PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp breeding?

Reefgeek911
02/01/2004, 11:56 PM
I currently have two cleaner shrimp carrying eggs, (yes i know that they can all or possibly all carry them), but watchign some of the "activities" of them (no i'm not a sicko!!!), i think that there might be a small chance of them breeding... I read up on a few different topics of this happening...and a few of them said that they change from the greenish color to a light amber color closer to hatchign time. I have noticed this on one of the shrimp....and was wondering if anybody has had them breed in their tanks....and what my chances are of this happening? They are currently in my 120 gallon tank...and was not sure if i let them be for now, remove them, or what i shoudl do should they even continue this activity and actually hatch. I did not know my odds.. Any suggestions???

thanks

Atticus
02/02/2004, 12:46 AM
Wihtout being educated in this area and unprepared you will have no chance at getting this hatch to survive. They can be demanding to raise and are usually better off left for tank food. If you have a pair of shrimp expect them to breed constantly.

lllosingit
02/02/2004, 02:35 AM
I agree with Atticus.
I have breeding Mantis and peppermint shrimp and had a breeding pair of Harlequins.
You can try to raise them but from everything I have read it's time consuming with very few if any survivors.
all the little babies are a great source of food for just about everything in the tank- corals/fish ect...

Paul B
02/02/2004, 08:04 AM
I paired up a pair of banded coral shrimp that spawned every five weeks or so for seven years. The babies always hatched but I never tried to raise them. They are not that small at birth compared to some other reef animals ans I think you may be able to raise them with rotifers as a first food although I have never heard of anyone raising them in a tank that does not mean it is impossable. If I still had them, every 5 weeks I would be trying something different to grow them.

Atticus
02/02/2004, 02:47 PM
I have read that they wil take rotifers and it is even posible to feed the bbs. Capturing the larva and creating a tumbler style rearing tank are more difficult and time consuming than it would be worth IMO.