PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee reefer meeting

fishdoc11
01/25/2004, 10:31 PM
Just thought I would let everyone who attended know much I enjoyed meeting everybody, and of course seeing everybody I knew again. I hope everybody enjoyed themselves and I look forward to our next meeting. How much fun it is for a fish geek like me to sit around and talk to other hobbyists about reef tanks(and scuba diving) for 3 hrs.
thanks guys and gals, Chris

adshuraj777
01/25/2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the cheese dip. HA!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A. Critter Killer
01/26/2004, 12:13 AM
No prob. Adam, I am glad to see you enjoyed yourselves! ----Sean

Oldschooler
01/26/2004, 12:35 AM
Sorry I missed you guys, but I had prior commitments. One thing I'd like to add, based on Sean's summary to me this evening, is that I think this thing ought to have a clear purpose in mind from the beginning.

Sean said he was impressed by how many of you who attended seemed truly concerned about NOT harming the store through swaps, etc. Sean and I both agree that there is no need to worry about this, and allow me to explain...

First, although all of us would have varying reasons to be involved, if we don't all agree on some MAIN goals, it (the club) won't survive long-term. Some might come just to score frags inexpensively; others might come for the cheese dip or the comaraderie. But, as they say, as soon as the cheese dip runs out... Well, you get the picture. LOL

I propose that the *main*, numero-uno purpose of this club be: To aid in the preservation of the reefs through the pursuit of proper husbandry and propogation of the plants and animals of the reef in captivity. In essence, the goal should be for each and EVERY ONE OF US to obtain and learn to PROPERLY propogate every species we can. I believe it was Wooglin (forgive me if it was another of you) who suggested Sprung has a book, or there was a website, or whatever, which step-by-step explained the PROPER way of cutting and fragging a number of corals. This has been our idea all along with this club. ANYONE can bust up an animal and sell it. But how many people can TRULY take a wild-collected animal, fragment it properly, holdfast it, and have it HEAL PROPERLY? Moreover, how many of us could truly say they have a rare SPECIES (not a rare specimen)?

I say don't worry about the store too much. That's MY job to worry about how to make money, and after twenty-plus years of making my living from animals, I think we'll be just fine. Let's let the primary focus be to advance the knowledge OF THE ANIMALS for EACH AND EVERYONE ONE OF US, regardless of the potential for profit.

Let's face it, there WILL come a time when the trade WILL become over-run with livestock. It's happened in other segments of the animal trade. This stuff is just too easy, for the most part, and EVERYONE would like to quit their 9-to-5 to breed animals wholesale! I, for one, am not concerned (as other retail stores are) that we're going to be out-competed or otherwise threatened by the proliferation of reef clubs. Sean feels likewise.

I think all we ask is that you not trade with each other INSIDE OUR STORE during normal business hours, unless you have our prior permission. We do, after all, pay an EXORBITANT amount for rent! :( Besides, there's e-mail and phones for that!

Hope to see you all NEXT time!
~Roberto

fishdoc11
01/26/2004, 06:16 PM
I think that's an exellent purpose. Does this mean I can't sit out front with my free frags to a good home box anymore? Oh, he said INSIDE the store, nevermind.

rcmike
01/26/2004, 08:28 PM
Just don't park in the fire lane.

Oldschooler
01/26/2004, 10:50 PM
Oh, you can park in the firelane. Just make sure you drive an Escalade with "spinner" rims. Oh, and it would help to look like a football player. :P

fishdoc11
01/27/2004, 08:45 AM
I might put some different hub caps on my Toyota. As far as the football player part, I'm not genetically inclined.

adshuraj777
01/27/2004, 08:47 AM
they have spinner hubcaps now, for the poor pimps out there...

fishdoc11
01/27/2004, 08:53 AM
I'll think about that. It still won't help me get over 175 lbs.!

