PDA

View Full Version : Crash!

kevlouie
01/28/2004, 10:09 AM
Dang it, it happened to me. All fish dead. All snails dead. All shrimp/crabs/pods dead. Half the corals dead. Worms are even dieing. Parameters tested frequently, nothing is out of whack. I have no idea what has happened. I added some live rock before it started, but never did I test anything weird. I have a 3.5 inch ooloitic sand bed. I added a frag which had a little hair algae which I thought I got off, but since hair algae nearly took over the tank, apparently not. I also have been growing some calurepa in my refugium, but I don't think it went sexual since I'm running 24/7 lights. :(

In short, my theory is the live rock or algae bloom killed some stuff. WHich fueled more algae, or possible robbed oxygen which killed more stuff. I had a lot of florida rock in there which is (was) crawling with critters and this may have not helped. At this point a cascading crash involving the sand bed and loads of life in it was underway and to some extent still is as I am still getting some hair algae and coral deaths. I still have 4-5 nice coral colonies but I don't know how long they will last. I wish I had some way to isolate them til I can remove the sandbed or isolate live rock(I guess) and get my system back under control. I'm sorta at my wits end, especially since I am not really sure what caused this. I know some of you will say it was the live rock, but I really don't think so, I'm more leaning towards the algae, but who knows. Maybe it was one of those rumored sand bed crashes?

Regardless I'm not quitting but its very frustrating right now. Especially since I am forced to watch stuff continue to die.

Kev

aquaman67
01/28/2004, 10:54 AM
Wow,

Very, very sorry to hear about your loss. Man, that sucks to say the least.

I won't give any advise on what happened because I have none. All I will say is keep your chin up and try to get through this one day at a time.

Again, so sorry to hear about your loss....

Take care.

kevlouie
01/28/2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks, it sucks to not know more thant anything, because I have no way of not duplicating it for sure. I can get rid of the sandbed, never add anymore rock, add more flow but still not be sure what happened. Oh well back to the drawing board.

fishdoc11
01/28/2004, 07:18 PM
Do you have anything in the tank that could have died and emmited a toxin? Well that's a stupid question, we all do but any thing like cucumbers, zenia etc.. that are known to do that and cause tank wipeouts? Did your powerheads suck anything up and kill it? I guess you also know that deep sand beds have a life of about 5 yrs before (theoretically) you're supposed to completely change them out, assuming you don't have a plenum. I am very sorry, that sucks is an understatement. I hope you figure whatever it is/was out. I'm also guessing you're running ALOT of carbon and chemi pure or something similar might help. Good luck and let us know if we can help.
Chris

rcmike
01/28/2004, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear about that Kevin. I had something similar happen last year when I got a bad bucket of Instant Ocean. Luckily I was able to save most of the corals but most of the other inverts died. You didn't happen to just do a water change with a new bucket of salt did you? I checked everything I could think of and nothing was out of the ordinary. I didn't think to check the alkalinity but I have read that some other people were having similar problems and the alkalinity was way high.

adshuraj777
01/28/2004, 09:35 PM
sorry man...

A. Critter Killer
01/28/2004, 11:27 PM
You don't happen to run 'Rio' powerheads, do you?

Oldschooler
01/29/2004, 08:17 AM
Sean asks about the Rio phs because they've been implicated in "crashes" before. Apparently, they leak [oil?] or *something* weird into tanks.

And you DO have a place to "isolate" stuff, if you need... All you have to do is ask! ;)

Sorry for your loss. I've been there- be it with fish, inverts, reptiles, etc.- MANY times. It's never "okay".

kevlouie
01/29/2004, 09:34 AM
guessing you're running ALOT of carbon and chemi pure or something similar might help

I ran carbon, phos ban, and have been doing twice weekly 15% water changes. I have been pulling as much of the dead stuff, a lot of those turkey wing clams, snails, the fish as I could get with out stiring everyhting else up. yes actually I do run some rio pumps. Gosh I hope that wasn't it. I haven't seen any oil, but you know it wouldn't take much I guess. I will probably replace the 2 pumps asap. Mike you may very well be right about a pH/alkalinity spike. I have just been using the Kents salt, it was cheap, mayube I should switch to something else. pH has always been around 8.2-8.4, depending on time of day. The sand bed was only up for a year, but I fed heavily? It seemed like certain types of critters went first, then another genus, and now finally the worms and corals.

