PDA

View Full Version : regional frag swap

fishdoc11
02/02/2004, 09:56 PM
Hello East Tennessee reef club,
Tennessee Reefers had our first meeting last week and I must say the turnout was better than expected. Satman had extended an invitation for reefers in our area to attend a monthly meeting in East Tenn a while back and the subject of a regional frag swap came up. I brought up the subject last week at the meeting and it was well received. I had talked about this with Evilmel on our forum and she thought it sounded like a good idea. I was wondering what the rest of you thought. A place in between ( maybe Cookville ) was suggested. I have several different kinds of sps and a couple kinds of softies to offer and know of another person in the club that has several different kinds of zoos, some very nice pom pom and a few sps. I'm sure their are more as everybody that wants to join could'nt make it. What do yall think about maybe doing this sometime in the future?
thanks, Chris

SmartWrasse
02/02/2004, 10:02 PM
I am sure a number of us would be interested. We haven't had a big frag fest, but we are often trading a few here and there. Quite a few members are in the early stages and would be willing to buy, beg, or barter.:)

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 10:04 PM
Like I said on you guys' thread, I think this would greatly benefit both clubs and could be really cool.

I have green finger leather (not super green), green and brown zooanthids (green fringe), Acropora millepora (brown with green polyps), probably could have some brown plating montipora with enough notice of when the meeting would be.

I would be interested in the sps frags myself.

And I might be able to get some red zooanthids off this one rock too.

I'm all for it.

A. Critter Killer
02/02/2004, 10:40 PM
Complete random question, but how many active members are there in the East Tennessee Reefer Club? Do many of ya'll frag? ----Sean

SITNLOWDOWN
02/02/2004, 10:45 PM
hey im in i could become a member that day if that would be alright or would i have to become a member befor then i need somemore sps and only have a few to offer in trade lol marrage puts a big damper on spending or buying peices now lol just please let me know im very interested if that would be ok with you all
thanks daniel
sitnlowdownsouth@aol.com
ps as close to chattanooga as possable lol
sitnlowdownsouth@aol.com

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't say many of us have the capability to produce large numbers of frags. No.

But atleast a few of us can put together a few frags I believe. I can have alot if need be, but I just don't know how many people would want what I have. So it would be nice if everyone could post exactly what they have, how many frags they can make and what they want.

Is that possible for you guys? If not, it's no big deal, but it's just a good way to decide if it's worth the trouble.

We have atleast 21 members more than half of which I would say are active.

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 10:54 PM
Daniel, you can join anytime you want to. Or it's not a big deal if you just want to come to a meeting here and there.

Also, I don't think it's a big deal if you come to the frag swap without joining. Now I am absolutely not trying to discourage you from joining. I just wanted to tell you that since you are really out of town, it's not a big deal if you don't JOIN.

fishdoc11
02/02/2004, 11:40 PM
I'm glad some people are interested. I also think the idea of posting a list is a good one. I will probably need a little notice any way to frag some more stuff, I try not to keep my sand bed covered but it usually stays that way anyway.
thanks, Chris

SITNLOWDOWN
02/03/2004, 07:10 PM
well good im glad i could i only have a few frags dang it but i would be willing to buy what ever lol as far as sps goes because im going to a straight sps tank just let me know if any one has some sps f/s or f/t

bshumake
02/03/2004, 09:39 PM
Oh thank GOD i have found brothers in arms. i have checked this board a couple of times but didn't see anything about a swap. I'm interested in getting in on this action. Used to live in Nashvegas so the trip is totally worth it to me. keep me posted please or send me some info abot the club.
Barrett
bshumakr@midsouth.rr.com

bshumake
02/03/2004, 09:41 PM
P.S. I'm fraggin some stuff but i seriously doubt it is anything anyone of yall would want. Mushroom (brown), Xenia sp., Pom Pom xenia so far.

EvilMel
02/03/2004, 10:58 PM
You can check out the club at Easttnreefclub.com.

We meet every month either at someone's house to see their tank or at a restaurant. The meetings are posted on the web site. We are routinely trading frags here and there but not usually on a grand scale.

