PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing: bottom or side?

aargh
02/04/2004, 11:03 AM
Hello -- this is my first post. First off, I'd like to say that this is a wonderful site and a great community. I'm looking forward to participating.

I have been reefkeeping for 10 years, and I lost my pride and joy, a 3-year old 150-gallon reef, during a 5-day power outage during the hurricane last year. It was pretty distressing, and I haven't mustered the courage to start over...yet.

Anyway, my question concerns overflows and plumbing. I found that dealing with overflows and standpipes and bottom-drilled holes in my 150-gallon tank was a real pain in the butt compared to the side-drilled plumbing I had in a smaller tank in the past. What am I missing here? If the tank won't be viewed from the side, is there anything wrong with plumbing the tank near the waterline on the sides of the tank?

I'm starting to think about my next tank, and I really want to hear what people think about this issue.

Thanks,
- Brian

crescent1
02/05/2004, 09:41 PM
i dont see ant problems with the side, but why dont you just drill the upper back instead.

Jim in santa barbara
02/05/2004, 09:54 PM
Welcome :) Check around the site, as there are many varying opinions here. I myself prefer a upper bulkhead as I seem to move my tanks alot, bottom drilled seems to be louder. Goodluck and I'd buy a battery powered airpump first thing if you havent already.

aargh
02/07/2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will consider plumbing the rear wall in my next tank. I just can't understand why anyone (myself included) goes to all the trouble of corner overflows.

Now I just need to decide what size tank to get...:-)

crescent1
02/07/2004, 02:01 PM
hey aargh, im in silver spring, where are you.

aargh
02/09/2004, 10:20 AM
I'm in Mclean -- would love to compare notes. My e-mail address is brian@loew.com

- Brian