PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Pair Orange Skunk Clown?

Teri
07/28/2001, 08:10 AM
Hi,
I have an Orange Skunk Clown(Amphiprion akallopisos) that I have had for about 9 months. He has taken up residence in a forest of Xenia. Anyway he was a solo fish in a 10g Nano...he has since been upgraded to his own private 30:) I am interested in finding a mate for him. I say him because he is REALLY tiny(<2")! Would it be advisible to purchase one smaller or bigger? Are these Clowns happier in pairs like my Percs? Thanks for any suggestions:)

Teri

percula
07/29/2001, 10:13 PM
Buy smaller. Is your clown a bachelor for life, or does he or should I say she want a mate? That is the question...

Callie
07/30/2001, 01:40 AM
I had a single male pink skunk clown. When I decided to get another I just looked for one of different size. I finally found one, it was a female (about twice the size of the male). They made friends right away and where spawning within 1 month. There are some pics HERE (http://www.users.qwest.net/~mkm4/clowns.htm) .

If Orange skunks are anything like my pink skunks (A. perideraion) you shouldn't have any problems, they aren't too aggressive. Mine share the tank with a pair of false perculas, and other than an occasional display they get along fine.

Kathy

Teri
07/30/2001, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :) I went ahead and got one of the smaller ones they had quarentined for me up the street. It was like love at first sight :)Within 45 minutes of "dating"the new Clown has moved in the Xenia with my older one!

In nine months this fish has never ventured very far from his Xenia homebase. He spent the entire day yesterday swimming and playing with the new clown. I just love the way their personalities really come out when they find a "friend". I remember my Perc was the same way...a whole new personality after I bought her a little one :)

Peace...