PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet access for notebook?

SmartWrasse
02/02/2004, 09:58 PM
Sorry for the OT thread, but I know we have some computer gurus in the area. If you had to connect a notebook computer to a wireless /cell phone for the internet, which ISP would you use? The phone in question has service through Verizon.

Sir Knight
02/03/2004, 12:46 AM
Mike,
You can try a cable modem
Just kidding I don't think you can get a cable that long.:lol:

If I was going to do this I would go with the cheapest provider.
with a local number and one that has multiple access numbers both local and out of area. I use netzero as my dailup backup

You can also do a search on the internet for ISP providers

Hope this helps :beer:

sjdyer
02/03/2004, 08:13 AM
You should talk to vezion they have a new wireless pcmcia card that you can get to have wireless internet with out using your cell phone. I do not know what they are charging for it. But it would be worth a phone to them it find out.

imsqueak
02/03/2004, 07:59 PM
We hooked up our sales guy with wireless lap top. It's the coolest. He can even print to our printer in Knox while he's in Tri-Cities. And of course he can access internet and email. I'm pretty sure our broadband it through earthlink but I'll ask him about it. Yes, I think he's getting broadband via sat! Darn salesmen get everything, promise the moon, and dump it on ops to figure out. (well not him, yet!)

BiGOrange
02/14/2004, 12:48 AM
Joe At Planet Connection planetc.com has been talking about wireless for Maryville for some time.

It's 1.5/1.5 too!

imsqueak
02/14/2004, 12:58 AM
That reminds me. I did ask. Our sales guy has a card on his LT that picks up any access in the area or he can specifically dial like a cell phone to get a "connection". It's via sprint. Company paid for... lucky bumb!

SmartWrasse
02/14/2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. THis was for my parents who do not have cable or wired phone. They decided to go with the adapter that plugs into their phone, and a regular dial ISP. Seems to work well for them, and better than my at work dial up.

capt. insano
02/14/2004, 08:40 PM
did anyone use ricochet when they were in business? It was, by far, the best wireless option ever. At their peak, they had 20 large metro areas covered, it was a very small attachment that went thru the ethernet port......I use a sprint air card now (pcmcia)....and it sucks compared to ricochet. I was able to get 400k/sec downloads with ricochet