PDA

View Full Version : Picture of 120

Reefgeek911
01/28/2004, 10:55 PM
gonna finally put up a pic of my reef..hoping it came out ok... It's still a "work in progress", as it is very very young (between the tank it was in and the tank it's in now only 9 months, this one being up since november i beileve)

waverz
01/29/2004, 12:34 AM
Reefgeek, thats pretty tank you got there. Can ya tell us a little more about it?

dellrio
01/29/2004, 01:09 AM
wonderful tank! can we get some close up shots? do u have a webpage or anything?

Reefgeek911
01/29/2004, 01:33 PM
Hey.. thanks guys... The tank is a 120 gallon All Glass Aquarium, and is not reef ready (i am very un-impressed witht he quality of RR aquariums int he past, therefore decided for a hang on back overflow...plus personally i feel it gives better ways to aquascape the rock). It has a 40 gallon tenecor sump underneath it, minus the bio balls, and a aquamedic turboflotor 1000 skimmer runnign on it. There is also a aquamedic mini de-nitrator on it as well, kind of a "test" thing, to see how they work.... Above it are two 175w Ushio 10k MH with 2 110w VHO supplements (previously coralife bulbs but back to the much much MUCH better URI bulbs). I started the aquarium with 2 175w 10k blueline bulbs on it, and was very impressed witht eh coloration fo the corals, but not impressed witht he quality of the bulb (they both blew out, one after 2 months, one after 3 months). I will be putting 2 175w XM's on it in the near future i believe (when i get some $$$$). There is approxmimately 300 lbs of fiji and florida aquacultured LR in there (packed nice and tight), and 200 lbs of reef sand (didn't like the DSB in my old tank, so went a little bit bigger grain this time). Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test 0, p.h. is 8.3, and alkalinity is at 9.8. Temp is in the low 70's (i prefer lower temp, less algae, and my experience has shown better coloration/coral growth in lower temperatures......some disagree). I use all rio pumps for circulation, return, basically everything, and after 6 years i still have the original pumps. Yet to have a problemw ith a single one... Some people with to smack me for that one...but never seen aproblem with them in any of my tanks. There are around 15-20 different acropora/millipora specimens in there, along with 4 different montipora capricornis, 5 or 6 montipora digitata, various other sps, and a few lps/softies/zoanthids. Unforutnately there are also quite a bit of these *#(&&# purple mushrooms that just will NOT DIE!!! They have yet to bother anything so far except for my nice brightr green pavona..which has since been relocated....but still worrieed tey will continue to overgrow the tank. I think besides the acroporas, or other sps in there my favorite coral would have to be a nice bright pink brain that has been added since the pics. I will be downsizing a few of my pics and adding them in sometimet oday..hopefully. thanks for the interest!!!!