PDA

View Full Version : Cool article on clams...

Oldschooler
01/26/2004, 12:46 AM
...Sorry if most of you know this already, buut...

The January issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist features an article on Tridacnid clams. Many of you have asked questions in the shop that are gone into in more detail in this article, or that I've improperly answered due to my ignorance based on what I've been told by OTHER ignorant people. For example, I am guilty of the very thing this article points out MANY others have done, which is to identify clams based on size and appearance of the mantle, alone. The author showed pics of the shell features which, when one sees the differences, MUCH more accurately differentiate the species! *slaps head, yells "duh!"* Further, I had no idea that clams could hybridize (but then, everything else does, so why not?)!

I know TFH isn't as popular as FAMA, but I like it because it's better-produced with fewer typos, errors, etc.

wooglin
01/26/2004, 06:24 PM
I have a subscription to fama, but need to get TFH, it sounds good.

fishdoc11
01/26/2004, 07:49 PM
If anyone is interested Knopp's book on clams is considered THE book on clams. I've read it and it is very good although some what dated. Also RC has a clam forum that is very informative. I would like to read that article on clams, I'm curious if it has anything new so if someone could save it and let me borrow it that would be great. Robert the algae book I bought from yall is much better than suspected at first glance, thanks.

Oldschooler
01/26/2004, 10:55 PM
I KNEEEEEEEEEW you would like it! You BREATHE this stuff, man! LOL Only thing is, most of his recommendations for actually DEALING with the stuff are identical for every species, it seems. Still, I'm like you in that I'm a book nerd. I already have EVERY book known to man on reptiles and amphibians, and now I'm just beginning the reef stuff... I've got a loooooooooooooong way to catch up to you!

Fellow book-nerds, UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishdoc11
01/27/2004, 08:42 AM
Books are great. I only wish I had MORE time to read. With school and all most of my reading these days is required. Knowledge is power. Maybe someday I'll have enough time to read about reptiles and try to catch up to you!

rcmike
01/27/2004, 11:51 AM
While we're on the topic of books, I just got Anthony Calfo's book on propagating corals. It is very good.

reewik
01/27/2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by fishdoc11
If anyone is interested Knopp's book on clams is considered THE book on clams. I've read it and it is very good although some what dated. Also RC has a clam forum that is very informative. I would like to read that article on clams, I'm curious if it has anything new so if someone could save it and let me borrow it that would be great. Robert the algae book I bought from yall is much better than suspected at first glance, thanks.

I have the magazine. I will either make you a copy or you can just borrow the magazine Chris.

Eric

fishdoc11
01/27/2004, 08:18 PM
rcmike, maybe you could bring Calfo's book to the next meeting. We'll just have to make it a rule that people dry their hands before reading the books LOL!!!
Eric, either way that would be great, thanks

Oldschooler
01/27/2004, 11:33 PM
Hey, Mike don't need no bodyguard, but if _I_ see anyone using his book with wet hands... Ooooh, man! It's against my RELIGION to see someone abusing a good book and not avenge it with their BLOOD!!!!

Ooh! Another idea for a [later] club meeting... I'll dig up some of my ANCIENT saltwater/reef books (I collect books from ALL corners of the kingdom Animalia, not just reptiles). Some of the stuff these guys said years ago is a RIOT!!! Heck, if nothing else, you can make fun of the hair-dos and yellow floral-print wallpapers in the homes of fish "gurus" of days gone by!

A. Critter Killer
01/27/2004, 11:46 PM
In that case, I better stay the heck away from that book! If I get near it and an aquarium...chances are it will get wet :) ----Sean