PDA

View Full Version : "Weeding" Mushrooms

Reefgeek911
01/28/2004, 10:20 PM
Looking for good hints/ways to get rid of mushrooms out of my tank??? I have a 120 mainly sps tank, and when i set it up two pieces of L/R had 3 purple mushrooms on it. That was in November. Now, there are 47 (yes i have no life and counted them). UNFORTUNATELY they are on certain rock(s) that are quite large and a huge part of the structure...where some of my acros and monti's have grown attach, so removal of the rock won't be so easy. Any ideas?? I have cut some of them off...but apparently not quite low enough on the stalk as they grow back. Am i just $*(*&T^ and will have to kill them off w/kalk paste, or are there any other tricks known to get them unmounted, and off of the rock. I dont' want to kill them (but will if have to..???), as they are beautiful color, and have an awesome pattern to them (almost look 3D witht he pattern), so not sure what i need to do??? Any suggestions are welcome.

flyj3
01/28/2004, 10:24 PM
After you cut them, Put sps right next to them, They become enemies quickly.

HOC
01/29/2004, 12:26 AM
Fry 'em with 400 watt halides.:D Keep SPS on top, mushrooms on bottom. Shrooms will "run" from the light. Probably an expensive option now that I think about it:)

KelKoolaid
01/29/2004, 12:49 AM
you could bring some to the meeting to sell as frags. Or save them and mount them for the upcoming frag auction. I need some for my 75.

dellrio
01/29/2004, 11:53 AM
i suppose if its possible u should take the rock out of the water and chisle the shrooms off...

Atticus
01/29/2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by HOC
Fry 'em with 400 watt halides.:D Keep SPS on top, mushrooms on bottom. Shrooms will "run" from the light. Probably an expensive option now that I think about it:)
This is funny, because its true.... :D I saw what used to be a red shroom in Chris's tank awhile back and it was shrunk to the size of a pencil eraser and was an insane bright pink. Poor thing was baking in there.
Seriously though: I suggest fragging them off the rocks and kalk pasting the stem. I have done this in the past with great success. Frilly shrooms are easier as they will grab the Kalk paste and eat it. The smooth disc shrooms need to be cut and the top then can be mounted and traded.