PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain Reef Club ...time to organize!

Brad A.
02/04/2004, 08:29 AM
Green Mountain Reef Club (GMRC)

Here are some initial ideas about our purpose and goals

1. Education- teaching through visiting other members tanks and actual presentations and group discussions on trouble shooting.

2. Propagation- a focus of the reef club can be propagating and sharing coral. For example, the club can buy a big coral and cut it up at a meeting. This will teach members how to properly cut a coral...and everybody will get a piece.

3. Hang out with other reef nerds

Why organize?

1. Growth...we will be able to promote an offical club
2. MACNA certification (We become a recongized club)
3. Collect money for coral propagation and eventually bring in guest speakers
4. We can promote club possibly at Pet Advantage where we might be able to get group buys and discounts

Please respond with ideas....take away/modify/add to the above

tsalter is working on a website and I'm working on getting a dedicated server.

Brad

Tom Berry
02/04/2004, 09:53 PM
So who wants to be president? I'll be the treasurer. Dues are due immediately; I need more frags :D

Tom:fish2:

Brad A.
02/04/2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Tom Berry
So who wants to be president? I'll be the treasurer. Dues are due immediately; I need more frags :D

Exactly why tom b. should not be treasurer! J/K

Isnt there a banker in the club?

I was talking to Drew today and we thought about changing the name to something like Vermont Marine and Reef Aquarium Society (VMRAS) This would include marine fish only hobbyist as well as the extreme reefkeeper.

I'm getting a server so we can run our own BBS.

Brad

Tom Berry
02/04/2004, 11:54 PM
I was talking to Drew today and we thought about changing the name to something like Vermont Marine and Reef Aquarium Society (VMRAS) This would include marine fish only hobbyist as well as the extreme reefkeeper.

No way! If you don't have multiple megawatt halides and exotic acros up the wazoo, then forget about it. :bounce1:

nolofinwe
02/05/2004, 04:17 PM
Great idea guys, what kind of server are you getting, brad?

Im a web builder by trade, if tsalter needs a hand with any coding or setting up a bulletin board, drop me a line.

Brad A.
02/05/2004, 05:29 PM
I'm going to give setting up the bbs a try. If i cant get it to work I'll definetly give you a call.

The server is at www.axentra.com the h-25.
It will be here tomarrow. I plan on attaching it to my cable service. (for as long as I can before they notice).

The server will run php and has My-SQL for the database.

tsalter
02/06/2004, 04:00 PM
Cool we could use all the web help we can get. I am mostly a graphics person by trade and know nothing about php and that end. We are probably going to run phpbb and try to figure it out. I am sure brad will do most of the install work and I will work on the graphics and some of the setup. I imagine the phpbb stuf is plug and play basically configuring the site how you want it. It seems like all the vbulletin sites I see are all basically the same.
Dunno it is gray area to me. I do know html and coding but i imagine that there isn't much hand coding going on in phpbb just setup stuff and file management?

BTW. I was tossing around doing a seacrop order with in the next month. I was going to throw that out to the group to see who wants to split shipping. There prices are resonable. I was thinking of waiting till it got just a bit warmer though.

Tom

Brad A.
02/06/2004, 11:41 PM
I got the server up and running. This thing is very kewl. I'll work on the phpbb next.

tsalter
02/07/2004, 09:00 AM
Good deal, keep me posted!

Tom

nolofinwe
02/08/2004, 06:49 PM
ditto, sounds good.

is the front page going to be the forum? do you have a map of what you'd like?

I've got two jobs I'm in the middle of now, but I should have some time early next week.

tsalter
02/08/2004, 07:06 PM
Don't think we are there quite yet. I think brad is playing with the server to see if he can host it and maybe get the phpbb installed.

I threw together some basic pages on
home.sprintmail.com/~tpreska

but I don't think this is the final incarnation of the site navigation. but I think we definately want pages for

Meeting info
New member information
Member tank pics
Forum which could contain all of the previous items.
links

I can't remeber if I am leaving anything out

Thanks

T

Brad A.
02/08/2004, 09:06 PM
nolofinwe,

I think I'm going to need help with this server and getting phpbb setup. I'm good with windows based software, but linux is throwing me for a loop. I'll work on it more this week. I do know for a fact that this server will host phpbb.

Brad

SHOmuchFUN
02/08/2004, 10:12 PM
I think this is a great idea... I'm a newbie for the most part, have done quite a bit of research and reading, but feel I'm lacking some second-hand knowledge. I would love for someone to come over to my place and check out my tank and give me advice for my setup. I think it would also be very neat to get someone's advice on just how to aquascape my tank. I have a lot of things that I do have questions about, such as topping off water, dosing kalkwasser, how to hide some of my equipment, and make my maintenance easier.

I would love to pay dues to get together to buy corals to split. I also have a lot of pictures of my tank that I'd like to share and upload for people to see and critique. I actually think this hobby is outgrowing the area's supply. The bulk of the Pet Advantage's shipment that came in recently has already been wiped out for the most part and no offense to them or Drew/Jay because they have been nothing but helpful and kind, but their frags are really expensive. We won't even get into Green Mtn. Aquarium :rolleyes:

I hope that we are able to come together and create something that is enjoyable and beneficial to all. With proper support and advertisement, this can only mean healthier and fuller marine tanks for all.

Brad A.
02/08/2004, 10:17 PM
I'm not very good at aquascaping, but I could help on technical aspects such as dosing kalk, lighting, etc.. You're welcome to come and see my set up. I cant remember if you were at the Jan meeting at my place?

SHOmuchFUN
02/08/2004, 10:32 PM
No Brad, the meeting at Tom's was my first. I wish I would've made your meeting because I've heard many good things, but I had to work that night :( I would like to see it sometime though.

nolofinwe
02/09/2004, 01:04 AM
Hey Brad,
the server is running on Linux? what version, from whom?

My Linux and back-end Unix capabilities rival my natural ability to fly and shoot laser beams. But I'll help if I can.

What's working right now?

The best chance I'll have for installing phpbb, movable type, or whatever will probably be remotely over an FTP connection. Thats how I do 99% of my server work. well, that and lots of coffee and swearing.