PDA

View Full Version : Nano Newbie Questions!

TankGirl
08/01/2001, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

First, some background as I am new to the board: My husband is in the midst of setting up a 90g tank and bought a 10g for a quarentine about 2 months ago. Well, I got ahold of it and turned it into a nano! He's just going to have to get a new q. tank.

I have 10lbs of LS, 11lbs of LR, a maxi-jet power head, a whisper filter, and a heater. I keep the tank at around 78-82 deg. 2 false percs, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 sally lightfoot, 1 snail, 2 red-legged hermits and 1 sand sifting star that I stupidly bought on the advice of my LFS (first mistake in hopefully a short list over time). I am returning the star on Thursday so no worries. Tank is thriving with all kinds of critters coming out of the LR including a brittle star!

So, I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you all could help me out with:

1. I would like to add some SD sand but I am worried about my tank creatures. What is the perfered method of adding more sand, especially SD that is so fine and makes the tank super cloudy?

2. I think am going to upgrade my lighting with a CSL SmartLite retrofit kit. Is this a good product?

3. Is a 10g too small to keep a BTA once I get the new lights? I would like a host for my percs, but I do not want to kill anything.

Thanks for all of your help! This is a great site with TONS of good info!

king1522
08/01/2001, 03:16 PM
I can only answer #2. I've been very happy with wy CSL smartlite on my 7 gal. :D

lakerfan
08/01/2001, 06:31 PM
what type of CSL Smartlite are you talking about (wattage) Have you looked into www.ahsupply.com they have decently priced PC setups.
You can try adding the sand a cup at a time. That shouldn't bother the other inhabitants of the tank. Personally, i would rinse the SD sand before adding to an already established tank.

I can't answer on the last question since i have never attempted to keep anemones, nor am i willing to in the future.