Roberto, you're right it makes me sick to fail like this, but I'm no quitter. I just want to know what I did wrong. Man it would be awesome if I could get you to babysit some of my corals, but I'm afraid to ask because I don't know how long it will take to get stuff back to normal. I'm also afraid the hair algae could infect your system(s). I'll let you decide, and thanks everybody so much for helping. I would be very happy to use these corals as tests for fragging for the club. Right now I have a really nice Ivory coral, (oculina robusta) thats still hangin on, a large (proto?) palythoa, big GSP that hasn't come out in about 4 days, Xenia, and some sick Montiporas and a coupla others barely hangin on.

Gotta go survey and do some H20 sampling, be back this afternoon.

rcmike
01/29/2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I would check those pumps also. I had one of those problems a couple of years ago. I reached in to pick up a coral that had fallen and I got a nice jolt. Not a good feeling when you are up to your armpit in the tank. The pump had a nice crack in the case and smelled like an electrical fire. I did a massive water change and lucked out with just a major algae bloom. The funny thing was I read about the rio problems about a week before. I was going to replace them but figured they lasted about 5 years and they would last a little longer until I could replace them.

I guess you could have had something dead in the live rock that would have poluted the tank. I hope you find out what happened. That kind of stuff can be frustrating.

reewik
01/29/2004, 09:55 PM
Really sorry to hear that Kevin. My Rio 1700 burned up after I first set the tank up. I was greatful this happened early on.

Oldschooler
01/29/2004, 11:15 PM
First of all, Kev, YOU didn't "fail". The SYSTEM failed. We are not God, and only God, Allah, The Grand Architect, or whomever you believe in can be in TOTAL control of any system this complex. All we can do is try to maintain it. :)

And, frankly, if you'd like to do it, we'd LIKE to try to help IF you don't mind it. I guess the first thing is to disinfect them, then we can "starve" them for a day or so in a clean but not over-fed tank, and then try to feed them different foods. I'm thinking our 40-gal. anemone tank (which currently only has one ritteri, one carpet, and four "flower" anemones) would be PERFECT for recouperating your guys. Whaddaya think???

rcmike
01/30/2004, 08:47 AM
I agree, you didn't fail. Stuff like this can happen to anyone. I have had my share of problems and almost gave up a few times. What kind of filtration do you have on the tank?

Where did you find that ivory coral? I had to look it up to find out what it was.

If you need me to watch anything, just let me know.

kevlouie
01/30/2004, 09:12 AM
Whaddaya think???

Thanks guys. That would be awesome. I will try and get by this weekend with everything thats still hanging on. I've got a construction project at the house, but I will get free at some point. I think I have decided to pull most of the DSB (leave some sand in a refugium) and place a small acrylic container in one corner with 4 inches of sand so the worms/pods/critters will still find some good habitat, but after all the hair algae that growing on the sand there must be some nutrients leaching out of the bed. THe algae seems to be coming off in clumps rather than growing profusley now, but I have already cut back on feeding quite a bit, especially since theres little to feed. Continue to add coral food. Skimmers been going nuts the last coupola days too.

I have a overflow that runs to a homemade bio tower of live rock rubble, it flows out the bottom of this into the sump. I have a pump that feeds from this into a 20 gallon refugium with chaetomorpha and grape caulerpa and more rubble on the bottom of this, which dumps back into the sump. Skimmer is a modifed red sea berlin classic. I have been running skimmer since a skilter was "state of the art". Red seas are ok but I really want a Euroreef. My return pump is and Iwaki external.

Mike I got the Oculina from Gulfview, it is aquacultured on a piece of AQ live rock, its the only SPS they can get legally. Its extremely hardy, but seems to get a few dead spots. The chromis I used to have would dart amoung the branches to hide.

kevlouie
02/01/2004, 09:01 AM
Mucho thanks to Sean and Roberto maybe at least a few corals will come back around. I owe you guys. After reading the algae book some, I'd guess it was toxic dinos, diatoms, maybe cyano. The snails ate some which killed them and fueled more growth, etc. etc. Now the question is how to prevent this from happening again.

wooglin
02/02/2004, 06:37 PM
I cant believe it was the algea. Are you sure about that? I am much more likely to belive it was the Rio pumps. They have destroyed alot of systems. There is a thread with 100's of posts about total system crashes from the dreaded RIO.

kevlouie
02/02/2004, 08:49 PM
the dreaded RIO .

