PDA

View Full Version : Clam Questions.....Derasa and Crocea

TonyHNYC
08/01/2001, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone,
I've been keeping both clams for almost 8 months now. My Corecea is growing quite well (with 1 cm of new growth). However, my Derasa is not growing at all....Any clues? My water parameters are all Zero (phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, Ammonia). Calcium and alk should in acceptable ranges....Although I have not check, but my crocea is growing, so I assume it should be fine...Any one had any other experience like this?

Thanks

Tony

MiNdErAsR
08/03/2001, 09:28 AM
Somtimes you'll see periods of inactivity followed by a growth spurt. Are you feeding phytoplankton? With clams under 4", feeding is very important. Might help to feed the tank more often (foods other than phytoplankton) to get your nitrates in the 0-10 mg/L range as well.

TonyHNYC
08/03/2001, 10:00 PM
Hi !
I do feed them.....It is a cryopaste that Dr. Ron suggested it... Well, it is very lively with its expanded mantle...It is just that both of my Derasas are not growing at all while my crocea is growing with new shell additions.......

RhondaJ
09/07/2001, 10:43 AM
You didn't mention calcium levels. Atleast I didn't notice if you did. Also Dr Ron told me that if the clam is under 4 inchs they should be feed DT Live Phytoplanton along with the cryopaste. He told me the DTs were actually more important than than the cryopaste. I do use both and I have 5 clams. They are all growing well and 3 of them are under 4 inchs. I also keep my calcium at atleast 450.

RhondaJ
09/07/2001, 10:48 AM
I reread your post and do see you mentioned calcium. Anyway I would recommend that you check it. Maybe the growth of the other has brought it down more than you realize.

TonyHNYC
09/07/2001, 10:55 AM
Hi!
They are all fed Cryopaste from Brineshrimpdirect as recommended by Dr. Ron. Last night, when I check for Calcium, it was 405 ppm. So I guess the cal should be good. It grew a little a while back, but stopped growing....However, the crocea is still growing continuously....

Thanks for your reply

GOOD (G)REEF
09/08/2001, 01:04 PM
Your calcium is low. You need to bring it up to atleast 450, leaning more towards the 500 range. I suspect you will begin to see accelerated growth in your crocea as well as you derassas after you accomplish this.