Oldschooler
01/27/2004, 08:56 AM
LOL @ adshuraj777! *shakes head* "spinner hubcaps"! :D

Hey, fishdoc, you must not be married! Get married, and you most certainly CAN get over 175! Ha!

fishdoc11
01/27/2004, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I'm married. I mean over 175# without xtra padding. Have you talked to Sean about the meeting lately. Chris ( coralreefing ) had a great idea for a meeting. Buying a coral ( large colony ) and propogating it to teach people who don't know how to propigate sps. Chris and I both have some experience with this. I also have several books and a couple of things printed out. We could show people how we do it and compare our methods to others. Each person could then take a turn and propigate his/her coral! This would probably be best done at the store to minimize transport and stress on the coral before we frag it. Everybody could pitch in to buy the coral from Ebay. We could each get a nice frag/frags for a good price and everybody would learn something. Some of us could even volunteer to keep the corals of people that were'nt ready for sps yet until their tanks were ready or if people did'nt want one they could learn and then yall could sell the xtras at the store. Sounds like a fish nerd good time to me!

coralreefing
01/27/2004, 11:07 AM
We could do that with a different species each meeting & let the person with the most experience with that type of coral lead. I may even be willing to donate one of my colts to the cause. Then we could do capnella, sinularia, ricordea, etc.....
Chris

rcmike
01/27/2004, 11:24 AM
That sounds like a great idea. Something I would have never thought of.

reewik
01/27/2004, 02:54 PM
I hope to go to the next meeting. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

doublee8
01/27/2004, 03:26 PM
Here too, i was planning on coming this time, but got caught up in an icestorm in KY.

eric

Oldschooler
01/27/2004, 11:25 PM
The ONLY complaint I have about that idea, fishdoc, is... IT'S TOO DANG GOOD. I mean, really. With all that love in the room, we'd all end up in a big pile on the floor hugging and kissing each other (yech!). Sounds too much to me like nude Twister!

But seriously... Since Ebay's "cost" on a large head (assuming we're talking w.c.) ISN'T what a lot of you *think* it is, I'll go so far as to say we might even be able to pay most or all of that cost. We've also got supplies such as Reef Dip, etc. In a sense, those of you (such as yourself) who know more about fragging ARE contributing "money" in that your knowledge IS money.

If you guys are willing to share your expertise, we're willing to share our space, materials, etc.

~Roberto

Philip Root
01/27/2004, 11:35 PM
where and when do yall meet?

A. Critter Killer
01/27/2004, 11:40 PM
There is no set time or date. We met Sun. for the first time last week. It appears as though the club will do well! We are going to have excellent members whom truely want to contribute to the club! The club is being organized though Emerald Bay (615)646-8950. Fell free to call for more info. ----Sean

fishdoc11
01/28/2004, 07:06 AM
Well if cost is'nt that high for an average coral maybe we could pitch in and get a very colorfull one that maybe none of us would be able to buy on our own when we saw that $200 retail price tag. After all ultimately those are the ones were after. If we get a very unique one we could even name it after the club ( tennessee pink blue tip etc...)I don't know, just an idea. I'm typically shootin' at the moon so reighn me in if you need to. Thanks Robert, the only other cost's I can think of are super glue and coral rubble. That is for sps fragging. Of course Chris mentioned soft coral propigation and I think that will be more appropriate for most of our members as that is what there tanks are. I also have a soft coral tank. I'm thinking we should do sps first as they are the easiest to propigate but am totally open to what the group as a whole wants to do. Can you tell I'm exited?

reewik
01/28/2004, 08:47 AM
Like a kid in the candy store. Man sounds like everyone has some great ideas. That would be cool to get a coral that is normally " OUT OF THE PRICE RANGE" of most of us. If it was split several ways and everyone including the store benifits, that would be awsome!

I know this may not seem like anything of importance but eventually the club will need a Pres., vp, etc....or whatever the titles may be. Not to put someone in charge, but to facilitate things. I don't know I guess that is the corporate world coming out of me.

I really hope to attend the next meeting and like Chris I am all giddy when I read the posts about the club.

Oldschooler
01/28/2004, 08:57 AM
I'm kind of uncomfortable replying to this last post, but I want to say that currently, Sean is the one doing the most co-ordinating, but I don't think he's ever used any language like "president", etc.

