PDA

View Full Version : Clams In A Nano????

lakerfan
07/31/2001, 01:53 PM
I really haven't had any experience with clams and i just want your opinions on how easy they are to take care of and of any precautions that I should take. I really want to add a clam to my tank, but at the same time i don't want to give the clam certain death.
I am about 30-40 mins from Jeff's exotic fish so getting a clam wouldn't be a problem

thank you all!!!

Guy
07/31/2001, 02:24 PM
It would definately not be certain death by any means. But it would be unlikely to thrive unless you can keep the water stable and full of food without fouling the tank. I'm sure it has been done sucessfully but I think it's a bad idea.

lakerfan
08/01/2001, 06:37 PM
Anyone else want to take a stab at this???? Does anyone here have a clam in their nano and which type of clam is the easiest to take care of if i were to try it?
The LFS around the corner from me has 2 clams in a 15 gal tank. I have been watching it for the past 2 months and they seem to be doing fine (probably got bigger)

Randy V
08/05/2001, 08:20 PM
I'm keeping a 1.5 inch squamosa in a 5g by itself but it's kind of an emergency measure as it was being harassed in my show tank. I'm using 2 65w LOA lights over it and it seems okay but I wouldn't recommend it. Depends on what you consider a nano also. I have a 15g with 250w mh pendant lighting that I think clams would do well under. But maybe 15g isn't within your definition of a nano.

snafuforyou
08/07/2001, 09:26 AM
Lakerfan,

I've had 2 small maxima's in my 10 gal for over a month now. About 1.5". They are doing great.

My lighting is 2x36 w 1 white 1 blue and 1 x 24 w all pc's.

Bob McGee
08/12/2001, 10:23 PM
I had a 2" Derassa under 2x28W PC's in a 10 gallon nano for over a year and it did very well. Derassas aren't aren't as dependant on light as some other clams, but mine grew and thrived quite nicely.

Bob

lakerfan
08/13/2001, 01:29 PM
thanks for the replies. I guess i'll just wait for the next sale at Jeff's then I can go get one. I was just there last week and they really didn't have that many clams in their tanks.