PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best SPS Color Change You've Seen?

algaeguy
02/01/2004, 01:13 AM
Hey everyone:

I've finally started to see some color chnages in some of my colonies and frags. The most interesting changes that I have seen (under 20000k D/E's) so far are in a brown A. humilis colony that we fragged into several smaller peices, and distributed in several locations in my tank.

After a few months under the 20ks, they are taking on an almost bluish appearance. Neat to watch, and I suppose a sign of a healthy coral?

I have a few other formerly brown pieces that are starting to get some cool colors now, specifically turquioses and purples; not super bright, but interesting nonetheless...

Any success stories, and pictures would be totally cool!

Scott

David P
02/01/2004, 11:07 AM
Scott, are you running the Helios? I have a frag of somethig (Im not even sure where I got it) that was brown under 12K lights for a few months. I switched to the "ultra blues" and the tips are turning light blue, the rest of it is turning iradescent. Im not sure if it will be green,blue, or purple.

algaeguy
02/01/2004, 11:19 AM
Yep- I am....Interesting bulbs!

Interesting color changes, mostly in the blues and pastel colored purples.

Like, you I am seeing some bluish growth tips on some corals...Kinda cool!

Scott F.

David P
02/01/2004, 11:58 AM
Scott, great interests! that is good for a laugh.

algaeguy
02/01/2004, 02:07 PM
Yep- the "ungluing my fingers" seems to be a regular occurance these days!

Dave told me once that you can tell-a hard-core SPS nerd by the absence of fingerprints! I'm starting to agree! LOL

Scott F.

Rabbit
02/26/2004, 07:46 PM
Hmm, well I can think of two:

One, a 'paper bag brown' coral (montipora I think) from a friends tank, took on a green sceen with green polyps. (It also grew out of the water - I think it was happy in my tank.)

And another, I can't remember what it was when I got it color, took on a deep violet with bright green polyps. (I will forever hate the crab that nocked it off and killed it.)

I got the best color from my corals out of one of those 'awful' yellow 10K lights.

Funny,

David Roman