PDA

View Full Version : feeding large tanks

gwrulzmylife
01/25/2004, 04:43 PM
what's everyone's feeding schedule on their large tanks?

Currently I'm feeding pellets one day, then a frozen "cocktail" and 2 teaspoons phytoplankton the other day. Although I have some algae concerns, it's not excessive, and I do have a LARGE clean-up crew, but only 2 stars (serpent and sand sifting). Should I scale back my feedings? The fish always seems hungry, and any (non-live) food I add seems to be gone within 5 minutes.

Cheers and happy reefing!

dgasmd
01/25/2004, 04:52 PM
I feed once per day only. I have a lot of fish, in reality more than even I think I should have, but they seem to be doing well on that regimen. I feed 2 sheets of nori on 2 clips to bulk up and some flakes for the ones that don't eat the nori. When the nori is ogne, which is about 20 min., I will feed my homemade frozen food. I leave it thawing so that it is ready to go by the time the nori is gone. I feed a lot of it. The tank looks like it is full of sand in the water by the end of the feeding time. In about 1 hour, it is crystal clear again.

SamsonNY
01/26/2004, 09:20 AM
I feed dry (formula 2 pellets, spirulina wafers and freeze-dried krill) throughout the day (two auto-feeders feeding every hour on the hour from noon to 7 pm). Each feeding is very small though.

Then, at night, they get cut-up shrimp and frozen angel formula.

I like the auto-feeders since they get a little something all day long versus one huge feeding at night (which is what I used to do). Plus, the feeders drop food in the middle front of the tank. Keeps the fish constantly swimming there waiting for food to drop. Makes for a very nice display right in the center of the tank.

:cool:

MAS
01/26/2004, 06:46 PM
I feed a quarterpounder cheeseburger twice a day to my tanks =) Well, actually it SEEMS like I feed that twice a day. I actually do a mix of 2-3 different flakes along with cut up fresh seafood of squid,clam,whatever the cheapest sea fish is,some sea scallops along with all the juices. Tank goes crazy as soon as it hits the water. Some of my corals thrive off the juice that floats through the water, best food and its dirt cheap. On occasion I do give the fish some daphnia and mysis shrimp. The amount though that I dump in would probably freak out 99% of the folks on this board regardless of tank sizing. Take what everyone else here probably feeds their tank in a week, I put in on a feeding. I do have the benefit of massive redundant protein skimming system(Currently a Euro-reef CS8-3EXT,CS12-2EXT, and CS12-6, eventually the 12-6 will be replaced with my new dual tower RK25 w/ozone unit)for only 1500g of water along with 2000lbs live rock.

dgasmd
01/28/2004, 11:03 PM
Well, after seeing that MAS feeds a quaterpounder with cheese, I felt a little inadequate.

So, as I was talking today to someone about my fish, we got talking as to how much I have to feed because of some of the larger fish I have. I mentioned what my batfish alone eats and what I feed daily and I wished I had a camera to capture the jaws droping since they believed I fed the fish more in one day than they did in 3 weeks combined. So, it got me thinking that you always hear other people say "I feed a lot" or see threads about it, but you never see a quantity attached to the statement. I understand that very much depends on how many fish, how big, tank size, etc., but I just wanted to get an idea on quantity.

Here is what I feed in my once per day session:
-2 sheets of nori. Almost an entire sheet gets eaten by my large batfish (Tiera). I wait for the nori to be gone (10-20 min. before feeding the frozen food).
-2 baby food jars full of my homemade frozen food. An entire jar gets eaten by the batfish alone and then the other by all the other fish combined.

Tell me what you feed and how much please.
Here are a couple of shots

dgasmd
01/28/2004, 11:04 PM
Another