PDA

View Full Version : Hello my name is Rob and I'am new to RC

ReeF MoDe
02/01/2004, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm a beginner reef keeper (8 mos). I live in Riverside county. I'm a network technician. I don't really know what got me into this hobby. I did it mainly for my parents, because they have lots of parties and wanted something extra to entertain the guests. Little did I know this was going to be a full-time hobby. :eek: Nevertheless I can't help but learn more. It's brought me great insight into the world of marine life. I hope to pass this to my kids someday. Thank you.

Reef Tank Specifications

Equipment:

Tank – 48�x 20�x13� Clear for Life 55 gallon acrylic aquarium
Stand – Island Aquarium
Canopy – Unknown
Filtration – DLS overflow filter and in-sump micron filter bag
Skimmer – Aqua Clear model 75
Heater – VisiTherm 50 watt (in sump)
Lighting – 4x55 watt Power Compacts made by Hamilton Tech
Timers – General Electric digital timers. Actinic schedule: Noon - 10:00 PM. Daylight schedule: 1:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Water Movement – Red Sea Wavemaster Pro (ReeF MoDe)
Pump/Powerhead – 2 x Maxijet model 400 (located each side of the tank)

2 – Blue Green Chromis
2 – Ocellaris Clownfish
1 – Regal Tang
1 – Yellow Tang
1 – Skunk Cleaner shrimp
3 – Emerald crabs
15> assorted snails
25> assorted hermit crabs

1 – Kenya Tree
1 – Pink Leather Toady
1 – Green Fluorescent mushroom
1 – Striped mushroom
1 – Green Hammer
1 – Brain
1 – Yellow Finger Gorgonian

2� Live sand bed
Approx. 40 lbs Live Fiji Premium rock (I know I need more)

ReeF MoDe
02/01/2004, 02:25 PM
Just a few pics of the tank.

ReeF MoDe
02/01/2004, 02:41 PM
Lemme try again.

ReeF MoDe
02/01/2004, 02:42 PM
Full tank shot, sorry for flash.

ReeF MoDe
02/01/2004, 02:43 PM
Close Up

thetedinator
Welcome to RC.

Ted

ReeF MoDe
My favorite, pink toady

Konadog
02/01/2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ReeF MoDe
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm a beginner reef keeper (8 mos). I live in Riverside county. I'm a network technician. I don't really know what got me into this hobby.

ReeF MoDe
[welcome]

If you can find the time, you should also look into joining MASLAC or SCMAS. You will learn much more at meetings and club events!

David P
02/01/2004, 10:59 PM
Yes you would learn much more and have fun at the meetings, but youll meet people who like movies that say "Ecky-ecky...pikang-zoop....

Welcome and nice looking tank, at first I thought "wow what size is that tank?" due to the tiny yellow tang.

ReeF MoDe
02/02/2004, 02:18 AM
Yes I'm highly interested in joining an aquarist club. Are both (MASLAC and SCMAS) the same or do they operate differently? I want to meet new reefers and take a look at different set-ups, maybe swap a frag or two.

Are any of you guys a member of these clubs?

nanocat
02/02/2004, 02:39 AM
Nice tank !

I like that pink toadstool too, very neat.

Konadog
02/02/2004, 09:08 AM
Yes I'm highly interested in joining an aquarist club. Are both (MASLAC and SCMAS) the same or do they operate differently? I want to meet new reefers and take a look at different set-ups, maybe swap a frag or two.

Here are the web links for MASLAC (http://www.maslac.org/) and SCMAS (http://www.scmas.com/) and yes, they operate as separate clubs but do share some events. Also some people within the club have frag swaps that aren't club events.
And finally, YES, I am a member of MASLAC. Our meetings are on the second Saturday of the month except this month (Look here for details) (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307481) . It has been moved to Friday because of Valentines Day. Hope to see you soon.

Old Yeller Tang
02/02/2004, 02:15 PM

I was a member of MASLAC but will now be a SCMAS member since it's closer and on Friday nights. Just can't do the Saturday thing. You mentioned your in Riverside County, so SCMAS may be better for you as well. Both are great clubs! Too bad we don't have a well organized club like these in the Inland Empire.:(

ReeF MoDe
02/02/2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I'am sure I will go where it suits me best.

BTW your reef is awesome. Do you do tank tours? lol j/k.

Do you attribute the success of your tank more to the lighting or to the filtration system? I'm only using PC's for now and I don't have a refugium. I wish I had both, but not the funds to do it now.

Old Yeller Tang
02/02/2004, 11:04 PM
Reef MoDe,

I run a simple setup and your more than welcome to stop by and take a look. I have a lot of DIY's with my setup. Nothing fancy like you see with more advanced reefers but if it ain't broke, I won't fix it!:D

Roland

OUinLA
02/07/2004, 11:59 PM
Roland's leaving maslac? You traitor. You should also check out the other board (scmas) http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=1000&forumid=50