PDA

View Full Version : unlikely tankmates.

djangoboots
01/27/2004, 01:23 PM
I know this has nothing to do with "reefing" . But a few weeks ago I decided to mix my brazilian puffers (Colomesus asellus) with two discus. After some strange looks from the LFS guys, whom I assured it would be alright, I took 1 discus home, and then another. They couldn't be happier together. The puffs have yet to do any nipping, though the brazilians are known for their good manors. everyone gets a bit fiesty during feeding, but it's kinda fun to watch. Anyway, I grew up having discus and forgot how fun they are. I see a bigger FW tank somewhere in my future!

Aquarius Lady
01/27/2004, 05:10 PM
I have like 16 of those Brazilian Puffers, they share the same 150 gal along with 22 Bumblee Gobies, 3 Figure 8 Puffers, a 7" Clown Loach, 5 Otocinc.'s and 5 Cory cats. oh yeah, and one African Butterfly ;) The brazillians are really not aggressive at all, in fact the Bumblbees all stake out territories and chase the little puff's away! LOL, they are cute, aren't they?

Simbo18
01/27/2004, 05:16 PM
Anyone have a picture of one of these brazilian puffers (or the cooler looking of the FW puffers)?? And what size tank would they need??

I had no idea they had FW puffers, sounds interesting.

:wildone:Luke:wildone:

djangoboots
01/27/2004, 05:34 PM
Check out puffernet.tripod.com he has a good FW/brackish puffer page. The brazillians are very small (think guppy) so you could keep them in a small tank if water quality is kept up. they are super cool and a lot of fun!

Simbo18
01/27/2004, 05:50 PM
That's awesome!!!! I want one!!! Where do you get them?

Aquarius Lady
01/27/2004, 09:13 PM
Right now (believe it or not!) PetSmart carries them for CHEAP!
(Like 2.00 for one) if you order them ONLINE they charge like $7 for one and that doesn't include shipping! :( Grrrrrrr!~
When buying them, make sure they are nice and round (Puffer like, not skinny or thin) usually I give them a prevenative dip in Acflavin because puffers are very, very, susceptable (sp?) to fungal infections. I also pretreat with Melafix, which helps them make the transition easier. They are NOT flake food eaters, requiring live or frozen blood worms or mysis shrimp to stay in the best condition.
Good luck!

djangoboots
01/28/2004, 11:38 AM
I would be a bit hesitant to buy them from petsmart, while they are somewhat hardy, like Jackie said they are quite susceptible to many things (they are scale-less ) I got some from Age at one point and my others from tideline. If you bug them about it they can get some in. And like Jackie said only buy plump ones. I tried to save a skinny one (it was also the last one in the tank) anyway i never really got him to eat and he eventually died.

Simbo18
01/28/2004, 05:39 PM
I'll keep checking AOA for the puffers. Thanks for the info!

djangoboots
01/28/2004, 05:42 PM
If you are going to go to Age for them you will really have to bug them to get them to order the brazilians. You can also put in a request @ tideline.

djangoboots
02/04/2004, 07:41 PM
Hey Luke,
I just went by tideline and they have those FW puffers in there, they're pretty big too. I think they're calling them columbian tiger puffers. you should go check them out.

minfinger
02/04/2004, 10:05 PM
Jessa,

What did you end up getting?

djangoboots
02/05/2004, 11:44 AM
I got one engineer goby and one green clown goby. I actually made it out of there with them owing me $.36! (from my credit). I am so proud of myself! I was looking for you, but you must have left before me.

minfinger
02/05/2004, 02:07 PM
Wife was mad, I had to run out. She needed something I had in the car.

I should have the membership cards ready this weekend. You can start getting your discount now.