PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready for rock....

waverz
01/26/2004, 02:56 PM
Everything is starting to come together now. Just got this skimmer tonite for a killer deal. Also got the refugium drilled, as well as the sump. Gonna link the refugium and sump together with hose so theres a little flex. Also cut holes in the lid of the sump so i can access the collection cups. Next step is to order pumps and heater.
Im gonna be using two pumps. One in the main sump and one in the refugium. Also gotta order a heater, test kits, and other misc. items. After that its on to rock.
I think to save money i will buy 50lbs of base rock and then 100 lbs or live rock. Heres some pics of the sump, refugium, skimmer, and overflow.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23919

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23920

dellrio
01/27/2004, 08:50 PM
best place for base rock is www.hirocks.com we got 60lbs for $87 shipped.... thats a great price.

HOC
01/27/2004, 10:10 PM
I second the Hirocks. The price has gone up since I bought mine though:mad:

waverz
01/28/2004, 12:22 AM
I may go with BlueReefAquatics. Just got off the phone with the dude a while ago. He said he can do Tonga "Kaelini" for cheap. Unless i find a better deal than that in the next couple of weeks thats probably what ill go with.

websiteworld.com
01/28/2004, 12:23 AM
What is the purpose of using this versus just buying a bunch of Fiji live rock?

waverz
01/28/2004, 12:44 AM
From all the pictures i have seen the Tonga "Kaelini" looks better than the Fiji premium stuff. Its all so confusing. Dunno bout you guys but i dont even remember what an ocean really looks like...let alone the rocks in it. Just going by pic i see on the internet kinda sucks.

Originally posted by websiteworld.com
What is the purpose of using this versus just buying a bunch of Fiji live rock?

dknape
01/28/2004, 08:59 AM
The Kaelini rock is not going to be as dense as your fiji rocks and usualy has very colorful coraline algae growing around the rock. Many times, people will use Kaelini rock for a topoff rock instead of for the entire tank. If you are using MH lighting, the coraline may fade a little but if you are using PC or VHO lighting, it will come back very quickly.

Kaelini rock is also known for having generally more diverstiy when it comes to the inhabitants such as worms, starfish, plants and sometimes, even small corals.

Because it is more porous, you will not need as much as you would probably go with if you were to use fiji. The average amount you would probably want to go with would be between 0.75 to 1.25 pounds per gallon.

This type of rock oftentimes costs much more.

HOC
01/28/2004, 09:48 PM
Kaelinihttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/8433Kaelini_1.jpg

Fiji http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/8433nicerock-thumb.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison. One thing to consider is when cycling a tank you will lose a lot of the life on the rock. Buying nice rock to cycle a tank is a waste of money IMO. Also most of the colors on the Kaelini won't stay even in an established tank. Also another thing to consider is you'll have trouble getting LR in sub zero temps. My advise would be to buy some cheaper Fiji, let your tank stabalize, then get some nicer stuff:)

dellrio
01/28/2004, 10:38 PM
i think kaelini is by far the most beautiful rock out there... amazing shape and unread colors of algaes.. i agree with HOC.. id wait for the beautiful stuff later.. when u have better chances of keeping color..
also.. if u cycle live rock with lights on it.. is it more likely to keep some of the wild colors?

waverz
01/28/2004, 11:07 PM
From what ive been quoted the Kaelini isnt that much more than the Fiji Premium. Also from what im understanding the Kaelini is more porous than the Fiji so I wont need as much. So they kind of equal themselves out. Never thought of shipping in the winter as being a problem. I really dont wanna stare at an empty tank till spring.

HOC
01/28/2004, 11:54 PM
To be honest, I can't tell a diff in weight of the two types mentioned. The Kaelini is flatter, but I wouldn't say there's any size benefit. Temps just need to be a little warmer. Airlines won't ship livestock in these temps. You won't have to wait til spring.;)

waverz
01/29/2004, 12:03 AM
I need a few weeks to get everything going anyhow. Just took a bunch of water from the tank and put it into the sump and fuge and skimmer. Had to try out the new skimmer. So now i am waiting for the tank to fill again. Cant wait for pumps and stuff to get here so i can see if my filtration system works. I've been watching my skimmer bubble but thats getting kinda boring. ;-)