I know they are kinda cheaply made, I have had them die on me, but always just sieze up (no oil got released). Including the one in the tank now. I know beyond a doubt it was not the Rio. I have since removed it but it to reduce flow. I once had a rio 600 go almost 10 years. you get crappy ones with anything. I don't recommend rios, but they are cheap

Algae? maybe. some sort of dinoflagelate, diatom or hair algae. all have toxic variants, and when a snail eats it falls over and dies after eating it, that describes what happened to mine and what happens to eaters of those things, ???

I had a lot of clams and snails I didn't even know about that died and maybe released some kind of toxin too, all cleaned out now, back on the right track I hope

rcmike
02/02/2004, 09:03 PM
What kind of filtration do you have on the tank?

fishdoc11
02/02/2004, 10:01 PM
It's listed above mike.

rcmike
02/02/2004, 10:08 PM
Ha, I even asked the question already. DUH!

Oldschooler
02/02/2004, 10:24 PM
I think everyone here knows by now that I am NOT a reef guru, so I'm certainly NOT of any opinion, one way or another. And if I was, you would be wise to ignore it. However, as I was speaking with Wooglin tonight about this situation of KevLouie's (and as he was speaking of his belief that it was the Rio that was the culprit), I thought I should say that I am in agreement with KevLouie that it *could* just as easily be a toxin (God, I HATE that word- it's so over-used both in human health as well as aquaria health) from algae.

As I am perpetually un-prepared to bolster my arguments, I do not have the article at my fingertips, but I first learned of algae being poisonous, or toxic, about three years or so ago upon reading Reptiles magazine. Apparently, some long-running alligator farm in Florida was having MANY mysterious die-offs of some of their "healthiest" animals. They tested for all the usual suspects (i.e: West Nile, Salmonella, etc.). They continued to come up "negative" on EVERYTHING. While I forget HOW they finally came up with it, someone nevertheless ran several tests on the water in the farm and found the higher-than-previously-normal levels of a particular algae were in fact producing lethal toxins that the animals would ingest upon drinking and feeding. Prior to this, I had never heard of such, other than the well-known fact that high levels of various algae result in low dissolved oxygen (or, in the reef, low "redox" potential).

While I lent Kev Sprung's book on algae to lend support to the idea (hey, it never hurts to have Sprung on your side of an argument, does it?), and while I subscribe to the belief that it *is* possible, I also see the points of the rest of you. I think it could be one- or a combination- of NUMEROUS things. I think it would be nice if we could all KNOW what happened- as Kev said, so it can be avoided in the future- ultimately, we'll NEVER "know". We can only guess.

All I "know" is, when I worked for my PREVIOUS employer, Rios were anything but "cheap"! LOL And yet, within months of their market debut, I was hearing tales of their complicity in various mishaps.

*shrugs shoulders*

~Roberto

fishdoc11
02/02/2004, 11:57 PM
The only other thing I can think of from what you said Kevlouie is your Xenia. I might have mentioned this before but I think it was Randy Donowitz that had a partial tank wipeout he caught pretty quick ( thus a partial wipeout ). He attributed it to his Xenia dying off. Apparently Xenia gets to a ceartain point growth wise and then sometimes it crashes. It has something to do with that type not getting pruned. If you think that may be it I can find the article. Again that really sucks but I'm glad you've got a handle on it now.

wooglin
02/03/2004, 12:31 AM
I am still skeptical of the Rio. There is a huge thread somewhere here on ReefCentral, with tons of people that lost entire tanks just after a rio locked up. Dunno if yours locked up before the crash or not, but there is somthing toxic in them. I have a little rio on my refugium that I really need to replace.

kevlouie
02/03/2004, 12:04 PM
with tons of people that lost entire tanks just after a rio locked up.

you are abolutely right. I think all the cases that nuked the tank (that I could find) there was a corresponding stench that accompanied the pump frying and a release of oil into the tank. Believe me if oil goes into the tank, you will know. The possibility exists of course, but its about 7th or 8th on my list of possibilities. The algae has finally started to quit, I noticed there were portions of the tank that were stagnant from low flow, (way down deep in the live rock) and had all kinds of detritus that may have been releasing PO4 back into the tank too, that may be what did it. Algae takes up the PO4 so it remains nearly undetectable, but I've never heard of PO4 killing snails and fish, which is how it all started. Give me a week and I'll hopefully be getting better.

