PDA

View Full Version : green brittle star

EvilMel
01/30/2004, 10:33 AM
Anyone want a green brittle star?

This guy has never bothered any of my corals, the problem with them is that they will eat small fish. Since I am about to order 8 tiny fish, I just don't feel comfortable keeping him.

He's not too big right now. I can always go give him to the LFS, but I thought I would see if I can find him a good home from someone I know first.

Mel
ps if you haven't heard about these read up first because some people have problems with them (I personally haven't had any problems with this one).

stevensmd
02/01/2004, 10:08 PM
I have one too, if someone would like to have it...

EvilMel
02/01/2004, 10:25 PM
Well I guess it is off to the Coral Reef for mine.

No one wants any green brittle stars???

For free!

Joe said it's not normally a problem unless you have small fish (like I am ordering), right Joe?

imsqueak
02/01/2004, 10:44 PM
Mel, Dave,

I'm planning to do my 55 with fowlr so my flame angel has a home. If you can wait a month, I'll take him. There are so many fish you cant have with coral I decided to have my 55 set up to get some of the cool fish I cant have with corals. It WILL have DSB.

Sir Knight
02/01/2004, 11:23 PM
Mel, yes, the green brittle stars are known to eat small fish. I found out the hard way.

Don,
Do some research with DSB's and the fish you are planning to keep in your 55. I wouldn't use a DSB with that size tank. It may cause more problems, then add any real benefit to the overall system. There isn't enough room for any real bed.
I would use a 2" to 3" layer of sand for fish that need a sand bed.
Just my opinion

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 07:43 AM
yeah I heard about the possibility of a DSB crashing.

Don this guy doesn't eat corals. I have tons of them and no one is eating anything. Except my zenia (which was happening before I put him in the tank). Plus I know where he is every day. You can totally see him perching to catch fish, but he never gets on corals.

So if you want him, I wouldn't let that stop me. He's going to the Coral Reef tomorrow.

Mel

imsqueak
02/02/2004, 07:03 PM
Off he goes. I dont want him catching any of my fishies either. I never knew they did that.

DSB crash is unavoidable if it's not replaced over time (from what I've read). I dont want to get into DSB/non-DSB heated conversations here, there are plenty on RC if anyone is interested in that. I just personally believe the logic that if it's collecting and processing as designed it will meet it's max capicity and "crash". Again, unless it's partially removed and replaced. For that reason, I'm considering BB or just 1" or so on the 55. I've already decided on the 300 BB because I'm not going to maintain a couple hundred pounds of LS so why kid myself. I may put a small and shallow tray of sand somewhere in the 300 to give those that need it a place to go burry themself or whatever.

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 07:14 PM
Hey Don, actually my friend Matt (he won the nano tank at our last meeting) says he wants him. So that's cool.

I saw you posted here (not having seen the message) and I was afraid you would say you wanted him too. hah hah.

So all is well. I am glad to be sending him to another good home.

On the DSB subject, if you are going to order some substrate will you let me know so I can order some with you?

I want some kind of aragnoite that is not as small as sand but closer in the size to sand than crushed coral, kinda like what I have in my calcium reactor (I am sure Joe will know what it is called).

Sir Knight
02/02/2004, 07:32 PM
Mel,
I call it stuff:).
Just fooling around.

The media you have in your reactor is CaribSea A.R.M. it has a grain size of 2 to 3mm.

CaribSea Coralite Bermuda Pink Reef Sand is 2 to 4 mm which is close

Hope this helps

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 09:52 PM
Yes it does,
thanks alot.

SITNLOWDOWN
02/02/2004, 10:50 PM
hey wait wait I wont them both will they eat my D@$# damsels lol ill take them they killed my 2 year old fire fish now i wont revenge lol

EvilMel
02/02/2004, 11:13 PM
Ask Dave, he might give you his.

Mine is spoken for already.

What about it Dave?

Mel
ps or did you decide to keep it after all?

stevensmd
02/03/2004, 08:17 AM
just let me know if you want it and it's gone.
dave