I can not speak for him, but I *think* we had hoped it would be more informal than that. Politics can get UGLY, and as starry-eyed as we all are NOW, my personal vote would be that we NOT worry about actual positions- at least for now. If it gets to a point that we are completely disorganized, I could see it going that way.

It is a great idea, coming from a "corporate" background! I just think it would take some fun out of it! :) What do the rest of us think????????

reewik
01/28/2004, 09:02 AM
Great point Robert. Hey you guys are the ones that brought this together and I know everyone really thanks you for that! I know I do!! The area has some great people in the hobby and you guys have really organized a good thing!

Oldschooler
01/28/2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks, but it's not "you guys". It really is Sean's baby. I can't take ANY credit. Well, other than being the resident poop-stirrer. LOL

adshuraj777
01/28/2004, 09:56 AM
how about "Chief Reefer", lol.

aquaman67
01/28/2004, 11:03 AM
Instead of El Presidente or any other title inferring some type of 'power' how about just 'point of contact' (POC).

That term is used by the military to let you know who to contact for information, ect, without implying that they are in charge of anything....just a thought...

wooglin
01/28/2004, 02:10 PM
I am the MASTER REEFER... Oh wait that was college....

cwa46
01/30/2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by adshuraj777
how about "Chief Reefer", lol.

Since this club belongs to Emrald Bay, will we have an Aquatic Critter official basher. Can we spend club money tearing down the compitition. Will anybody who shops there automatically be kicked out of the club.

I think you people are making a mistake in not having the club seperate form the business. When the business fails, the club is gone as well. Also the abrasive nature of the Emrald Bay owners will eliminate many club members.

adshuraj777
01/30/2004, 08:25 AM
somebody's got a knot in their drawers, lol!

Oldschooler
01/30/2004, 08:57 AM
...If Emerald Bay is going to fail, I wish it would hurry up! I haven't been able to take a lunch for the last three days because of the volume of traffic in our store. I've had FOUR Oceanic CUSTOM orders in the last week, and EVERY DAY I'm having people drive down from Clarksville, Kentucky, and even Evansville, IN. I had a girl from Murfreesboro today, and she said she had not found a nicer store between her home and our shop! And yes, she's been "everywhere". She almost messed herself over our discus. After seeing the corals, she now wants to start a reef (and this after swearing she'd never "do" saltwater). I'd almost APPRECIATE being able to get a job where I wasn't so busy!

And anyone can go and start their own "club"- there's nothing saying YOU have to join THIS one. And it is NOT a "part" of Emerald Bay other than Sean is the main catalyst for it.

So get over yourself, already.

~Roberto

cwa46
01/30/2004, 09:14 AM
I just like to rile you guys. Its so easy to do and to think everybody gets to see how you act. If you have a bad time with a customer, will you go public with his name and what ****es you off, like you do with former employeers? Maybe accuse them of being cheats and law breakers! Awh, true professionalism at its best!

Oldschooler
01/30/2004, 09:22 AM
Rile? "Rile"??? Are you kidding? I'm an aries. We LIVE to fight. What you're giving me is conisdered by most as "foreplay". You give yourself too much credit. Really.

And the ONLY reason "we" have "bashed" your boys at all, and the only reason we even FOUND this forum was because some loyalists for your store were discrediting ourselves. We came out to DEFEND ourselves, and make no apologies for it.

You should spend more time working on your spelling and less time "riling" others. You might be able to make more money in a business other than home repair and thus not be so bitter. :)

kevlouie
01/30/2004, 09:35 AM
Smiley. Always stiring up trouble ain't ya. Bet drunk you're a riot. :)

Dude you should consider joining this club, I know you have a lot of expertise with this stuff, to offer. I tried on several occasions to get the other guys interested in supporting a club, and they blew me off. Why not?

Oldschooler
01/30/2004, 09:41 AM
Kev, was your post directed to me? I'm confused, because *I* have "joined" the club. I was just unable to attend the first meeting. And yes, -if you were talking to me- I AM a riot when I'm drunk. Actually, _I_ calm down a LOT. I'm MUCH more aggro when I'm sober! LOL

If you were directing that last paragraph to cwb, then disregard!