Oldschooler
02/04/2004, 07:47 AM
Babysitting some corals for Kev... One of my suppliers walks in, I'm showing him what has come in from other dealers, and I'm like, "this isn't ours, we're just watching it for someone..."

He goes berserk. His eyes are HUGE and he says (about the Pearl we're sitting for KevLouie): "Oh, my GOD. Tell him if he wants to sell it I want it! I'd LOVE to frag that!"

So, I'm passing it along. Dude wants your coral BAD, Kev. Personally, I'd hang on to it, or frag it YOURSELF, but you have an offer if you want it. Just being a messenger. LOL

~Roberto

kevlouie
02/04/2004, 09:09 AM
Sweet, glad to hear I have something someone would want to swap for, your talking about the ivory? Will stop by today either after work or at lunch. After reading some of that book I'm buying it. I highly recommend that to everyone not an old pro, and even if you are. Sprung's Algae book.

m1a1fan
02/04/2004, 08:02 PM
Hi guys,

I'm not aware of Rio using any type of "oil" in any of their pumps. Most submersible pumps just have a coil (like a transformer) that drives that little magnetic impeller in the motor housing. Solenoids operate on a similar principle.

All motors have insulation on the windings. The "oil" that you are seeing, may be appearing on the case of the motor and most likely brown or black in color. Also, submersible motors that are used in aquariums are "potted" which means that the motor is sealed with an epoxy type resin to keep the motor windings from coming into contact with water.

It is one of these two components that you are likely seeing "leaking" from the pump. One post had mentioned that the case of the motor had actually cracked. The cracked case alone may not have been the culprit that led to a nasty jolt upon reaching into the aquarium. The resin that seals the windings of the motor must have developed a small crack and exposed the windings leading to the tank becoming hot (live).

Just remember that if a pump (protein skimmer or power head) was to stall, it will get a lot warmer than it would under normal operating conditions and raises the possibility that something could go wrong. This is why it is essential that we keep our equipment clean. Yes I know; it’s a dirty task to pull everything apart for cleaning, but your equipment will love you for it. Also remember that we are taking electricity and not only placing it into an extremely good conductor (saltwater), but also a very corrosive environment.

rcmike
02/04/2004, 09:55 PM
Hey, who am I to argue with someone who works at Underwriters Laboratories? Actually I don't know what leaked out into the tank. I wish I had saved the pump and took it apart to see exactly what was in it. I got rid of it pretty quickly though because it was pretty stinky. I soon put a GFCI on the tank so at least maybe I won't get electrocuted as bad if something like that happens again. I know I won't get any more Rio pumps though, I have heard too many horror stories. Other pumps go out, but when a Rio goes out it often takes the tank with it.

rcmike
02/04/2004, 10:13 PM
Kevin, if you ever decide to frag that ivory coral I would be interested in trading something for a piece. I have never seen one of those.

fishdoc11
02/04/2004, 10:24 PM
One word, Maxi-jet, all you need to know. Actually Hagen makes a great powerhead too. Thanks Ryan for the info.
Chris

Oldschooler
02/04/2004, 10:45 PM
*bows down to Ryan and says "we're not worthy!"*

Thanks, Ryan, for educating us!

m1a1fan
02/04/2004, 11:58 PM
Hey everybody,

It's also extremely important that we use GFI (aka GFCI or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets on our main power to our aquariums. These inexpensive devices may very well save your life if you reach into a tank that has become "hot" due to a faulty heater or pump.

Those who have newer houses may see GFCI's installed in their bathrooms, kitchens, and on the exterior of the house as well. They can also be purchased and installed directly into a service panel. Obviously, ALL of these hookups should be done by a qualified electrician.

Follow this link to find out more about how GFCI's work http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

Here is a link to UL's website.
www.ul.com

And lastly, a link from Howstuffworks.com on how UL works.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question218.htm

It's also important that we look for the UL mark on all of the products we purchase for our aquariums. Can't find the UL mark on a product you want to purchase? Email the manufacturer of the product and ask for the UL mark. If more people ask, more products will get listed.

fishdoc11
02/05/2004, 06:57 AM
A cool thing about gfi's is that if you install one in a line it will protect all the outlets after it in that run.

rcmike
02/05/2004, 09:03 AM
I agree with the GFCI. It has saved me once for sure. While I was working on the tank I bumped a JBJ light fixture with those brittle plastic stands they have on it. One of the stands broke and for some dumb reason I tried to catch it by sticking my hand in the tank. The GFCI tripped as soon as it hit the water. If I didn't have the GFCI it could have been nasty!

