PDA

View Full Version : anything compatable with a frogspawn?

TommyBoy
07/30/2001, 09:48 AM
Just added a frogspawn to my 14ga nano and was wondering is their any corals that is safe to put next to him with regards to stinging? hard to isolate sweeper corals like this in small places. thanks for any ideas???

kennerd
07/31/2001, 09:20 AM
hmmmm.. I've got what I considered a "tiny" frogspawn frag: skeleton the width of a pencil & an inch & a half long, but the polyps have extended to a ball about 2.5" in diameter. No real probl;ems with sweepers on this guy, but he did expand & drift onto a trumpet (candycane) coral & zapped it dead in a day...

I've have more trouble with sweepers on my hammer. Only popped 2 or 3 mushrooms, though.

Properly spaced, it shouldn't be too bad. Just put it in an isolated area & let it get comfy to see how large it gets before really cementing it down. That way you'll see how much room it really needs.

Somone correct me if I'm wrong, but these corals put out sweepers more often if unhappy with their surroundings ?! ie: sweepers clearing area for expansion & growth?

You may have gotten lucky & bought a well-mannered specimen. I have friends with frogspawn & hammers that NEVER send out sweepers. Check with the individual/LFS that you recieved it from.

Q-ball
07/31/2001, 09:47 AM
If they've got sweepers, then they're gonna sweep...it's part of their nature to continuously sweep to ensure they get their "fair" share of the room around them:) Given that, I'd make sure it gets 3-5" around it for now, and see how it does. I wouldn't put anything other than 'shrooms within 8" until you're sure how much reach it's got. HTH

Q!!!

lakerfan
07/31/2001, 01:46 PM
You may have some luck with another Euphylia species. I believe that they are immune to each other's sting. I had a Torch and a frogspawn touching each other for a while in my 10 w/ no problems at all. HTH