PDA

View Full Version : Some 210 upgrades

reefann
02/03/2004, 01:24 PM
I guess 210 gallons is ok to post here....
I am planning to do some (for me) major upgrades, now that the halides are up and running.
Currently my tank is running 3 400watt USHIO 10,000k bulbs. I tried to use my old PC units for Actinic supplimation, X4 55watts. This is not cutting it at all so I wanted to run some VHO under the hood. I wanted to run a primarily SPS LPS with a few softies.*note I know to watch out for warefare.
My first question was do you think that two icecap 660 ballast running 3 or 4 VHO tubes each would provide enough actinic light. *note I was fine with the 10k look but my dad wants more florecence. AND which manufactorer supplies the best actinic VHO bulb, in your opinion?
The second upgrade is going to be a SKIMMER! I wanted to stay away from Euro-reef, especially after I found ASM. I was thinking a G series probably 3 or 4x. I wanted to stay under 450$, I would love to be lower but I dont want to skimp on a skimmer again.
The third upgrade is going to be the replacement of my current overflow box with two CPR 1600gph overflows, I KNOW I KNOW but drilling the tank can not happen. Then the addition of a HOB style closed loop.
Then a rubbermade fuge for macros and a floatswitch kalk topoff.
ANY suggestions would help a lot. I was mostly concerned with getting the best skimmer for my money. and that the icecaps would work out. My dad wants clear water with a lot of florecense.
THANKS A LOT
JJ
BTW I planed on a large MAG for my new return something in the area of 2000GPH to 3000GPH. BUT the noise is a huge factor, does anyone know how load these things are? I wanted to stay away from an ampmaster for $$$$ issues. Any insight in a return pump would help to.
Thanks

gregt
02/06/2004, 09:55 PM
I would not use a mag. They can't handle pressure and they are loud and hot. For a tank that size I would use an external pump.

steve68
02/07/2004, 09:47 PM
i second that im about to switch from 1 Mag24 & 1 Mag18
the mag24 runs my tank & the 18 runs my MR-2 wich is a great skimmer for under 450,the pumps are loud & they give off alot of heat transfer i wanted to skimp on the external pump but after this 2 issues i deciaded 2 use 2 external pumps & new acrylic sump,i bought a new sequence 3200 & a used Iwaki 100rlt for the skimmer u can get a used external pump cheap just dont make the same mistake i did :)

BigDaddy
02/07/2004, 11:41 PM
I would recommend the lifereef u-tube overflows, unless cpr went to a u tube, they have a big problem w/ siphon breaks.