PDA

View Full Version : Are there any blue corals?

kidzatheart
01/27/2004, 08:39 PM
Are there any blue corals or sponges? I am wanting some blue things that can be kept under pc lighting. I have a frogfish in a 10 gallon with blue sand and i am looking for other blue things that can go in there. I am wanting blue things so he will turn blue. Anyone know of anything blue for a reef?

minfinger
01/27/2004, 09:45 PM
Blue is a matter of opinion and most importantly, your lights.

I have a few blue mushrooms, I've heard of blue sponges, and there's quite a bit of blue SPS. But there's only a few blue SPS that are sold.

skipm
01/28/2004, 07:39 PM
Blue mushrooms would be the easiest to get (I have some if you want some) or if you really want a blue coral just for the purpose of trying to get the fish to turn blue look at blue dyed decorator type corals (either fake ones or real skeletons that have been dyed). If you want some mushrooms either call me or e-mail me. skip82965@hotmail.com or 838-7612.

Troy182
01/29/2004, 11:18 AM
This is not mine... but it is Blue. It's was for sale from an online vendor but not a really highly recommended one. also does best under halides.

MiddletonMark
01/29/2004, 11:41 AM
Yep, blue clams and sponges for sure.
Mushrooms too.

Other than that ... there are a few blue SPS ... but without the lights, and sometimes `exactly the right lights' ... they often don't look as blue as advertised. But some nice ones.

Aquarius Lady
01/29/2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
... but without the lights, and sometimes `exactly the right lights' ... they often don't look as blue as advertised. But some nice ones.

Man, this just needed REPEATING...
If there was one thing I really learned fast in this hobby, it is that.. Whatever you see online or in a LFS will usually ALWAYS look different in your own tank, (unless you can EXACTLY, precisely duplicate the exact lighting set up. Same sized tank, same depth, same lights set at the same distance, same brand, etc)...
DOESN'T mean the corals aren't great and healthy, just, "You actual color" may vary ;) I think as Skip mentioned, if you really want somthing "true blue" (IE: you have a color changing animal) then make sure to go with a few "fakes" (Fake corals, fake sponges) in the color you want.
Skips Blue 'Shrooms are AWESOME by the way, they look spellbinding under the Actinics!

Aquarius Lady
01/29/2004, 07:17 PM
I also forgot to mention that the corals themselves will often change subtle throught the color spectrum, (again depending on the lighting) things nearer the top can get a bit 'lightened up" and things near the bottom or shaded can darken up. I've had perfectly healthy ricordias lighten up, or shift in the color spectrum (from Salmon, to orange to, orange/pink) all within a 4 months time. Also as you lights age they can also shift the colors of things in your tank.

MiddletonMark
01/29/2004, 07:25 PM
Exactly ... one of the reasons I love SPS frags over wild colonies ... I can trade from other reefers for them - actually KNOW the conditions it was kept in [as opposed to LFS who is just a way-station] ... and if one doesn't turn nice for me I can either frag it for more trades or pass it along to someone else in my reef club with a slightly different setup.

Just got a brownish-red Acro from a reef club guy Sunday ... and I'm positive it will look differently under my setup [VHO -> MH's] ... which is kinda cool. If not, along the trade route it goes :D

Mushrooms are one of the few `will stay the same' generally corals ... though with a big tank you can always get a blue fish [Tang, or Blue Chromis] that you know will stay blue.

djangoboots
01/29/2004, 07:47 PM
there are blue Linkia sp. starfish that come from australia. i have seen lovely ones in tanks there, but I hear that they don't have the best track record here. You should look into it though. They may just have a few special requirements that you may be able to satisfy. They really are a striking blue.

kidzatheart
01/29/2004, 08:43 PM
Mushrooms are one of the few `will stay the same' generally corals ... though with a big tank you can always get a blue fish [Tang, or Blue Chromis] that you know will stay blue.

Hello. The fish i am trying to turn blue is a frogfish. I learned the hard way not to put small to medium fish with this fish. When we 1st got the frogfish he was 2 to 2 1/2 inches. In my 80g i had a blue hippo about 3 inches and a raccoon butterfly that was about 4 inches. The LFS told me that both of these fish were to big for the frog to eat. When I got up the next morning, I found out the the LFS was WRONG. My raccoon butterfly was gone. My frogfish has a nice round belly. I would of rather him ate my blue hippo. The hippos are found everywhere. The raccoons we dont see much and they are usually hard to get to start eatting. We had to work hard with that butterfly to get him eatting and he was doing great until he meet Rocky, the frogfish.

kidzatheart
01/29/2004, 08:49 PM
Here is Rocky, the fish I am trying to change blue:
Hoping these attachments work.lol.

kidzatheart
01/29/2004, 08:51 PM
Well all 4 attachments didnt post like i thought they would. Here is one more of him.

minfinger
01/29/2004, 09:35 PM
You sick reefer, shining blue light on that poor fish ;) hehe

Jackie, most of the time mine looks betters ;)

Psst...I us a lot of Actinic :D

fishdoc11
02/10/2004, 09:56 AM
I have a Mike Palletta blue Acro ( this is what it was called when I bought it, it did come from Paletta). It is a true blue color under 10k 250w MH and a fast grower. Unfortunately it probably would'nt stay that color under pc's. Tortuosa is another Acro that is a true blue color.

Troy182
02/10/2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by fishdoc11
I have a Mike Palletta blue Acro ( this is what it was called when I bought it, it did come from Paletta). It is a true blue color under 10k 250w MH and a fast grower. Unfortunately it probably would'nt stay that color under pc's. Tortuosa is another Acro that is a true blue color.

Any Pics

fishdoc11
02/10/2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah,
I have'nt quite figured out the pic thing on here yet. If you pm me your email I can send you one.
Chris