PDA

View Full Version : "yellow" trachyphyllia

niko5
01/31/2004, 10:56 AM
Hello, I found a very nice looking Yellow Trachyphyllia at my LFS and after some searching on the web I found your article at http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acclimcoralslight.htm that says most Yellow Trachyphyllia are stressed green brains... My question is... I know the LFS got that coral in the state that is was in... Is there a way to tell if it is a rare coral rather than a stressed coral? And if it is stressed and I purchase it what are the chances of it recovering?

Thank You

Anthony Calfo
01/31/2004, 02:44 PM
there is no such thing as a yellow Trachyphyllia my friend... at least not a healthy one. If this one is being offered as "rare", I'm dissappointed. It peeves me to see wholesalers and some dealers exploit stressed and dying animals in such manner.

I believe that your LFS did receive their specimen in that condition. Some animals simply do arrive in such condition from the rigors of import.

It can easily be saved since it will eat organismally in the meantime. In fact, a healthy Trachyphyllia still needs fed weekly as zooxanthellae alone cannot sustain this coral.

Offer fine/minced meaty foods of marine origin (1/4 bits or smaller... never bigger) 3-5 times weekly. It will take at least 4-6 months to recover.

Best regards,

Anthony