:) :) :) ;)

You know, I was just discussing with one of my suppliers the other day about why we think the club is a good thing for everyone (as opposed to some dealers who are threatened by them), and I made a point that NONE of us know everything. We ALL know at least *one* thing that none of the others know. So, in that sense, everyone is capable of contributing *something*!

cwa46
01/30/2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by kevlouie
Smiley. Always stiring up trouble ain't ya. Bet drunk you're a riot. :)

Dude you should consider joining this club, I know you have a lot of expertise with this stuff, to offer. I tried on several occasions to get the other guys interested in supporting a club, and they blew me off. Why not?

For just the reason I posted above. Its a "store" club and I don't like the owners.

cwa46
01/30/2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Oldschooler

You should spend more time working on your spelling and less time "riling" others. You might be able to make more money in a business other than home repair and thus not be so bitter. :)

See, that's why I don't like people with big mouths who speak without wisdom. I retired from my profession at the age of 48. I have been doing remodeling as a part time job since. If you would like to buy the one I will finish this year, it is expected to list for between $1.5-1.6 million. Maybe you could sell you store and buy it?

kevlouie
01/30/2004, 10:10 AM
(Roberto cwa46 is on a couple of other BBs and one of his nicknames is Smiley, presumably because he is so happy all the time :lol:)

Smiley...Okay, but I think a store is a logical place to base the club, and see if it can grow into something bigger. I honestly think the club has a better chance of not making it than the store. I wasn't impressed at first either, but hey after thinking about it, I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to dump a coupla hundred grand into opening a store either so I'm impressed. And there is no arguing with the prices.

cwa46
01/30/2004, 01:04 PM
I don't want to be part of a club that has this kind of relationship with the compitition. You go to your club meeting and support AC, are you going to get into a fight with Mr. DING DING. The one who judges a person by their income and who should remember Jesus was a carpenter.

aquaman67
01/30/2004, 01:37 PM
Can't we all just get along???

kevlouie
01/30/2004, 02:04 PM
I'm MUCH more aggro when I'm sober!

I hear ya. Except when I drink too much tequila, my wife claims I get mean. I think she just means stupid.

Smiley I see you're concern. You're worried if you invest the time and effort, and if you trade at AC, you will get shunned or something. Well I will keep trading at AC and they know that. 70% of my reef money will go to EB simply since they are convienent and they seem way more interested in what happens in my tank than AC ever did. I will keep buying things offline due to the prices too. And what was up with the Jesus comment, I know better than that. you dang heathern :lol:

fishdoc11
01/30/2004, 04:44 PM
cwa46,
I was enjoying this thread until you got on here. You obviosly have a very negative attitude and it is not ahprechiated in this thread or on this forum.

wooglin
01/30/2004, 05:29 PM
Looks like he wont be with us much longer. Good riddance!!!

A long way to go!
This may not be the best question for this forum but I have a mated pair of clownfish and am considering setting up sever more pairs. The problem I have is that in September of next year, I will move from Nashville, to Eastern Oregon. Has anybody ever moved fish tat far, and if so how? I have thought about shipping them, but besides the risk, I have to have tanks at both ends of the move. Anybody tried moving taht far and if so how did you do it?

http://members.home.net/cwaa/

Hobby Experience: 2+ years
Current Tanks: 135 +6 ea. 20 gal + 2 DSB's+ ATS

Oh and by the way looks like your link does not work CWA, must have not paid your @home bill.

cwa46
01/30/2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by fishdoc11
cwa46,
I was enjoying this thread until you got on here. You obviosly have a very negative attitude and it is not ahprechiated in this thread or on this forum.

Ah, but you don't make the rules. I was never a problem until Mr. Big mouth appeared! Doesn't that seem strange? Yes, I do plan to move to Oregon as soon as this remodel is done and sold. So you can stay here with Buba and Buba junior.

fishdoc11
01/30/2004, 07:26 PM
Did somebody flatulate? I thought I heard something.

adshuraj777
01/30/2004, 07:31 PM
rofl,
hehe, he said...flatulate...hehe...

Oldschooler
01/30/2004, 10:43 PM
Should we call Oregon state officials and warn them?

cwa46
01/30/2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Oldschooler
Should we call Oregon state officials and warn them?

