PDA

View Full Version : Prop Faq

Reefmaiden
01/26/2004, 12:53 AM
What is PROP?
The Propagators Reef Organization Project is a group of hobbyists who have banned together in the name of conservation to promote the hobby through education by presentations and discussions, localizing a niche for aquacultured corals and making them available, and allow local hobbyists to have a place to network and share ideas.

When did PROP materialize?
Several hobbyists empowered themselves to continually seek ways to improve the hobby and inhabitants we care for; The PROP farmers have always strived to be hobbyists, but were limited to what each person could do to promote the hobby. However, a minimum amount of organization and work was needed to further help the hobby at large. The Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG) started over a year, which had the purpose and intent of bringing saltwater enthusiasts from all skill levels to communicate and network with one another within the local community. PROP splintered off this network of people having many of the farmers of PROP being the original founders of FRAG.

Where does PROP meet?
PROP currently meets immediately after the FRAG meetings at The Round Table Pizza on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. PROP auctions begin on the 1st Saturday of the month while the presentations are on the 3rd Saturday.

How does PROP differ from FRAG or other official saltwater clubs in the Valley?
The Desert Marine Society (DMS) is the official club of Arizona that is open to anyone interested in learning about marine life. They have memberships and club dues which entitle them to hear guest speakers and participate in club sanctioned events. FRAG complements the DMS by opening up further round table discussions, meet people with similar interests, and caters to people who enjoy a less structured meeting. There are no currently no FRAG membership dues, and all friends and families are welcome to attend and entertain any and all reef related questions on a more individualized level. PROP comprises of several hobbyists who wish to help local hobbyists and provide a learning atmosphere where they can gain knowledge from the discussion and presentation portion. Monthly auctions open to all hobbyists provide a market where they can buy, sell, or trade livestock through the PROP auctions. The DMS, FRAG, and PROP are all different, but with the same underlying goals which is to further the enjoyment of the hobby, which allow them to complement one another instead of becoming competing forces.

Who are the PROP farmers?
PROP does not have a group of elected officials, but a governing body that consists of the farmers themselves. The PROP farmers are responsible for overseeing the direction of the club, auctions, presentations, and growing the PROP corals, which will be largely chosen by the PROP farmers as well as input from non-PROP reefkeepers.

mx_tang
01/26/2004, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the FAQ Erin. If anybody has any further questions, please feel free to post or PM/e-mail me.

Thanks!

polymorphus
01/26/2004, 03:15 AM
What rules govern who can become a PROP farmer?
Will PROP "members" have an open account of were monies and corals aquired by PROP meetings and fundraisers are going?
Who will have first access to frags produced by PROP? or will they go into an auction to "rebenefit" PROP?

mx_tang
01/26/2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by polymorphus
[B]What rules govern who can become a PROP farmer?

Hi polymorphus,

PROP farmers have been selected by a governing Board of Directors based on factors which include dedication, skill, motivation, ability to help and serve the reefing community at large, and other weighted attributes for qualified candidates. However, it is impossible for the likes of a few to know every single hobbyist and gauge their associated strengths to the hobby, so we entertain any individual(s) who have the fervor to serve as a PROP farmer.

One of our goals to help promote the hobby will be to selectively farm corals, which may later be passed down to secondary (Tier 2) farmers. In this way, PROP farmers do not remain static with the help of a few, but have the efforts of many carry out/perpetuate PROP and its underlying mission statements. In this way, growth occurs, which ultimately gives the saltwater enthusiasts/hobbyists an outlet where they can obtain a more diverse selection of livestock and corals locally.

Currently, we have 7 PROP farmers who will eventually need other farmers to keep one or more particular species of livestock or coral available to hobbyists. Since the amount of corals and species we plan on bringing in requires additional help through outsourcing farmers, specific positions will be open to those who desire to be a farmer when the need arises.

Also, there may be extenuating non-PROP related circumstances which require farmers to leave the project (work, relocating, illness, and the like). This will also require PROP to bring in farmers to fill the vacant position.

Ultimately, PROP farmers are chosen by the governing BOD.

Will PROP "members" have an open account of were monies and corals aquired by PROP meetings and fundraisers are going?

PROP monies raised by fundraisers or auctions will be accounted for by our GLT (General Ledger & Treasurer). These funds will then be appropriated and banked to be used for operational expenses and reinvestment. All PROP members and BOD's are welcome to inquire about the PROP bank and a treasurer's report will be made available at the PROP business meetings.

Who will have first access to frags produced by PROP? or will they go into an auction to "rebenefit" PROP?

All frags propagated and farmed by PROP farmers will be donated to the PROP auctions where anyone is eligible to bid on the items. The reason the corals are donated to the auction is because the farmers are doing a service to the reefkeeping hobby, which allows PROP to grow and reinvest into buying other species of corals, maintain operational expenses, etc. In other words, PROP corals farmed by PROP farmers will be donated for 0/100% split (all proceeds go back to PROP).

The auction house was proposed because fair market value can only truly be determined by the demand, and buyers decide the worth of the aforementioned pieces. This will ensure that the buyer and seller agree on a mutually satisfactory transaction and outcome. It should be noted that the auction is open to all private sellers; they may auction off any of their items to retain 75% of the proceeds (25% seller's fee goes to PROP). Buyers are not charged any fees and they simply pay the closing cost of the auctioned item.

