended up in australia and another reason why i now work @ MUSC. though i did work for NOAA for a time too.

Simbo18
02/06/2004, 05:32 PM
Awesome!! Someone with background.... Did you ever go to gradutate school?
And I'm willing to do ecology BUT what I REALLY want to do is study the corals themselves... you know. But whatever gets me in the field is fine with me. If your an ecologist you do go diving, right? LOL
How long were you in Austrailia? I wouldn't mind takeing a school trip there..... but what's the cash like for school and board?:rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't wait to ask the questions until next meeting.:lol:

djangoboots
02/06/2004, 05:58 PM
Sure no problem. I am on the cusp of going to grad school but i don't think I am going to do it. I am presently planning on going into the medical field (i want to be able to afford the tank of my dreams, not just dream about it). I did alot of diving; but since leaving OZ I have just done some free diving in the west indies. once you've dived the GBR nothing else seems worth it. I lived there for a little over 6 months. I plan on going back (actually I will probably go to NZ) once i finish the medical degree i am working on.
by the way, what high school do you go to, just wondering.

Simbo18
02/06/2004, 06:07 PM
Sorry about hijacking the thread, Troy. We will PM.

Troy182
02/07/2004, 06:20 PM
dude that's what this message board is for... conversation among peolpe with common interests hijack away

Simbo18
02/07/2004, 06:26 PM
Well I wasn't sure you would mind. Some people can get agrivated when other people start their own little chat..... Thanks though!!!

Simbo18
02/07/2004, 06:29 PM
Well do you or Jeesa know how much NOAA pays a month and what it takes to make it on the team? And what kind of volunteering work can you do for them? If any.

Simbo18
02/07/2004, 06:50 PM
Check this.:mad2:

In comparison to other scientific outposts, Aquarius operating costs of about $1.2 million a year are modest. The laboratory is less expensive on a daily basis than an oceanographic cruise; the cost of a single space shuttle mission would cover the habitat’s expenses for the next 500 years. Nevertheless, federal budgets are being chopped, and the Aquarius program has been on the block every year since operations began. We hope this last underwater outpost will survive, allowing its users to continue expanding our knowledge of coral reefs, our oceans and our planet.

Ok, Aquarius= http://www.uncw.edu/aquarius/about/about_location.htm

This is just crazy. It never occured to me that we are exploring other terains in space FOR life when we HAVE life we need to preserve...... What the hell kind of sense dose that make?? Our government is messed up.

Anyone know how to get ahold of our president that is all for space exploration???

minfinger
02/07/2004, 06:55 PM
Jeesa does know what she's talking about and a wonderful additional to the members.

Simbo18
02/07/2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah I know, it's awesome having someone with real reef background in the group. I was wondering why she wasn't ooing and awing over that DVD you played at the last meeting....... She's been to the GBR!!!!:lol:

Troy182
02/07/2004, 07:20 PM
I will send you an email with Micheal Hodges Info. He works for SCDNR specifically he works with the SCORE project and some others but He has contact with Noaa through S.C.O.R.E.(South Carolina Oyster Re-habilitation and Enhancement) there are plenty of volunteer activities available. check out cdnr's web site
http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/

Simbo18
02/07/2004, 07:24 PM
LOL, my dad used to work for DNR (reef fishery dep.), but please send me the info. I'm sure my dad knows him and I'll see if he can't get me in on the action.;) I mainly need his e-mail addy. Thanks!
My e mail is FalconerLPS@Juno.com if you havn't already sent it.

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 11:43 AM
Luke I was woking at NOAA when I was an undergrad and I was the youngest person in there at the time. I know that you're chomping at the bit, but you may have to hold your horses for the real hands on stuff untill you get to college. That is unless you want to pay for the experience. Right now I would just be focusing on as many science (esp chemistry) classes you can get your hands on. If you're PADI or NAUI cert. you can volunteer down in the keys for a program that was called REEF Count, not sure what they call themselves now, it's a pretty cool program though. You're lucky though, CofC has a great Marine bio program and some incredible opportunities. I promise we'll talk about it. GO STUDY!!

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 11:54 AM
LOL, I do study, but only classes I like....:rolleyes: Like my math and science classes.
My dad is checking with some friends out at DNR to see how old you have to be to go on a 5 day reasearch trip on the Palmetto. They do this a couple times a year and voulnteers are ALWAYS welcome since they are usually short a few people. Not the funnest job but I think I'll like it.

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 12:01 PM
Actually that is a great trip, I had a friend who worked on that boat and was suppose to get me on it but never did, hint hint. Not to sound like your parents or anything, but all your classes are important when it comes to getting into college. (ya ya I know you know that, sorry to sound like a guidance counsler). I will have to bring my photos from GBR for next meeting. I don't have any underwater ones, but you can see some awesome fish.

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 12:43 PM
Sure bring the photos!!! And I KNOW that I could get you on the Palmetto if you wanted. You just need a 5 day vacation.....;) Just tell me if you want to and my dad will set it up. They always need more people so you would be no problem. I think for the next trip they are 10 people under.....:eek:
I know all my classes are important to get into college, but not many of them are important in everyday situtations...... I do study for them, just not like my fav classes. lol

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 12:44 PM
I meant to ask who your friend was, my dad might have worked with him. Or at least know him. Is your friend still out at DNR?

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 01:01 PM
I think he is, not sure though, it's been a long time. Dan, I just forgot his last name. He was a CofC grad. He's probably in his mid to late 30's. His last name will come to me. Good guy, worked on the sturgeon project for a while too.

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 01:55 PM
Well when you think of his last name let me know. I think there a few Dan's out there.... not sure. You think you would want to do a cruise on the palmetto?

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 02:44 PM
when is it?

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 02:45 PM
Sorry I have to do this, just one more post and I am @ 100!

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 02:59 PM
Congrates on 100!!!!!!:celeb1: :celeb3: :thumbsup:

I'm not quite sure, this summer some time. They don't do any cruises durring the winter.

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 03:39 PM
if I am here then yes, I would like to go. I am planning on a trip to visit my uncle in Hawaii in June.

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 04:01 PM
MAN!!!! You go everywhere, I would so love to surf some pipe over there.....

djangoboots
02/09/2004, 04:05 PM
ya and get your head split open while you're at it. surfing is much more dangerous then it looks over there. I have to bring those photos too.

Simbo18
02/09/2004, 04:13 PM
Trust me, I know.;) Dieing while surfing is the only thing I'm not affraid of..... pretty crazy, I know. I love those huge thick walls pounding down 20 feet away and feeling the vibrations. Nothing better. If I remember right, last hurricane swell this summer, there were ony 6 of us out there, me included.:rolleyes: But hey, I was on three different news stations... LOL!!!