PDA

View Full Version : OK, How do I get started?

whirley
07/31/2001, 01:04 AM
Hello.
OK, I'd like to setup a small 5 gallon tank at my office.
I've got hd sand, corals (mushies, maybe a sps), liverock, etc...
I'm just concerned about lighting and current.

First off, what kind of lights can I put in such a small tank?
LOA? Isn't that too much heat in such a small tank?

What do you do with current? I prefer a simple setup,
nothing hanging out of the aquarium. Just a canopy,
with the lights, and a pump of some sort for circulation.
What kind of pump can I use in such a small tank?

I've got 3 tanks at home, so water changes isn't a problem.

whirley

:D

Q-ball
07/31/2001, 09:42 AM
If you don't mind some DIY work, you can check out how I put 4x13w PC's over my 7g bowfront...the light box I made could easily be converted over to a 5g tank, no problem:
www.reefcentral.com/q-ball

HTH

Q!!!

mr9iron
08/02/2001, 11:11 PM
Whirley, Congratulations on catching the nano bug. For filtration you could place a small hob filter on the back of the tank and it should provide adeauate circulation. If you find this isnt enough you may try one of the mini jet pumps. As for the lighting you could go with something like Q-Ball has or you could go with the csl 32 watt retro kit. HTH Good luck with your new nano and remember to keep us posted on all progress.:D :D :D :D

Tadashi
08/03/2001, 09:08 AM
I did a 5-gal (http://www.geocities.com/ktchinn/5-gal.html). I had two 36-watt CSL PCs. They generated a lot of heat so I had to put a clip on walmart fan on the tank to keep the temp between 81-84 deg. This causes a lot of EVAP so I had to use a AT-1 Tsunami to pump water back to the tank. This is a little more pleasing to the eye rather than have a siphon tank above the aquarium.

I used to two small pumps for current. The skimmer (Remora) did not provide much current. I like the size of the AQ-100 pumps but they seem to clog easily (requires a weekly cleaning). The MJ-606 is a good pump. Workhorse requiring little maintenance but a little big. I used nozzles from the MJ-1200 to help direct flow on the 606.

Definitely get a skimmer. It will reduce maintenance time. I only did monthly WC versus weekly. Plus you can hide thermometers and heaters in the return section. I recommend a CPR 2 for the 5-gal. You will just need to build a base to prop up the tank about 4" or put next to the edge of a table to let the skimmer hang over the back. Even with the skimmer it would still be a simple system.