Speaking of UL marks, I looked on a small Rio pump I still have and couldn't find it. I think I remember someone saying in a previous thread somewhere that they weren't UL listed.

m1a1fan
02/05/2004, 09:55 AM
rcmike-

Rio does have a UL listed line of pumps, however, not all of the models are listed. You can find a few of the listed models at Marine Depot through this link.
http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ph_rio.asp?CartId=

rcmike
02/05/2004, 10:06 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I can't remember what model mine was but I think it had a 2 prong plug. I remember thinking that was strange for an aquarium pump.

coralreefing
02/05/2004, 10:59 AM
I have to agree with fishdoc11 on the Maxi-jets. I bought a pair of MJ750s about 13-14 years ago for a SWFO tank. The tank is now on it's 3rd owner but the MJ's are still going strong.
Chris

kevlouie
02/05/2004, 10:51 PM
Ryan, thanks for the heads up on the Rios. Maxi jets are very very reliable pumps. Funky shaped too though. RIo 600s are good from my experience, and i have a 3100 thats been running for years no prob. 2100s gives me da troubles.

Michael when I frag the ivory, you'll get one.

Really cleaneed it out, but there isn't much alive above worms right now, if that, I will probably have to add some live sand or rock.

A. Critter Killer
02/07/2004, 11:23 PM
Hey Kev, The corals that you brought in are looking great again! They are all out and happy. The only exception is, of course those (Montipora capricornis) pieces. If you would like I can frag off the good parts from the dead skeleton. All of the corals have been dipped multiple times in Seachem's coral disinfectant solution, and the algae is pretty much gone. When ever your tank is once again ready, so are they. But don't get in a hurry, they will be there when you are ready for them. ----Sean

Oldschooler
02/07/2004, 11:26 PM
Hey, KevLouie, you didn't by any chance pick up your ivory coral, did you? I asked Sean about it and he said he didn't do anything with it, but it's gone from the front tank, nonetheless. I'm sorry, man. Naw, I'm just kidding! Take a breath! LOL Just testin' your reflexes!!!

~Roberto

kevlouie
02/09/2004, 09:11 AM
Bastidges! Nah, you guys are life savers, literally! I'm still getting some algae bloom action, although it is down dramatically. Got 2/3 of my siding on the addition this weekend too. Next weekend the rest and the deck, then the sheetrock and I'm done (until I buy the hottub). Anyway I digress, The chaetomorpha is growing like crazy, but that is the only thing alive I can find. I need to re-seed the sandbed in about a week, maybe by buying a piece of live rock and some (really) live sand.

A. Critter Killer
02/09/2004, 10:44 PM
I can get it straight from the beach, just let me know. ----Sean

kevlouie
02/16/2004, 02:59 PM
Allright algae is firing up again, got advised to switch off of the kent salt and do 100% water change, we'll try that and see what happens.

kevlouie
02/19/2004, 10:35 AM
Did a major water change and found out my little 20-25% water changes just weren't cuttin the mustard. The more water I took out, the nastier the water got. I always thought the 1st gallon should be a bad as the last, but I was wrong. I need to go buy some more salt now too.

gflat65
02/20/2004, 11:58 PM
kevlouie
I read some of the description of your crash and thougth I saw somewhere that you had had some work done inside your home. I didn't see it when I looked back over things, but if the work being done was in the general area of the tank, you might have gotten something airborne in the tank. I've read before about paint fumes reeking havoc. Just a thought. Glad to hear that everything is turning around.

fishdoc11
02/21/2004, 09:58 AM
Harker has a series of good articles on heavy metal poisoning in reef tanks. He basically blows the lid off Shimeck's scientific method in his articles on the same subject. Anyway, he says some old well established tanks just crash and we may never know the reason why. The 3 articles are in Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine. Very good magazine.
Chris

kevlouie
02/23/2004, 09:05 AM
Heavy metal poisoning...hmmm. That could be a part of it, or even the root cause for all I know. It could be that I would never have gotten a dino/diatom/hair bloom if stuff would never have started dying due to metals. I haven't painted anything yet, and the addition is still pretty much outside the loop, as far as HVAC is concerned, but heck anything is possible.