The Nashville guys just formed a club too I believe, if you are closer to them. It is through that store Emerald Bay (aka EBay hah hah), I believe. But don't quote me on it.

Mel

SITNLOWDOWN
02/03/2004, 11:19 PM
hey since im a member of the atlanta reef club i could see if they would like to all get together also with you all and have a big frag swap we could all meet on the tn and ga line and everyone just make friend swap frags and info on stuff. if your all intrested just let me know and we could see what we could get going i know a store that would probally be more than happy to maybe host such a meeting

fishdoc11
02/04/2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Guys,
Partial list of frags for impending ( hopefully ) frag swap. (subject to change): approx #
bright green Mont cap 3-4
blonde Mont digi 3-4
orange Mont digi 3-4
pink Mont digi 1-2
elkhorn Mont 1-2
blue tip loripes 3-4
purple stag 3-4
Mike Paletta blue Acro 2-3
Tri color Acro ( 3 kinds ) 1-2 of each
Red Sea pulsing Xenia 3-4
Sinularia (white, rasta type) 3-4

We'll have to see how every body feels about where to meet the first time. I think the idea was to get all the TN people together first and see how that went. I am also not opposed to moving the location to accomidate other people as long as it does'nt entail a longer trip (either from Nasvegas or Knoxvegas). The more the merrier in my opinion . But my, and I'm sure everybody elses, time is limited. What do yall think?
thanks, Chris

bshumake
02/04/2004, 11:12 PM
having never been to a frag swap what should i expect? are the frags bagged? do we all get together on Sat the swapping take place on a Sunday? i'm just looking at a 4 hour drive one way mostlikely so i'm just curious.

fishdoc11
02/05/2004, 06:53 AM
I've never been to one either but I was planning on driving to and back in the same day. My frags will be bagged as I assume the others will also, exept maybe some people would prefer to use another type of container. I was planning on putting prices on my frags with the stipulation that I would rather trade than sell. In other words the nicer ones would be a little more expensive but would preferably be used to trade for other nicer frags that I don't have.
thanks, Chris

EvilMel
02/05/2004, 09:01 AM
So I was not thinking of an overnight trip. I think if we do that then very few people would go.

Sorry bshumake, but you could always make it an overnight trip for yourself to break up the driving.

Yeah ETRC people usually bag em. I am partial to disposable stuff like gladware myself because there's less of a chance of the bag breaking on the way home. Even if you double bag, sometimes things break through, especially kinda sharp sps.

fishdoc11: I think we could have a frag swap with only your frags!
hah hah.

I would probably be able to have atleast 4-5 of each of mine, but most of mine are alot more common than fishdoc's. I will say this though, most of mine are really fast growers! That's something.

I could easily have more frags of my leather, gsp, and Acropora millepora (these are all enormous).

bshumake
02/05/2004, 10:50 AM
i hate to be a hanger-on but i think my best bet would be to buy off of people. would that be frowned upon? i got a feeling that the only thing i would be able to offer for trade would be Xenia...and i don't think many would wanna add that to a SPS tank.

EvilMel
02/05/2004, 12:00 PM
What kind of xenia is it? And would they be decent sized frags?

There seems to be alot of xenia around, but who knows if other people with xenia will come to this particular frag swap? Ya know?

I wouldn't consider a buyer of frags to be a hanger on. Honestly my tank is getting really full and I have no plans to set up a new one in the future, so I am all for people buying my frags. I honestly only want to trade/buy frags that I think are especially neat for me. But I am all for selling my frags. Some of the ones fishdoc11 has sound really cool.

SO I am totally fine with people buying stuff.