If I were you I would, they have very favorable unemployment benefits. You could try there after you store fails.

wooglin
01/30/2004, 11:37 PM
You know what cwa46 you are a *****!!! You are absolutly one of the prickiest people I have ever encountered on the Internet forum scene. Just go away. You dont like EB its not serious enough, so go away. Dont shop there, dont talk those of us that do, just buzz off. No one wants you here.

You know what they call people like you in the forum world?

TTTTT RRRRRRR OOOOO LLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLL SSSSSSSSSS

cwa46
01/30/2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by wooglin
You know what cwa46 you are a *****!!! You are absolutly one of the prickiest people I have ever encountered on the Internet forum scene. Just go away. You dont like EB its not serious enough, so go away. Dont shop there, dont talk those of us that do, just buzz off. No one wants you here.

You know what they call people like you in the forum world?

TTTTT RRRRRRR OOOOO LLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLL SSSSSSSSSS

God you ruined my whole day, week, year, life, well iits pretty bad being chastized by mean old wooglin. I will never recover from you verbal attack. OH, God I am ruined!

adshuraj777
01/30/2004, 11:58 PM
you may want to consider contacting martha stewart. your pithy rebuttals could undoubtedly be an asset to her in her current dillema.

hey, who knows, if you get her off you two could start some kind of useless home crafts/remodeling show together.

Oldschooler
01/30/2004, 11:59 PM
Hey guys, don't let him bring you down to his level. It's okay for ME, 'cause I'm ALREADY at his level! LOL But not fishdoc, adshuraj, wooglin, etc.

The rest of you guys are great -really. But this guy is NOT hurting anyone but himself by wasting his own time. Seems to me if he truly was worth what he THINKS he is, he wouldn't be wasting his time posting his crap here. I can't speak for everyone else, but he's HELPING us at E-bay. We were SLAMMED-busy today (which is good AND bad, since once again I didn't get more than a five-minute break all day) and more than a few people said they came in because of the forum! And forget the store for a minute! All these new customers, regardless of whether they drop money in our store or not, whether they remain "loyal" or not (whatever THAT means), will eventually grow and spend money in OTHER areas of the hobby, thus making it grow for EVERY ONE OF US.

Really, this twerp is helping to make it interesting. Everyone loves a good fight, whether it be on a football field (ugh), in a boxing ring, in a political debate, or two hot women in a mud-wrestling match! LOL And frankly, I'm VERY grateful he's not any wittier than he is! It's almost like he's holding back... Making it too easy...

Which reminds me... Cwb, the fourth grade just called... They said they want their "come-backs" BACK (if you're through with them, of course). :)

A. Critter Killer
01/31/2004, 04:03 AM
I just gotta say...OTFLMAO!!

cwa46
01/31/2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by adshuraj777
you may want to consider contacting martha stewart. your pithy rebuttals could undoubtedly be an asset to her in her current dillema.

hey, who knows, if you get her off you two could start some kind of useless home crafts/remodeling show together.

You mean like a fish store?

fishdoc11
01/31/2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah, there it goes again. Sounds like a bunch of empty, fecal laden hot air to me.

cwa46
01/31/2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah, there it goes again. Sounds like a bunch of empty, fecal laden hot air to me.

If you didn't sleep under the covers, you could avoid most of it!

slowlrnr
01/31/2004, 05:07 PM
Although I was astounded buy the turnout and expertice(in the room), I found the company enjoyable and the conversation didactic. Can't wait for the next dinner!

slowlrnr

fishdoc11
01/31/2004, 06:15 PM
Hey slowlrnr! I'm looking forward to the next one as well.

cwa46
01/31/2004, 06:57 PM
Meeee Tooooooo!

fishdoc11
01/31/2004, 08:15 PM
There goes that noise again. Weak and faint but none the less putrid.

cwa46
02/01/2004, 06:44 AM
There goes that noise again. Weak and faint but none the less putrid.

:D

JohnL
03/04/2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by wooglin
You know what cwa46 you are a *****!!!

wooglin, I suggest you read the user agreement and keep the following RC policy in mind.

[flamealert]