I did yank 60-70% of my sand bed and have decided to vacuum the remaining sand periodically. The sand was soooo nasty, its smelled horrible, and parts of it were hard. I did another water change too. But the sand you guys brought me went into the refugium which seems to be in better shape. Thanks everyone.

Oldschooler
02/23/2004, 10:25 PM
You know, Kev, not to wax philosophical or anything, but...

Systems "crash" in nature, too. I mean, ice ages, volcanoes, droughts, monsoons, meteorites, epic-size algae blooms, sulphur bubbles, etc. wipe out ecosystems all the time. I know we like to THINK we've got a handle on our little hobby, here, but hey- there are literally thousands of variables at play in our tanks.

I guess my point is that it seems like it would just torment you to continue to guess and then second-guess yourself. You may simply just never KNOW what started it all- all you can do is just get back up on the horse (as you're doing, it would seem)!

Anyway, I just thought of that while reading about your substrate being anoxic...

kevlouie
02/24/2004, 09:16 AM
dammit roberto! you're not doing much for my god complex!

kevlouie
02/26/2004, 09:37 AM
Okay I did another big water change and since I removed a large portion of the sandbed (which was most foul) and stirred up the rest, I then drained all that water and replaced it. Apparently some lesser cup coral survived (florida rock) because their tentacles were out last night and I've finally gotten ahead of the algea/whatever else that had bloomed. Gonna try some more hermits and turbos today.

kevlouie
02/27/2004, 05:27 PM
Hermits and turbos are livin, and got some of the corals back and they are doing fine. Gonna keep with the water changes and add some more LR soon. Hope I got this thing back under control.

the turbos are doing some kind of weird shudder thing (every 30-45 sec) and not moving around like they normally do, but alive is a good first step. Corals act like nothins wrong.

fishdoc11
02/27/2004, 05:40 PM
Good to hear, knock on wood.
Chris

rcmike
02/27/2004, 06:34 PM
Do the turbos look like they are doing the twist? I have had them do that when I have done a big water change and didn't let the water sit after mixing the salt. I think they are just irritated. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bddizzzy
02/27/2004, 09:31 PM
My tank crashed about 6 months ago, I have a 6in Jaubert plenum system, some of my sand sturing critters went into the toxic layer of my sand and released the toxins into my system. Everything was dead or almost dead within 6 hrs. I have since put in a screen and am looking into a larger tank with a 1-2 in sand bed. Live and learn.

Brian

gpajon
02/29/2004, 09:33 AM
I think everyone has missed a very important point.
You said you added new rock to an established tank. Was this rock cured? It sounds to me like you have a bad bacterial problem. Did the water become cloudy at any time? Bacteria will multiply very quickly and rob the tank of oxygen especially if it runs on the warm side. There are very few things that can cause that much devistation in an aquarium at that rate and a bacterial bloom is definately one of them. Toxins are also a possiblity but toxins from a cucmber for example does not become emitted unless it meets a violent death from a pump or tank mate attcking it.

You say there was some algae on a coral but no algae will do this kind of damage nor will it reproduced that quickly. Thisis why I lean more towards bacteria. Even cured rock can have some die off. All it takes is the right conditions to cause a nasty bloom that can (as happened to you) devistate a tank.

my 2 cents,
Gon

reewik
02/29/2004, 09:54 AM
Gon,

Nice orange cap!

gpajon
02/29/2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by reewik
Gon,

Nice orange cap!

Thanks. :)

Gon

kevlouie
03/01/2004, 08:42 AM
I really don't know, it never got cloudy. I suspect the LR played a minor role, its hard to imagine a "new" algae or bacterium into the system since the tank has been up and running since 1991 in one form or another. Regardless, the new snails and crabs are still kickin, but now diatoms are starting (since they are sort of a "pioneer" colonizer, this is probably good). Off to get more grazers today!!

gpajon
03/01/2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by kevlouie
I really don't know, it never got cloudy. I suspect the LR played a minor role, its hard to imagine a "new" algae or bacterium into the system since the tank has been up and running since 1991 in one form or another. Regardless, the new snails and crabs are still kickin, but now diatoms are starting (since they are sort of a "pioneer" colonizer, this is probably good). Off to get more grazers today!!

What did the algae loook like?
Was it like cyano but stringy and with bubbles?