Oh I forgot to mention to everyone: if you have only a certain number of people who are going, they can buy frags for other people in the group. Like for instance, not all of our members would be able to go but I am sure that some of them would want whoever did go to pick up frags for them. You Nashville guys can do the same, ya know?

bshumake
02/05/2004, 01:14 PM
on es a Xenia sp. that i need to ID. the other is pink Pom Pom. i planned on trying to get sme nice sized frags goin so i'm not skimping on anyone. i'm tryin to hopefully get a nice variety of LPS and SPS one day but i really dont wanna have to go broke doing it in the meantime. so a frag swap sounds really good to me. besides...i got no one to banter with about tanks.

fishdoc11
02/06/2004, 05:59 PM
Hey Mel,
I just got through looking at the pics of your tank. Looks nice! I definately will want some of the zoos and one of the Acro. When do you think we should have this? I'm still looking for a little more interest but I think that will come with time. I was thinking in a few weeks. Definately don't want it mid term week or over spring break. Just wondering when you were thinking. I also have no problem with people buying frags as I think that's what most people will probably do. I am still hoping more people will chime in with some more good stuff!
thanks, Chris

easttn
02/06/2004, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

I hope to be at this months meeting at the Poole's house and I'll have some stuff for trade. The pulsing xenia are ready to harvest again..their huge! I also have 4 small acropora frags that are not ID'ed but very bright green (not a hydnophora (sp?) ), beautiful glowing bright green. I also have a green brain that does not like my halides...trade for some unique colored zoes, has been in the tank for two years, he has a pink sponge trying to grow on the small rock hes attached to, hurry he is getting puny. I have some frags off two different large colonies of cerealis that will for trade later this spring. Got them from RM two months ago and they are starting to color back up. You guys can send me your email, and I'll send a picture. I live in Johnson City and always look for a reason to go to Knoxberg. First come first serve, really want any SPS that is not green or brown. Anyone have any SPS or that can meet this Sunday?.
Charles

fishdoc11
02/06/2004, 09:47 PM
easttn,
Are you interested in bringing any of those sps to a regional frag swap sometime in the future maybe in Cookville? I have several sps that are'nt green or brown (listed above) and am looking for same. What color is your Cerealis?
Chris

easttn
02/06/2004, 10:01 PM
fishdoc
Send email, i'll send pics. Are you willing to meet in ktown? I'm 1.8 hours east of there.

Marine19
02/07/2004, 03:40 AM
Sounds like a plan!!

fishdoc11
02/13/2004, 09:20 PM
Hi all,
Unfortunately the interest in a regional frag swap has been allmost nonexistant on my end. I am planning a trip to Ktown in the near future to trade with a couple of people and was wondering if anybody else wanted to trade or wanted me to bring any of my corals to purchase? I am sorry the regional thing did'nt work out as I thought it would. Maybe sometime down the line.
thanks, Chris

Pandarian
02/13/2004, 10:09 PM
I would like to get stuff from you Chris. How much were you looking for per frag? I dont have any worthwild trades and i have flatworms :(

fishdoc11
02/13/2004, 11:08 PM
Yellow boy,
Here are some prices;
green cap lg$20 sm$10
blonde digi $10
orange digi $15
elkhorn $10
blue tip $15
purple stag $15
MP blue $25
Hope that helps, Chris

A. Critter Killer
02/14/2004, 09:14 AM
Chris, let me know if you want to "trade/sell" any more blue tip loripes, purp. stag., or MP blue. ----Sean

P.S. the ORA list should be cummin' mon....hopefully I can secure you some tortuosa.

fishdoc11
02/14/2004, 09:48 AM
Don't worry Sean yall are allways on my "list".

EvilMel
02/14/2004, 09:55 AM
So I don't know that much about sps names.

Could someone translate all that for me so I can go look it up and see what each of these looks like?

hah hah.
Mel

fishdoc11
02/14/2004, 10:00 AM
EvilMel
If you pm me your email I can send you pics of any you want to see.
Chris

cee
02/14/2004, 11:19 AM
Chris:

Is your MP blue encrusting, plating, or branching? I might be interested...

Dave

fishdoc11
02/14/2004, 11:57 AM
Its branching. It's an Acro and I'm pretty sure it's a tort.

cee
02/14/2004, 12:31 PM
Chris:

I sent you a PM.

Dave

Pandarian
02/14/2004, 12:36 PM
Chris, Im definately interested in a sm green cap, orange digi, blue tip, and purple stag. I think I will also get a MP blue from you too. Do you know when you are gonna come up here? If not, then I make monthly trips to nashville anyway. So when ever is best for you. my girl friend is down there :o