BLUESMAN
01/28/2004, 06:02 PM
Hello!! Anyone have Q's???? I will attempt to answer the best I am able. We have some issues unresolved yet , but most are decided.
Blue

theroryshow
01/29/2004, 01:06 PM
What coral species are currently being "Proped," if that is an appropriate term? SPS i assume?

BLUESMAN
01/29/2004, 03:21 PM
At this point in time we are still in the investing stage. We will hopefully have all invested monies by March 6th. At which time we will contact a few vendors for the selection of corals that we want to purchase. We are planning on propagating rare, exotic, brightly colored sps's, zoanthids and ricordea. Our first planned sale of these items will not be until fall of 2004. Of course it could be sooner, depending on how fast the spieces grow. The monthly auctions will still continue, with local( and not so local ) people selling their personal livestock and dry goods.
Blue

mx_tang
01/29/2004, 04:08 PM
Like Blue mentioned, any exotic coral that can be "propagated" or made into a fragment can potentially be on the PROP list. There are hobbyists with different tank setups and lighting schemes; we feel that having only SPS or organisms requiring high light intensities would limit the amount of people who could responsibly keep these animals. However, there will still be private sellers who have very nice collections of corals and they could go up on the auction block at anytime.

The auction is only one facet of PROP, and it should be emphasized that the goal of PROP is to promote the hobby, primarily though education within the local sector. We will also have monthly presentations as well as auctions. The presentations could include guest speakers, PROP farmers, a Q&A forum, or a hands on workshop.

theroryshow
01/29/2004, 05:38 PM
I assume Prop would also be taking donations? Would prop ever sell its propagated corals to an outside source, say a LFS, or would all pieces be auctioned? Just interested in how exactly this is or is going to be set up.

BLUESMAN
01/29/2004, 07:01 PM
MX, Very good point! PROP is not just about the selling of exotic corals. PROP was also created to educate and assist fellow hobbiests.
We,as BOD members, have not discussed donations, although I would assume that donations would be welcome and appreciated. As of right now all "prop" corals would be auctioned, either live or an on-line auctioning(e-bay style). This would allow the buyers to determine the selling price, instead of the seller/vendor. We will not be selling directly to LFS's, although they are eligible to bid at auctions.
Another statement that should be issued is that all "prop" coral frags will be auctioned with proceeds going back into the "prop" bank account. We are still deciding on the required times each coral will be fragged where all the profit goes to "prop".
Good Questions!
Blue

kirstenk
01/30/2004, 05:22 PM
Is PROP a Non Profit Organization?

Kirsten

BLUESMAN
01/30/2004, 06:55 PM
We are still looking into the legalities of either non profit, not for profit, or LLC(Limited Liability Corp.). We are researching the advantages and disadvantages of all. We will hopefully have an decision this weekend and start the necessary paperwork. No one BOD will be receiving any monies from PROP account. More news/info to follow. I like the involvement and concern that everyone has.
Blue

polymorphus
01/30/2004, 07:28 PM
Coral Says "BLUESMAN please PROPogate me!!!"

http://www.gerardrodriguez.com/fishstuff/purplem.jpg

:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

BLUESMAN
01/30/2004, 07:35 PM
Looks like an "Blue Tort"...course I'm just an newbie! That's exactly the SPS's we are looking at!
Blue( why do you think they call me "blue"??)

Reefmaiden
01/30/2004, 09:40 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that is actually the famous Purple Monster.

We would love to bring in corals of that type along with the blue tort, etc. ; only problem with some of them is they are such slow growers it may take a very long time to be able to produce even one frag (of descent size) for the community.

We are still looking at them, though! Keep the suggestions coming!

polymorphus
01/31/2004, 12:30 AM
yes it is the famous Purple Monster from a buddy of mines tank in San Diego :-D

polymorphus
01/31/2004, 02:41 AM
Actually to be more precise its Jeff Gorjan's Fiji Purple Monster...

BLUESMAN
02/11/2004, 04:46 PM
Uhhh.....Hey "poly" How about getting "prop" a frag from your "buddy"?? Those are an very slow grower...so if we start now..maybe be able to prop a frag by November! The sooner we get sps's, the sooner we can grow them out and sell!
Blue

polymorphus
02/14/2004, 04:15 PM
I will certainly ask... maybe a tier 2 farming position is in order humm... well! humm... :lol:

Actually one quick question! Will the online auctions be available to the reefing community as a whole? or only to local reefers?

BLUESMAN
02/14/2004, 04:49 PM
Well, all second tier farmers will be invited/voted in. When the on-line auctions begin, they will available to the lower 48 state reefers.
Blue

02/18/2004, 01:44 AM
What type of business association did you go with? LLC? Non-profit? Just curious . . . very interesting discussion here.

PROP is a great concept, obviously well thought out. It sounds like it will be a real service to the hobby and to the wild reefs themselves. Good luck!

Fieldy72233
02/18/2004, 11:13 AM
I agree, I would like to become very involved with in the local community. While I am in the midst of rebuilding my 65 reef, I am always looking for more knowledge to gain. And a way to meet local reefers!

BLUESMAN
03/03/2004, 05:45 PM
PROP BOD members are planning on ordering the first shipment of corals this month(March!).
Blue

dmorel
01/10/2005, 11:33 AM
For any new folks checking this board out.

The latest update on PROP (now a month or so old) was posted here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473024

Regards,
-dm