I have seen tanks killed by bacterial blooms, but there is no way to know what the cause was at this point. Seems you are back on the right track. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gon

kevlouie
03/24/2005, 10:24 AM
Tank has been recovered for over a year now, and is doing so good...I haven't had an issue with algae or cyano for a long time now. Had some flatworm problems last fall, but FWE fixed that. Thought I would bump this up for folks who think water changes are "optional". When in doubt...do a big water change! Pics...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/p3ed9b36ec855624657362844ac18417b/f4b96bd6.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/pb963e49912c800f9c29ec6d0ae73cf2e/f4b96da6.jpg

Mdwannabe
03/24/2005, 03:46 PM
All I can say is I feel your pain!!!
Still suffering through post crash problems.
Just to help my situation, I went out of town last weekend (with my wife, so no one could monitor the tank). She threw a surprise birthday party for me in Cincinnati (became a true old fart....50!).
When I got home Sunday, yet more death, why, what could it be?
When I stuck my hand in the tank I knew the answer. My temperature controller froze up in the cooling mode. Temp was below 60.
Someone does not want me to have a reef tank.
Just ordered a new temp controller and new RO/DI unit.
Believe me I feel your pain!!!
I would love to offer baby sitting space (as I have plenty...but I don't trust my setup).

kevlouie
03/24/2005, 03:51 PM
Your kidding? Again? Man you must have some good karma coming your way. I've still got your zo's when you get it fleshed out, and some chaeto.

Mdwannabe
03/24/2005, 04:06 PM
Nothing new until I get this behind me!
My fung-schway is definitely out of wack!
The boss (read wife) is REAL HAPPY with me right now :-( , though she likes the thought of my RO/DI providing some drinking water in the kitchen. Can you say plumbing project...:-)
Updates to follow.

kevlouie
03/24/2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Mdwannabe
Nothing new until I get this behind me!
My fung-schway is definitely out of wack!
The boss (read wife) is REAL HAPPY with me right now :-( , though she likes the thought of my RO/DI providing some drinking water in the kitchen. Can you say plumbing project...:-)
Updates to follow.

I sold my RO/DI the exact same way. Need to get some new filters maybe I should drop a hint or two about how bad water makes kids sick again. :lol:

phudeb
03/24/2005, 04:58 PM
kevlouie, how did that FWE work for you? I've been having flat worm for several months now and hoping it will go away by itself but it is getting worst. I'm thinking about FWE also but didn't know how harmful it is to corals.

rcmike
03/24/2005, 05:15 PM
Dang Rick, you have been having a bad luck string lately, Hope it gets better soon.

Kevin, you scared me. I thought you had another crash when I saw this thread.

boofer
03/25/2005, 12:46 AM
Phu, FWE is safe man...go get you some and quit thinking about it:)

fishdoc11
03/25/2005, 08:26 AM
You do want to remove as many flatworms as you can before you do it though. I made the mistake of not removing enough one time and had clowns swimming in circles.

kevlouie
03/25/2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by phudeb
kevlouie, how did that FWE work for you? I've been having flat worm for several months now and hoping it will go away by itself but it is getting worst. I'm thinking about FWE also but didn't know how harmful it is to corals.

What Chris said. Be ready with a siphon when you dose the tank Phu. There was this yellow haze of death floating near the bottom when I dosed it from the juice coming out of the worms. They were incredibly easy to remove though, once dead. Just siphon them out along with the juice/toxin. Keep in mind it may take 2 treatments as it did with me to get them all.

Mike, yeah this thread was on the old club forum and I though it might be usefull to people. Everything is going so awesome right now I think I will have to cross my fingers. Only things I need are a new Euroreef skimmer ($300), a Tunze stream and multicontroller ($375), a calcium reactor (~$350) and a nano cube to put my softies in. :lol:

wooglin
03/25/2005, 09:05 AM
Kev you wont regret the Tunze thats for sure. I love mine. Best thing I have bought for my tank besides halides. I was going to get a calcium reactor but right now I am trying homemade two part. Cost about 6.00 to make 10 gallons, 5 of each part, and so far it is working well.

kevlouie
03/25/2005, 09:23 AM
Yep I am doing the homemade 2 part thing myself, using Turbo Calcium and baking soda, and throwing in some kalk (Mrs. wages) for good measure. I sure have been getting a lot of evaporation lately. Some corals (docs green monti) has been going crazy for a while now, I'm getting close to 1.5" growth per month. Some acros/other montis are doing pretty good too, but nothing that crazy.